TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Bellaa Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

How do I know if I classify as depressed? - April 18th 2011, 03:54 PM

Hi all. Well, my problem here is that I don't really know if I have what you would consider a serious problem. I don't know where the line is between being a teen who naturally experiences negative emotions and being upset. How do I tell?
Why do I think I might be depressed? Well, over the last few years, but especially in the last couple of months, I experience a lot more negative emotions than positive ones I think. I get really worried and stressed and often feel tense. I feel really guilty about tiny things, sometimes I don't even know why I am feeling guilty. I guess I have quite low self-esteem. I am often just generally sad. I also sleep VERY badly, while I will be lying in bed for often longer than the average person a night, I only manage to get a few hours sleep. I think too much, often stressing.

The thing is, I don't know how to put a value to how bad it is. I don't know what is average or normal, I don't know if what I feel is normal or not. Maybe I'm unintentionally overplaying it compared to what most people would, maybe unintentionally underplaying it. I don't know.

It's not like I have any huge life problems. My mum is an alcoholic, she is drunk most nights, but that is the only thing, really, and she definitely isn't violent or really hurtful about it. My dog died two and a half years ago, she was my best friend from when I was tiny, and NO ONE realises that I still think about her a ridiculous amount, I really haven't gotten over her death and really, really miss her, even feel guilty about her death though I realise, rationally, I shouldn't, she had to be put down as she was very unwell, and she was fairly old anyway.

I also worry and stress a lot about school. I'm 18 in a few weeks, and in year 12 this year. This is just the same stuff everyone else stresses about, grades, homework, doing well enough to get a high enough ATAR score to do what I want with my life after this year. And of course guys. Again, just general stuff. I haven't had a boyfriend, never kissed a guy or anything, which sometimes I worry about as its this late. I guess guys don't show much interest in me, and I simply don't have the confidence to pursue them. Social stuff a little bit. I am at least confident that I have amazing, great friends, about 6 really close people who I know I could trust with anything and who really care about me, plus a few other good friends. Outside of that though, I am just an acquaintance, I think people more look at me as a pretty weird person or a really shy person. Not that sure which. Probably both. I just am not good socially with people I don't know well. Luckily with my good friends, I am comfortable and at ease and can really be myself, but they are the only people who really know who I am. Nevertheless, with them, I tend to hide things I'm really upset about and not talk about it. I don't want them to worry, I suppose.

Yeah, that's about it. I just don't know what to thing of my own state, how can I tell if I am depressed or just another teenager? Everyone has problems. Its not like I have anything massive, any good reason to be that bad. What do you think?

All replies appreciated. Thank you very much.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: How do I know if I classify as depressed? - April 18th 2011, 07:54 PM

Normally depression is brought on by trauma. Has anything traumatic happened recently? Like did you fail a test? Had a boyfriend leave you (Or girlfriend I guess, no one here is judging you.)? A realative died? If yes, you are likely depressed. If no, you could still be depressed, or just having a down period in your life. Everyone feels down once in a while. It's like mini depression, it only lasts a few months, and no therapy is required to get through it, however this is not always true, down times can lead to depression. Sometimes you need help to get through a down time, and sometimes you can get through depression without help. Anyway, depression is often not a lack of good thoughts, but an abundance of negative ones. Depressive people often feel things are pointless, boring, stupid, and often find it hard to find joy. This does not mean any good feelings mean you are not depressed either. It effects everyone differently. However if you are feeling sad, angry, or tired and not yourself for a long period of time, seeking professional help is a great plan, because later on through the depressive stages you won't feel like getting help.
Best of luck,

- Justin

Edit: I must have not noticed the part where you mention you have an alcoholic mother. That must be really rough. I have my own mother issues. It can be hard to feel unloved. Even if she isn't violent or mean it still is a very hard thing to go through. If you feel confident enough to get help for her, and yourself, do so. If you feel too scared, there is nothing wrong with that either.I also understand losing a pet. I live in a rural area and own lots of pets. I've watched a fox devour a whole flock of ducks right in front of me. I've seen dogs and cats of mine killed by speeding vehicles. It's rough, I understand that. Lately I've found myself attached and emotionally dependent on one of our three dogs, shaggy. He's a funny little runt. It would take me years to overcome that. That could still be a source of depression.

Also, my sister has graduated university and is off to lawschool. She 24 and never had a single date. Ever. Yet she's already more sucessful than many of her friends who have moved in with their boyfriends to be housewives for the rest of their lives. It's all about what YOU want from life. Her friends are fine with that, my sister is fine with her choices.

Last edited by NevermindMe; April 18th 2011 at 08:01 PM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Fucking Done Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How do I know if I classify as depressed? - April 19th 2011, 01:23 AM

It's hard to tell for some ...
I wasn't even aware I was depressed until suicide crossed my mind a couple times, but I was depressed way before this obviously. Mostly close friends and family can tell before you can.

Closed Thread