TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Pointless - April 21st 2011, 04:58 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I labelled this as triggering because as it's quite depressing :/

Basically the more and more I think about life and death the more pointless I think it is. Let's say I had a fantastic life, I had my dream job, was married, had kids and was just genuinely happy it will all end at one point and I will just die. All my thoughts, memories, dreams will disappear, I will no longer exist. Sure, my children will remember me and I will technically be living through them but they will die, then their children will die, then their children will die etc. etc. etc. :| There's no real point in anyone living at all.

Then when the earth will... Idk... implode on itself humans won't be alive anymore. Nobody will remember anything, everything we had done would be pointless. We may as well not have existed at all.

I don't believe in an after life so I genuinely believe our bodies will be eaten by maggots :| The maggots will die also.

Wtf is the point in anything? :|

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Pointless - April 21st 2011, 05:05 PM

Can't say I havn't thought about this myself. I often sit back and wonder why we're here, and for what cause, because yes, we're alive and that is a mirical, but we're not immortal and some day we must die, and with time, we'll be forgotten. I think though we just need to reassure ourselves that if we make an impact strong enough on people, perhaps one day we'll be remembered anyway. And maybe there is a chance that before the world ends, someone will find a way to save the people on it. No-one knows what the future holds, and I suppose not knowing is our only hope and comfort. <3

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Blair Offline
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Blair

Re: Pointless - April 21st 2011, 05:15 PM

Oh my god you have no idea how much this clicks with me. I can't tell you how many hours I've spend playing those thoghts over and over in my head trying to rationalize and find a reason for trying or living or just for this whole damn world. Here's the thing though...right now, for whatever reason, you are here. You breathe and live and feel. Why not be happy? It'll come to an end and you will dissipate, but right now you're very much a part of this cyclic ever changing world. Is there any good reason to die? There doesn't seem to be a concrete reason to live but there's also no use in giving up. Be happy in the moment because you only have so many of them and simply because it feels good. Experience as much as you can and try to impact the world for the better of those who are gonna come after you. William Shakespeare is dead. But the world of today is very much affected by his life, his thoughts, and his words. Just do your best to somehow improve the world you live in. There's nothing to lose and everything to gain in the time you do spend here

Just Keep Breathing

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Pointless - April 21st 2011, 05:44 PM

The reason I've been thinking about this more is because of Michael Jackson oddly enough. I've been listening to more of his music and to think of how much he changed pop music and is now dead depresses me :| Sure, we still have the music but we will all die and it may as well not have happened.

Also, when I'm we're dead things may as well not continue. It's like the whole "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" riddle. The "tree" is the universe but nobody is here to see it.

I suppose I should just try and live life to the full as I may as well but it amounts to nothing in the end :|

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Blair Offline
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Blair

Re: Pointless - April 21st 2011, 05:53 PM

That's the thing though. It ammounts to as much as you make it amount to. You change Fate. We all do. Who knows what the ripple effect of your life is. What you do with yourself will have an effect and through a long chain of events will always have ab effect on the world of the living. But philosophy aside, live today for today. Enjoy the simple pleasures of life

Just Keep Breathing

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Guru Offline
Kindness is magic
Not a n00b

Name: Luke

Re: Pointless - April 21st 2011, 06:27 PM

"If you spend all your time worrying about dying, living isn't going to be much fun."
Basically, I try to be optimistic and not dwell on thinking about life and death. I just try to have fun when I can, and make the most of what I have.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
silentmuffin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Pointless - April 21st 2011, 07:21 PM

I think most people think about this at some point... I know I do sometimes, and it's hard to stay motivated and happy knowing that regardless of what you do and how you live your life, eventually you're going to die and everyone is going to die and the world will end. But the more I think about it, the more I think, "who cares?"

Why does there have to be some greater "point" of it all?

There are things in life that make you feel good, happy, important, accomplished, whatever right NOW... live for those moments. Sure, they don't last forever, but they don't need to. It doesn't matter what happens after you die. If there's nothing, then there's nothing. At least enjoy your time here while you're able to get enjoyment out of anything. If there is an "afterlife" or a heaven or something, then doing what you feel is righteous and doing what makes you feel good will make that afterlife better for you.

I got really depressed after my grandmother passed away, and I wondered what the point of living and overcoming so many obstacles is if you just die anyway? But without her life, I wouldn't exist at all. I wouldn't have felt the happiness I felt when I was with her, I wouldn't remember that happiness thinking back on those times now, and I wouldn't feel the grief of not having her around anymore. And those feelings, in the moments that they happen, are what life is about. That's all being alive really is. So it's true that eventually you will die, and maybe one day no one will remember anything you did, or even that you ever existed in the first place. But the fact that you did matters to everything that comes after it, and the feelings you are able to feel while you're still here are what help to shape your actions and consequently the future long after you're gone.

The world will end someday, so you might as well live it up while it's still around.

Aš tave myliu, Nanny. I'm carrying your love with me.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Fabrication Offline
This Time I'll Make You Proud.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Re: Pointless - April 22nd 2011, 04:14 AM

I havent quite thought about this too much but when I do, I find myself wondering what Gods point was into creating us here on Earth. But I think that the reason that it has a chain is so that that world doesnt implode on itself from too much capacity. I think that it will implode from just simple nature. Like a gigantic earthquake followed by all the volcanoes going off at once, making the earths crust reopen ? I'm not sure. But all I know is that all we have to do until that day comes is just live every day full of happiness ♥

"..And if you're perusing the social media networks, I urge you to keep your fucking opinions to yourself. If you're going ruin someone's day, ruin your own."
- Bert McCracken

(#9 (permalink)) Old
abreacti0n Offline
Scars are Silent Screams
Average Joe

Name: Maria

Re: Pointless - April 22nd 2011, 06:50 PM

My God ... this is so true :/

but let's put it this way, each one of us makes a small change in the world which makes it a better place

~ I am Lost Between Fighting and Giving Up ~

The light is always found at the end of a tunnel

Tumblr

PM / VM

(#10 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Pointless - April 22nd 2011, 08:49 PM

I guess me believing in a God and an afterlife makes most of what I would normally say pretty redundant right now, so instead I'll take a completely different approach and say: who says life or the Universe has to have any purpose or point whatsoever? Its purpose may solely be to exist without needing to generate anything useful in the future, simply ticking along as a nice, stable Universe for as long as it's meant to. Our role within that may simply be to form a part of the ecosystem of the planet we inhabit and help to maintain the balance, and if we can play a part in that during our lifetimes I'd say that's a good reason to go to your grave content. Trying to find a rational point or purpose for everything in life can go one of two ways - you end up depressed when you can't find one or you go completely mad trying to find one regardless. In either case, you're not living your life and enjoying it - and, if I'm allowed to take a little liberty and bring religion into this for a moment (won't do it again, I promise ) I'd say God would want us to enjoy the gift of life while we have it. Most atheists would say the same, just without the God bit obviously. In any event, I'd say the best way to think of it is right now and for the duration of your life, you are a part of the world and you will leave your mark on it in whatever way you choose, so for however long the world exists it will be different to how it was had you not been there. All you have to do now is think about what change you want to make.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Pointless - April 22nd 2011, 09:15 PM

That's a rather negative way to think about it...

Let's say we're all living in the moment. Sure, there may be one day where the earth will cease to exist but that won't take away from everything that happened before that. Sure, there may be no one to remember it, but that doesn't take away from all the great memories and times you had.

Life after death is subject to everyone's opinion; I know people who are sure they're going to the afterlife when they die, and I know others who are extremely opposed to that and think they'll just be dead bodies when they die. In my opinion, that doesn't really matter right now, just make the most out of your life right now even if it doesn't amount to anything.

Just live in the moment, make many friends, be happy, and I'll guarantee you you won't regret it. You'll be smiling at the reflection of your life in your closing moments, and no one can take that away from you.

Carpe Diem.

Carpe Diem: Seize the Day/Moment. -Horace

Veni, Vidi, Vici: I came, I saw, I conquered -Julius Caesar

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Pointless - April 22nd 2011, 11:17 PM

Personally I am one of those people who live for the moment because I believe that everything has a reason or a point to it, good or bad and we'll learn from it. Its all about the journey. You can die doing nothing with your life or you can die having enjoyed your life and having lived the moments. Those small doses of happiness where you sit there and think god I love my life. Thats why its worth it.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread