TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
you'rebeautiful Offline
believe it :)
Average Joe

Name: Ada

depression, simply enough. - March 16th 2011, 04:04 AM

Gotta admit, I'm kindof at a loss here.
Every year or so I have a series of major depressive episodes, and they're like nothing I could even begin to describe. Lately things have been bad, and although I've definitely been coping, I'm afraid that this might escalade into something that I'll regret (I've not been coping in the smartest or most healthy of ways...) and I'm afraid that when I go to University it might be more difficult to handle. My depression is usually fairly manageable... (exercise, meditation, all that 'hippie' jazz) so I'm not up for starting on pills. And as a poor-student-to-be, I'm not sure what I'll be able to afford, in terms of therapy... but these 'episodes' last for months at a time, and they feel like so much longer... almost unbearable at their worst. Ideas?

I believe thatyou're inherently beautiful : )

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: depression, simply enough. - March 16th 2011, 04:45 AM

Well I'm not sure on your point of view on mental health, seeing as you're not willing to try medciation. It sounds to me like you might have some sort of disorder (beyond just "simple" major depressive disorder) that would cause you to have repeated depressive episodes yearly. I don't know what that might be called, but I do remember reading about it at one point in time. The thing with this disorder, like many others, is that the best form of treatment is a combination of therapy and medication. If it's not something you're willing to try, or maybe just can't afford than I'm not sure what to say. I know that some areas have free therapy clinics you can go to on a walk-in basis so that might be one thing to look into, but medication is going to cost money no matter what so I'm at a loss there.
There are some things that just can't be dealt with simply with "hippie jazz". I know I really didn't want to try medication or any of that and wanted to deal with my issues in my own way, but in the end it just wasn't possible.

Either way, I'd go to a doctor and ask what they suggest or think, make sure it's someone who knows what they're talking about as a lot of general physicians seem to think they're qualified when they really aren't for this sort of thing.
Best of luck.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
you'rebeautiful Offline
believe it :)
Average Joe

Name: Ada

Re: depression, simply enough. - March 16th 2011, 07:20 PM

Oh dear I didn't mean to imply that a major depressive episode, or depression itself, is somehow a 'simple' matter, but rather that I found my current situation to be, well, lacking urgency. Kind of an attempt to indicate that this post isn't one expressing any sort of immediate danger.

Yeah, therapy + meds seems to be the general consensus for treatment when it comes to any sort of mood disorder. I dunno... I'm quite iffy when it comes to meds; I don't even take Tylenol. But I'm thinking that I do need help.

I believe thatyou're inherently beautiful : )

(#4 (permalink)) Old
floatingangel Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: depression, simply enough. - March 24th 2011, 12:54 AM

hey ada, it must have been worrying for those depressive episodes to occur.. and it's easy to get the feeling that it's a matter of time before you lose control over it..
can you find out if your university have counseling services? it would help to have a professional talk through your problems with you, and to suggest the next step (but it's still up to you if you'd want to take the next step)
if the university doesn't have such services, do try to find someone to talk to, who you think will not judge you. if you want, you can pm me (:
sounds like you're trying hard to keep your emotions and your episodes in check and finding ways to cope, which is really awesome! i hope that you would continue to do that. and it's not going to be easy to get out of this but there is hope, especially with your fighting attitude (:

and the voice of truth tells me a different story
the voice of truth says "do not be afraid"

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: depression, simply enough. - March 24th 2011, 04:56 AM

I would just start by seeing a counselor. At universities, there are many you can go to at the health center, but also some that you can go to at clinics and such.
I get what you mean about medication, I'm not a big fan of them either. I believe many forms of depression do not need them, and that often, you just need to change something in your life style. I understand you being skeptical of them, and you really don't need to be considering them if you haven't talked to someone first.
But hey, I'm a hippie too.
But I would see if you can talk to someone, for sure.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
Closed Thread