TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Unhappy Why don't I want to smile? - March 6th 2011, 09:02 PM

Seriously? Even at my own sisters birthday party, where everyone was up and dancing, I just say there trying to smile and make myself feel better.

It didn't work. I felt like I was ruining the party because everyone wanted me to dance but I just wanted to sit on my own.

It's been days now. After I cheered up a bit, I started feeling like this again. Nothing even caused it this time that I'm aware of. It just happened. Usually there's a cause.

Am I over reacting with this? Should I just forget that I'm feeling down and smile until I'm happy again? (I honestly don't think it works that way, but who knows??)

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#2 (permalink)) Old
kitkat_kate Offline
Average Joe

Name: Katie

Re: Why don't I want to smile? - March 7th 2011, 04:54 AM

Hey, Hollie! What you are describing sounds like typical depression. I can only guess who difficult this is. Having been through depression myself, the best advice I can give you is more consolation than anything: these feelings do get better, you just have to fight for it sometimes.

That's hard, but I can tell that you can do it! You're nervous about this whole situation, and I promise you that you can do it! Keep your chin up, lady!

I hope you can find someone to talk to, maybe a therapist or your parents, about how you're feeling. They might be able to give you better insight. The most important thing I can say is to not just give up. You aren't feeling happy, and that is not okay! Please keep fighting to be enjoying life. You deserve that much!

Putting on a happy face is not a way to live life, and there is so much more beyond that! I hope you are able to see that and find help. I promise, Hollie, you're not alone!

If you need anything, please PM me. I wish you the best. Keep your chin up and take care of yourself!

-Kate

i am not my scars and my history
i am, i am, i am who i am...i am who i am.
there are true things inside of me;
i have been afraid to see.

Send a message via MSN to kitkat_kate Send a message via Skype™ to kitkat_kate 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
yoloyoloyolo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: yo

Re: Why don't I want to smile? - March 7th 2011, 05:02 AM

Hey Hollie!

Believe me when I say that I know the feeling. I used to be incredibly depressed, and would go days feeling tired and miserable. I wouldn't see the point in going to school, or the point in pretty much anything. Questions like, "Why do I matter?" "Why am I here?" "Why should I care?" Would constantly pop up in my head. I just felt so insignificant compared to everything else.

I know that the reasons why people feel depressed are often varied and different, but the solution is the same, or similar enough in all cases. Happiness is a choice. Sometimes it comes easily, and sometimes we have to fight for it. Sometimes we know the reasons, and sometimes, we just get feelings that things aren't going to be great. But we can always choose to be happy.

If you're feeling down, ask yourself why. Why am I sad? What's happened? And does it matter to you, really? Your boyfriend broke up with you, so what? You know that you're a good person. You know that there is someone out there who will love you for you, so why bother with someone that you'd have to convince? He wouldn't be worth your time.

Choose to be happy. Flush the negative out of your life, and bring in the positive. I know that sometimes, that's easier said than done, but please, really take the time to evaluate your life, and what could be causing you to feel sad.

If you need help with any of this, PM me. I may not respond immediately, but I'll always read and respond to your message.

Follow on Twitter @Thomas_TGT

TUMBLR: http://thomasdlesnick.tumblr.com
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/thomas.lesnick

I play in a new band called "The Gentlemen Thieves"
www.thegentlementhieves.com

YouTube: http://youtube.com/user/drumminggod91

"Let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic, and we will change the world." - Jack Layton

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Why don't I want to smile? - March 7th 2011, 04:41 PM

Thank you, both of you.

I'm feeling a lot happier today, and hopefully it will stay that way. Your replies were really nice, and I totally understand what you mean, especially about happiness being a choice, and I'm going to keep telling myself that. I will keep looking for the cause of why I feel so down, and when I find it I'll do my best to fix it. I don't like feeling like this, I don't think anyone does.

Thanks for taking time to reply, and for the offers to PM you. I'll keep it in mind if I ever need somebody to talk to. Thank you again!

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

Closed Thread