TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AmyIsLegit Offline
(:
Average Joe

Name: Amy (:

Who should I tell? Confused. - February 28th 2011, 08:22 PM

I finally decided that I really do need help. I've been on and off depressed, and suicidal. It's just not healthy to keep going through this when I have nobody to talk to. I'm unsure of who I should tell.

Choice A.
I was thinking of telling my favorite teacher. I really trust him, and he understands. He's also very trusting. I'm just afraid he's going to tell my guidance councelor(not my favorite guy), or the school board. I don't want to start a big deal, and I don't want to get my school involved in it. I just want to seek advice from him.

Choice B.
Telling my mom/dad to get me a psychologist. The problem with this, is that they don't really like.. "believe" in depression/suicidalness(?). They just think it's all in the head, so they may not even get me one then. Plus, I'm not close with my parents so it may be awkward.

I just don't know what to do. I'm going towards Choice A, but I don't know... What do you guys think? Pros/cons?

Second chances; They don't matter.
People never change.
  Send a message via AIM to AmyIsLegit Send a message via MSN to AmyIsLegit Send a message via Yahoo to AmyIsLegit Send a message via Skype™ to AmyIsLegit 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Who should I tell? Confused. - February 28th 2011, 08:37 PM

Amy,

Firstly, I think it's great that you are realizing that you need help. It's admirable for sure. :]

If you go with choice A, then it's quite possible that your teacher will only want to be of support to you, and will just talk to you. Almost as someone you can vent to. if he does refer you to the guidance counselor then maybe he has good ways to lead you in the right direction to recovery. Whether this be finding a good way to talk to your parents, or giving you healthier ways to cope. I know that he isn't your favorite guy ever, but he would be better then nothing. I highly doubt anyone is going to get the school board involved, because I don't think they handle those sorts of things. The counselor handles those things.

If you tell your parents then it's likely they won't understand. People who haven't been in those situations don't understand the feelings associated. If you decide to tell your parents, then you should do all you can to help them understand. Ask them to look outside of themselves, and put themselves in your shoes. Tell them you need counseling, or help, and you would like their support. They might not be understanding at first, but if you keep talking to them, and approaching them with the feelings you get, then eventually they are going to realize how serious this is. Parents can surprise you. Opening up to parents are hard because you never know how they are going to react. Your parents love you, and would probably do anything to support you. You should give them the benefit of the doubt :] They probably don't believe in these sorts of things, simply because they don't understand. They haven't been there. That's why you need to be honest with them.

I think eventually your parents might have to find out. And if you want my opinion, I think your better off to tell both. If you tell your teacher then your guidance counselor with know, then your parents will potentially know. If you tell your parents then your parents will know. By telling both, you are strengtheing and expanding your support system. It doesn't have to be an either/or choice. Obviously do only what you feel comfortable with, as this is your recovery, and you decide where it's going to go.

I hope this helped, and not confused you even more. Haha.
If you ever need anything, let me know! :]

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
♥Bliz Offline
Frosted but not frozen
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kyle

Re: Who should I tell? Confused. - February 28th 2011, 10:27 PM

Well if your parent's aren't understandning then it's best to not go to them, now I'd go with friends, but if you think this teacher can help, them talk with him.

If you ever need it, I'm here to help, talk, or whatever! ~~Kyle
Suicide helplines:
1-800-SUICIDE (784-2433) or 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
  Send a message via Yahoo to ♥Bliz  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
*CatchingStars* Offline
Healing my soul
I've been here a while

Name: Corri

Re: Who should I tell? Confused. - February 28th 2011, 10:56 PM

well if you tell a teacher there going to call your parents anyway thats what happened to me cuz if they dont and they find out they knew then the person will get in trouble so either way your parents will find out and the teacher probably will tell your couselor or just tell your parents but it will be awkward telling your parents my house was very awkward for mant days but it might be better to just tell your teacher and let him tell your parents i was directed to see a theripist of course my parents wont take me but hopefully your will best of luck

Life is too

Short to spend

It at war with

Yourself.

Im catching stars in the sky because I am fixing the soul within me. May it be from the heart a girl broke years ago or my soul simply repairing itself as it was shattered on my walk on this earth. May the stardust fill those cracks within my soul making me brand new, but never forgetting who I once was.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
AmyIsLegit Offline
(:
Average Joe

Name: Amy (:

Re: Who should I tell? Confused. - March 1st 2011, 10:37 AM

Thanks guys!
Kyle, see. I'd tell my friends, but my friends aren't even close to understanding. That's the only reason.

Second chances; They don't matter.
People never change.
  Send a message via AIM to AmyIsLegit Send a message via MSN to AmyIsLegit Send a message via Yahoo to AmyIsLegit Send a message via Skype™ to AmyIsLegit 
Closed Thread