TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Aintzane411 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Oliver

Unhappy How do I help my friend? - February 26th 2011, 09:58 PM

So, a couple of friends and I were at a sleepover last night and we started playing Truth or Truth (No Dare, since it was late at night. ). One of my friends asked the group if anyone had attempted suicide. We all said no, but she said that she has attempted five times before. She openly explained to us what she had done, which included pills, knives, and a gun. It really worried me.

I'm also 90% sure that she cuts herself. A few times she's made remarks about cutting, and I can't figure out how to approach her. I cut, too, but not as much as I think she does.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to talk to her about this? Her last suicide attempt was only a few months ago, she told us. I'm really worried about her, but I don't want to do anything that might make things worse. I don't want to lose my friend...
  Send a message via AIM to Aintzane411  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: How do I help my friend? - February 26th 2011, 10:30 PM

Hey Amelia, and welcome to TH. I'm glad that you want to help your friend. Actually, it's been proven that talking about suicide with someone won't "put the idea in their head" or make a situation worse. Let her know that you want to talk about it because you care and you're worried about her. Suggest that she tell an adult who can help or get her help and be there to support her.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lynne Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lynne

Re: How do I help my friend? - February 27th 2011, 04:14 AM

one of the best things you can do is just be a good friend. and let her know that your there from her.

"Flick a swith (*snap!) I want you to give yourself permission and the power to say (*Snap!) F IT! I'm going to be happy! i'm going to enjoy my life! and I'm not going to let anyone or anything ruin my day, and ruin my life!"
-whatthebuck

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Aintzane411 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: How do I help my friend? - February 27th 2011, 04:22 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Just one more question, for anyone who has input. How should I approach her? I think it would be a little awkward for both of us at school, especially since one of the girls who was at the sleepover is one of our best friends. Should I talk to our best friend and have both of us talk to her? Or would that be too much like "ganging up" on her? Hmm.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How do I help my friend? - February 27th 2011, 05:55 AM

Be supportive, tell her you're there for her and to listen. Doesn't seem like much but trust me, it makes a world of difference to some people.

EDIT: as for your other question, I guess it doesn't really matter; if she's touchy, she's touchy. If both you and your friends feel the same way, approach her and let her know everyone cares about her.

Carpe Diem: Seize the Day/Moment. -Horace

Veni, Vidi, Vici: I came, I saw, I conquered -Julius Caesar

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Ancora Imparo Offline
XVI VIII MMXIV. ♥
I've been here a while

Name: Jake

Re: How do I help my friend? - February 27th 2011, 09:25 AM

Hey Amelia,

I'm really sorry to hear that your friend has been struggling lately but I'm glad to see that you're wanting to support her and that you have come here to reach out and ask for advice on the best way to do that. I'm sure that there are many more people who wish they had such a concerned and willing to help friend like you are.

As for actually bringing the topic of conversation up with her, that's never easy and I guess it's always going to be a little uncomfortable. Perhaps you could say something like "Hey, you know at the sleepover the other night when we were playing truth or truth and you were explaining something of the things that have happened in your past?" I guess that would be one way of approaching the topic of conversation without being completely blunt and it gives her some time to figure out where you're going with the conversation. I'm sure she won't mind because at the end of the day you just want her to know that you're there for her and that you want to support her which is what any good friend does.

If you ever want someone to talk to then feel free to PM or VM me at anytime as I'm always more than happy to talk about everything and anything. I hope that your friend is feeling better soon and that you're able to give her the support that you're so desperate to give her. I hope that I was able to help you in one way or another!

Take care. <3

When we're lost in the madness, kindness is wisdom.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Ancora Imparo 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Aintzane411 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: How do I help my friend? - March 2nd 2011, 04:59 AM

Thanks for the advice, you guys. I'll definetly keep all this in mind. I ended up telling my mom and my own therapist, and they gave me suggestions as well. My mom and I are probably going to take her to coffee or ice cream to just talk, the three of us.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How do I help my friend? - March 2nd 2011, 07:09 AM

Good luck, hope all goes well.

Carpe Diem: Seize the Day/Moment. -Horace

Veni, Vidi, Vici: I came, I saw, I conquered -Julius Caesar

Closed Thread