TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
jm7 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jennifer

Question am I depressed ? - March 20th 2011, 01:52 AM

Hello, I am 17 years old and was wondering if I am depressed and don't know it, because I don't think I've ever been.

Depression is hereditary in my family, because my uncle is, and my mother has been before.
I don't feel interested in doing things I once thought was fun (like sleepovers, etc,.). I don't have horrible grades, but I have a harder time finishing homework and am less motivated in school. I'm overwhelmed with the stress I have; there's pressure put on me to get my driver's license, finish SATs, regular schoolwork, and planning for college.
During school, I usually just sit with one person, which is my very close friend, and I don't mind it, but last year I had a lot more friends and I found school a pleasant place to go to (kind of). Now I'm just terribly bored.
I love my parents, but lately they annoy me a lot and I don't know why. I feel like they're constantly judging me and are against me. In a way I feel lonely, like no one is on my side. Basically I'm bored, lonely, angry, and stressed. I used to think it was just a teenage thing, but I just want to make sure, because I'm just not motivated to do anything anymore. Maybe I have low serotonin or dopamine ? I don't know anymore.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Blair Offline
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Blair

Re: am I depressed ? - March 20th 2011, 02:00 AM

Hey, I'm sorry you're going through a tough time right now. Sometimes it's not easy to tell if things are in a normal balance or not. I'd suggest you talk to your doctor. They'll have ways of figuring out if what's causing you to feel this way is medical or just teenage. Either way, talking to someone about what's going on with you if you aren't already can really help.

Just Keep Breathing

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Silver Halide Offline
Average Joe

Re: am I depressed ? - March 20th 2011, 03:16 AM

That is one of the common issues with depression. It's harder to diagnose when it's not present to an extreme.

If you are worried, as the previous poster mentioned, you should see a psychological professional about it. They can help you figure out if you are, in fact, depressed through a series of diagnostic measures.

That aside, it looks like you are going through a lot of stressful situations lately and that can take a lot of energy out of you. Coping with stress can take a lot of effort and the energy loss from that can manifest as depression.

No matter how you move forward, know that you will feel better, especially given the foresight you've displayed by seeking answers on this tough issue.

Closed Thread