TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jayme

Question Suicide for Christians - April 2nd 2011, 01:12 PM

Not sure if this belongs in suicide or religion... move it if im wrong
ok so my whole life i was raised christian. I was in christian school thru 9th grade. Id say 90% of people i talked to in christan school were sure that suicide is a one way ticket to Hell. Honestly i gave up the whole faith thing a while ago.. but this is starting to bug me. Someone gave me the reason that Judas commited suicide and we all know he went to hell. I have two issues here.
1: If Judas hadent betrayed Jesus, then Jesus wouldnt have died and wouldnt have come back to 'save the world'. So did God figure "one mans soul is a fair trade off for the world"? cuz thats really lame... did Judas have a choice there? or did God basically decide his fate at creation?
2: Judas aside, What about Samson??? From what i remember in that story, He lost his strength and became a prisioner cuz he disobeyed god. But then he prayed for one final burst of strength and destroyed the building holding all his captors (but he also killed himself in the process!!). He knew full well he was gonna die along with them. I mean, God even supplied him with the strenght to kill himself! Isnt that condoning suicide? again did god just say.. "oh well, Samson is beyond help...he might as well kill some Philistines on his way to hell".?? Cuz i always believed Samson went to heaven...but if everyone i talked to in Christian school is correct...then how could he? He willingly killed himself... which is suicide, which is a ticket to Hell.
Ok sorry this is so long... these questions are just really bugging me. Any opinions or clarification would be appreciated

"One day at a time, this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering." -Ida Scott Taylor

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Suicide for Christians - April 3rd 2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewhisperer28 View Post
Not sure if this belongs in suicide or religion... move it if im wrong
ok so my whole life i was raised christian. I was in christian school thru 9th grade. Id say 90% of people i talked to in christan school were sure that suicide is a one way ticket to Hell. Honestly i gave up the whole faith thing a while ago.. but this is starting to bug me. Someone gave me the reason that Judas commited suicide and we all know he went to hell. I have two issues here.
1: If Judas hadent betrayed Jesus, then Jesus wouldnt have died and wouldnt have come back to 'save the world'. So did God figure "one mans soul is a fair trade off for the world"? cuz thats really lame... did Judas have a choice there? or did God basically decide his fate at creation?
2: Judas aside, What about Samson??? From what i remember in that story, He lost his strength and became a prisioner cuz he disobeyed god. But then he prayed for one final burst of strength and destroyed the building holding all his captors (but he also killed himself in the process!!). He knew full well he was gonna die along with them. I mean, God even supplied him with the strenght to kill himself! Isnt that condoning suicide? again did god just say.. "oh well, Samson is beyond help...he might as well kill some Philistines on his way to hell".?? Cuz i always believed Samson went to heaven...but if everyone i talked to in Christian school is correct...then how could he? He willingly killed himself... which is suicide, which is a ticket to Hell.
Ok sorry this is so long... these questions are just really bugging me. Any opinions or clarification would be appreciated
As to your second question, there's a difference between suicide and sacrifice. For example, my hero, Rommel, died by poisining himself to keep his family and friends from being executed, or a soldier jumping on a grenade to save his friends, you are protecting others as opposed to taking the coward's way out yourself.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Silver Halide Offline
Average Joe

Re: Suicide for Christians - April 3rd 2011, 12:57 PM

In the instance of Samson it was more of a martyrdom than a suicide. The difference being the intent of self-sacrifice to harm people deemed wicked.

As for Judas one way to look at it is determinism, which is what you seem to be implying. In your example he was part of a divine predestination to act in that way (betraying Jesus). It does not, however, excuse us from our actions and we still have the responsibility to take ownership of them. This is mostly due to morality working within the confines of our system.

In Judas's case he still had the choice after everything played out as it did to kill himself or not.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Katley Offline
<3 <3 </3 <3
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: Suicide for Christians - April 5th 2011, 03:06 AM

I honestly do NOT believe that people go to Hell if they commit suicide. I know too many people who are very suicidal(attempted recently, many times, etc) that are my bestfriends and I KNOW that if they do ever succeed, I will see them in heaven. Heck if I ever go over the edge, Ik that my god will not send me to hell. Don't believe them.

Just rise above this
Kill them with your kindness
Ignorance is blindness
They're the ones that stand to lose

'Cause they don't even know you
All they see is SCARS
They don't see the ANGEL
Living in your heart

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
abreacti0n Offline
Scars are Silent Screams
Average Joe

Name: Maria

Re: Suicide for Christians - April 5th 2011, 06:08 PM

I don't think God will send you to hell if you commit suicide, espiacelly if the person has a chemical imbalance in the brain ... if i ever do it, i'll come back to tell you what happened :P

~ I am Lost Between Fighting and Giving Up ~

The light is always found at the end of a tunnel

Tumblr

PM / VM

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Katley Offline
<3 <3 </3 <3
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: Suicide for Christians - April 6th 2011, 12:59 AM

Hahaha Id rather u live

Just rise above this