TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
T.J..Anderson Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy My little sister... - March 15th 2011, 09:40 PM

Recently my little sister has come to live me, our biological parents abused her, she has several metal illness's and her brain is developed about the age of young child between 5-9, they can't really pin point it. I noticed she has started acting strange, like depressed, she has been bursting into tears for no reason, she has been acting sad and detached from everyone. I'm scared for her... Can a child of a mind that young even be depressed?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
annalibelle Offline
Jane Doe
Not a n00b

Name: Annabelle

Re: My little sister... - March 16th 2011, 02:15 AM

Hmm well again I'm no professional but a child of any age can be depressed. In fact there was a new york times magazine article about it . How ever if she does have severe mental problems, them might be an offshoot of that, and not clinical depression. Crying is a symptom of many things. I suggest asking her school counseller to see her or just going to see her pediatrician.

"Every mushroom cloud has a silver lining"- Owl City

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Anatidaephobia Offline
Smile :) You're beautiful!
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emma

Re: My little sister... - March 16th 2011, 05:22 AM

Firstly welcome to TH
I'm sorry your going through this and it must be difficult and you are a been a wonderful sibling even though the situation is tough
Children of young ages can be depressed. However the crying may be a symptom of other mental illnesses too, not just depression. Could your parents take her to see a pediatrition? That is the best way to find out what's wrong and get your sister help.
If you ever need to talk feel free to pm me

xxxxxxx Take care xxxxxxx

If you ever need ANYTHING just ask (:
Feel Free to leave me a message anytime:
VmPM

I won't let you close enough to hurt me
help link mentor Live help operator
  Send a message via MSN to Anatidaephobia Send a message via Skype™ to Anatidaephobia 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: My little sister... - March 16th 2011, 07:15 AM

Like above, you can be any age and be diagnosed with depression. Along with all of the events that she has been through, being with abusive parents, it is no wonder she is so depressed. Support her. Love her. Don't treat her any different. I don't know your exact situation, so I can't really tell you whether or not to see a doctor about your sister, but if she has mental issues, then you probably should. I just want you to know, that you should show love to her. No matter what. She is still your sister. Whether she has mental illnesses or not. She has gone through rough times, and all you can do is show her good love.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: My little sister... - March 16th 2011, 07:22 AM

I'm not an expert but I would say anybody at any reasonable age can get depressed depending what what they're going through/what they've gone through. It looks as though your sister has gone through some really difficult times so she has a good reason to be depressed in my opinion.

Carpe Diem: Seize the Day/Moment. -Horace

Veni, Vidi, Vici: I came, I saw, I conquered -Julius Caesar

Closed Thread