TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

best friend &suicide? - March 17th 2011, 09:12 PM

I know someone who has admited to me that they've thought about suicide before.. She's my best friend. She's a really emotional person, but she keeps everything inside. I can always tell when something is wrong with her, and it seems like she's always down lately. I can never seem to get her to tell me what's wrong. I'm getting really worried about her because she's been having a lot of crying episodes and no one knows why.. I'm really worried she's going to or might be thinking about suicide again. & I have no idea what to do anymore... What do I do? How do I get her to open up more?

Last edited by PSY; March 18th 2011 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Moved thread to the "Depression and Suicide" forum.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
facade Offline
I've been here a while

re: best friend &suicide? - March 18th 2011, 12:03 AM

Hey there <3
I think it's great that you care for your best friend and are concerned for her. (:
My advice is, try not to push her too much. Just simply let her know that you are always going to be there for her and if she ever needs someone to talk to, she can come to you.
Maybe you can tell her something about you that she doesn't know? Something personal? Like how she admitted she thought of suicide. Like if you once thought about suicide, tell her that. But mention how you didn't give up and how much you appreciated that someone was there for you when you needed it. Or something like that.

Just tell her how much you care about her as a best friend, and that you don't want to push her into talking you're just concerned.

I hope things with your best friend start looking up. <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I Miss You Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Drew

Re: best friend &suicide? - March 18th 2011, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makingitthrough22 View Post
I know someone who has admited to me that they've thought about suicide before.. She's my best friend. She's a really emotional person, but she keeps everything inside. I can always tell when something is wrong with her, and it seems like she's always down lately. I can never seem to get her to tell me what's wrong. I'm getting really worried about her because she's been having a lot of crying episodes and no one knows why.. I'm really worried she's going to or might be thinking about suicide again. & I have no idea what to do anymore... What do I do? How do I get her to open up more?

well ...what you need to do first ..is to ressure her that your her freind and you will do anything to help her..

tell her that you are worried about her and that suicide is not the answer...

do her parents know what is going on?...

just let her know that you will always be there for her..no matter what

hope this helps...
Drew
  Send a message via MSN to I Miss You  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: best friend &suicide? - March 18th 2011, 07:12 AM

When a friend doesn't really feel comfortable telling you, and have let you know, the best thing to do is to not urge them on; don't force them to tell you. Be supportive and let them you you're there for them if and when they decide it's best to tell someone.

Just tell her this is normal, and is fairly common among people her age. Tell her she's not the only one, and that there's people out there who can help, if only she gave them a try.

Good luck. Carpe Diem.

Carpe Diem: Seize the Day/Moment. -Horace

Veni, Vidi, Vici: I came, I saw, I conquered -Julius Caesar

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: best friend &suicide? - March 19th 2011, 01:18 AM

I believe that if you think your friend is contemplating suicide, you need to tell a trusted adult about it: Your parents, her parents, teacher, school counselor, principal. Anyone willing to help and that can provide the help for her. Being emotional and keeping those emotions inside is never fun, since it gets bottled up until something is done about it.
You also need to be there for her. Tell her that your always going to be there, and will always be her friend, but you'd wish that she'd open up more about what she's feeling. She needs to know that she can trust you, which could be the reason why she doesn't share her emotions with anyone.
There are websites on the net that can tell you signs that someone is contemplating suicide. Maybe you could do a quick search for one, check out the signs and then apply them to your friend and see if suicide is really the issue.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
bethhhjo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Beth-Jo

Re: best friend &suicide? - March 24th 2011, 08:50 PM

Maybe, what you need to do, is insanely simple.
Make her happy?
So that she doesn't want to commit suicide. Talk to her, and tell her exactly how you feel. I know if i knew my best friend was even contemplating suicide, I would rush over to her house with a fat bar of chocolate and some tissues and spill my heart about how much I loved her and couldn't live without her and that she could talk to me about anything ect. Because I literally could not live without my best friend, and I'm guessing neither can you. My little scenario sounds stupid, but seriously, you just have to make her feel wanted. Show her she's not alone, give her someone to talk to, and make her life worth living!:-)
Hope I helped, feel free to talk to me anytime!:-) xxxxxxx

Closed Thread