TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
the.real Offline
just me.
Not a n00b

Name: Paige

Over the counter treatments? - April 3rd 2011, 04:57 PM

Here's some of my story from an earlier post:

"Every day is hell. I get out of bed and dread school, dread seeing people. I have been on and off depressed for seven or eight years now. I've always had an issue dealing with emotions- I never show them to others. I don't deal well with other people. For the last six months, it has been extensively awful. I've resorted to drugs and cutting. Nothing helps. I fell in love with an amazing person, only he picked someone else over me. My father is another story. He treats me as though I mean nothing to him. He's never proud of me. He criticizes everything. I'm prepared to end it. Only one person knows the real me, and even he snaps and treats me like shit sometimes. I just don't have the strength or the willpower to continue. And I don't know what to do."

Should I be on meds? And please, if you know of ANY over the counter treatments for depression or anything that improves your mood, please let me know. Please.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Over the counter treatments? - April 4th 2011, 01:05 PM

Have you been diagnosed with depression? If not, I suggest that's the first thing to do. Your doctor will be able to prescribe the right treatment for you. Sometimes this will be meds other times they'll refer you for counselling.

St. John's Wort is supposedly good for treating depression. I've never used it myself but perhaps this is something you could try. However, if you're on the contraceptive pill then it may cause it to become unaffective.
There's lots of other herbal remedies which claim to treat depression. Whether they actually work or not is controversial so it's better to go to your doctor rather than try these and find they don't work.

I'm sorry to hear that the past six months have been particularly hard. There's the Self Harm Alternatives thread which you could look at whenever you feel like cutting, it helps some people.

Also, I'm not sure what drugs you've used but if they're addictive ones (e.g heroin) it's better to get help for them sooner rather than later so I strongly suggest going to the doctor about this as soon as possible so they can support you.

As for the situation with your father have you ever tried speaking to him about this? If not, perhaps this is something you could also mention at the doctors and family therapy may be a treatment they consider.

I may not have all the advice to fix everything but I'm certainly a good listener so if you ever need to rant about life in general then you can PM me. Sometimes even just getting it out in the open can help

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Over the counter treatments? - April 4th 2011, 02:31 PM

As Cara said, St.John's Wort has a reputation behind it for treating Depression. You could also go to a Health Food Store, with different pills/vitamins/etc. and talk to them. Usually someone at the store has at least some idea of what the herbs do, and they've probably had people go in, looking for a natural way to help Depression too.

Another one I thought of is Valerian Root. Though it's commonly used as a herbal sleeping aid, I've heard it also helps with Depression, so maybe that is another one to consider if you struggle to sleep as well, especially since some people who are depressed also struggle to fall asleep.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Simplyme7 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Over the counter treatments? - April 4th 2011, 02:52 PM

5-HTP is supposed to help with depression. It gives you natural seratonin I believe. St. John's Wort is supposed to work too. HOWEVER, I have also heard that it can cause birth defects. I was under the impression that it causes them later in life, even once you've stopped it. My mom and I had found something concerning that in the past when I was looking into trying it. I may be wrong, but that is something to look into.

I'm sorry that you are going through all of this, and I agree with the previous posters that you should look into the self-harm alternatives. I know that sometimes it feels like there is no other way to get through your depression, but it is possible.

I also do suggest talking to your doctor and possibly getting put on an anti-depressant. My anti-depressant has helped me tremondously. I wish that I would have gone on it years ago instead of being afraid of them.

You can get through this. =]
If you ever need or want to talk to anyone just PM me. I'm here for you.

Take care. =]

Closed Thread