TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Life17 Offline
Average Joe

Anyone? - March 5th 2011, 04:01 AM

I have been force to believe that I am not the only person in this world that is going through major depression. So I was just wondering for the people who share this disease with me what do you all do when you have a major depressive episode, and what do you do when things get unbelievably hard.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Quartet Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Melanie

Re: Anyone? - March 5th 2011, 04:54 AM

Blah, I had written you a very long in depth message, but I lost it.
I will try and get all the same information out before the browser logs me out again =/

I don't suffer from depression anymore, occasionally I'll have a bad day, but it is very rare. I went through a series of steps found on this website: http://www.ilovepanicattacks.com/ which helped me with both my anxiety level as well as my stress/depression level. I am not sure if you have either, but the book he sells talks about everything related.

Anyways, another thing that helped me a lot was the support level around me. I have so many caring people in my life right now it's crazy, but I know its because I've become so positive over the last few years I've been able to sort of use my positive energy to "pull" them to me, if that makes sense. Once you start to rid yourself of the depression, it will be easier to talk to people and connect more.

Being where you are now, I can imagine the depression feels like it's consuming you. The first thing to getting away from that is to fight that depressive state. You wont get out of the depression unless you want it.

Here is a list of the things I did when I felt depressed/upset/confused/stressed/insert-negative-feeling here:

1. Find out what is the main cause of sadness. What is eating at you. Once you have that in your mind, discard it. You cannot dwell on something that will only bring you more negative thoughts. A quote from a good book I once read, don't focus on the problem, think of the solution.

2. The solution. Write down your goals. If you don't have any yet, here is one: Obtain happiness. Goals are important because when you are able to visualize what you want from life, it is easier to push aside the negative things effecting you currently.

3. Occupy your mind. It is not healthy to dwell, as I stated previously. Do everything humanly possible to keep yourself busy. Make a Happy-Go-Lucky music mix with all the best songs. Find Comedians only that are hilarious (Dane Cook, Robin Williams, George Carlin, Mitch Hedberg, Dat Phan, Chris Rock, Louis CK, etc, etc). Read a books, try to find ones that are more motivational, like Anyway ~ The Paradoxical Commandments by Kent M. Keith (read this when I was 17, changed my life, I swear).
4. Find support. Having support at this point is crucial. It's a great thing you have this site, there are a ton of individuals that know what you're going through and those that are capable of giving you great advice. If you have anyone in your life that's able to be there for you, even better. Try and be around that person, play a game with them. Let them know what's going on. It feels better to talk about your feelings. Talking about it is very different than dwelling, because the other person you;re talking to might be able to shed light on the situation.

5. Be strong. It's not easy going through this and it will be a journey getting yourself to where you want, but you NEED to make the effort and you have to WANT to feel better. There are many people in life that stay depressed because they refuse to change their lives.

Colours De Moi

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Anyone? - March 5th 2011, 07:15 AM

I had it back in the summer and what I did is this:

1. Go out and exercise regularly, especially when it's sunny out: I've read that the sun's vitamin D helps improve your mood. This, along with the exercise, should really help if you're committed to it.

2. Go out with friends a lot: This takes some pain off your shoulders as you'll find yourself having a good time and regularly forgetting about your troubles. Do it regularly, even if it's just to the park. If your friends know about what you're going through and care about you, they'll understand.

3. Tell someone: Tell whoever you trust the most. Whether that is a parent, adult, or friend. You have no idea how much this helps, even if it seems like very little.

4. Be motivated: you have to understand severe depression takes a lot of work to shrug off. Hold your head high through the toughest of times, and tell yourself in the end, it's you that's going to win; this will eventually go away.

5. Understand that you have support: Remember there's people that are willing to listen to you. I'm sure your teachers, friends, parents, and other family are willing to listen to you. If you want to talk to someone else, there's always help hot lines, and us. You have many options, you just have to realize it!

Carpe Diem: Seize the Day/Moment. -Horace

Veni, Vidi, Vici: I came, I saw, I conquered -Julius Caesar

(#4 (permalink)) Old
*AbbyRoad Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Abby Woodendale

Re: Anyone? - March 6th 2011, 04:59 AM

I have depression. I almost commit suscide. It really hurts at time.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Life17 Offline
Average Joe

Re: Anyone? - March 7th 2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyLove View Post
I have depression. I almost commit suscide. It really hurts at time.
I'm afraid I'm getting to that point

Closed Thread