TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
neontwirls Offline
Hiding in your shower
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lain

Question Possibly schizophrenia? - April 22nd 2011, 08:53 AM

I have been physically, emotionally and sexually abused since I was fairly young and am currently wondering if I may be experiencing the effects of PTSD or schizophrenia/bipolar disorder. On occasion I've been experiencing hallucinations of spiders crawling on my skin, occasional 'vision' and out of body experiences which are usually as if I am looking onto myself being the victim of a violent crime and occasionally hear voices in my head saying single, morbid words that relate to fire and death. Any idea as to what it may be? I'd say my best bet is to go to a doctor but I'm still fairly unsure of how I should handle this...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Possibly schizophrenia? - April 22nd 2011, 03:17 PM

Schizophernia is uncommon. I highly, highly doubt you have it. Stress can do this, and many other more common and cureable problems can do this.
First, are these dreams in which you have just completed a violent crime? I often have dreams like this, where I violently kill an innocent person, and run away feeling sick, scared and terrible. From what I understand, this is normal. Many nightmares are about killing or being killed. If these are daydreams, this is slightly more unusual and is probably a sign that something is wrong.
Secondly, out of body experience. Do you have daydreams about seeing yourself? This is also normal, simply having your mind wander into an image of yourself doing something, in reality you really aren't doing anything, your mind is imagining it. However when you come back to realality and things are different, like you've moved places, just like how you imagined it, it is a sign of a problematic disorder. I recently heard of someone who had it, but I cannot remember the specific name...

About the hallucinations of spiders, are you afraid of spiders?
If yes, you may simply have an over active mind. If I think about being cold, I can actually cause goosebumps to raise on my skin, as well as turn my skin cold. Why? Because it's actually very common, it's simply the product of an over imaginitive mind.
The hearing voices, that again could simply be imagined. A byproduct of stress, or something more serious.

All of your symptoms don't really make me think you're schizophrenic, nor bipolar.
PTSD after having traumatic experiences happen is common, and I would not be surprised if you are suffering from it. My mother has PTSD from when her father died, it's invovled in my life. Alot of people suffer from it, or know someone who does.

I would recomend seeing a doctor ASAP. I'm not a professional, but if nothing else I hope I eased your mind. However seeing a doctor NOW could save you. The sooner treatment starts the less chance you sink into whatever disorder you suffer from.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#3 (permalink)) Old
CherriesBlossom Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Katie

Re: Possibly schizophrenia? - April 22nd 2011, 08:31 PM

PTSD can be very hard to deal with and the pure stress of that alone can create these symptoms to happen. However, in schizophrenia hallucinations are very prominent, but it would have to be paired with disorganized speech,and a social dysfunction. So it isn't likely you have that. Bi-polar disorder is less likely because you would need to have bouts of mania and depression and hallucinations aren't very likely with bi-polar disorder.

All these symptoms can just be a product of PTSD but if you continue on with out professional help of a doctor or therapist they can manifest into other disorders like DID (Dissociative Identity Disorder) among other things.

Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.

Last edited by CherriesBlossom; April 23rd 2011 at 07:57 PM.
  Send a message via AIM to CherriesBlossom  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Possibly schizophrenia? - April 23rd 2011, 04:55 PM

As the others have said, the PTSD alone could explain the hallucinations you're having. In fact, there are a fair few mental illnesses that can involve hallucinations.

I wasn't sure if I had Schizophrenia myself at one point in time, because I had a couple other symptoms, as well as having the hallucinations. Hell, I've felt things crawling on me too, along with other things. But, it turned out to be a less common symptom of a different mental illness that I was diagnosed with, actually.

So, I highly suggest you talk to your doctor about your mental health, and see if they can recommend you to a therapist/psychiatrist/whoever.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#5 (permalink)) Old
neontwirls Offline
Hiding in your shower
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lain

Re: Possibly schizophrenia? - April 25th 2011, 07:20 AM

Thank you, all of you.
Actually, I already knew I had PTSD but I wasn't too sure if I had any other mental issues. I know of about 7 caused by depression and genetic ones that run in my family but to be honest the PTSD and everything else was actually caused by rape and being molested when I was younger, that kind of thing. Thank you for all of your help, this took a bit of the stress off of my shoulders.

Closed Thread