TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Inpatient and work. - May 8th 2011, 10:27 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I spoke to my doctor on friday about my self harm and I have an appointment with the mental health team again on tuesday. He told me that they might want me to go into hospital for a bit, because I was becoming a risk to myself.

My problem is, I have a job and I work nearly a full time week. I've just applied for the supervisor position in my store which I've hopefully got. I don't want to be admitted because I don't want my boss to know that I'm suffering from depression. I think it'd lose me the job.

I don't know what to do.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Amember Offline
Average Joe

Name: Matt

Re: Inpatient and work. - May 8th 2011, 10:34 AM

I'd personally go see my doctor and tell him that you don't want to jeopardize your promotion or your job. I'm sure he will understand, if he doesn't then it's a bit silly. I'd personally see it as a sign of you have something in your life, and something good may come out of it, to take that away from you will upset you. I hope he listens to you and cancels/delays the meeting and prevents the hospital thing. Good luck on your promotion.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: Inpatient and work. - May 8th 2011, 10:34 AM

Hey Jo,

I think it is really good that you have spoken to your doctor about how you are feeling because at the end of the day they are only there to help you. Your doctor is obviously very concerned about you to be thinking that you may need to go into hospital. But it might do you good to go into hospital just for a short while and have a break. Then hopefully when you come back out you will feel a bit better and be able to cope with things a bit better.

You are much more important than your job. You need to put yourself first Jo and get yourself better because you are worth so much more than a job. It might be good for you to take some time out of work so you haven't got that extra stress. But I can understand that you don't want to lose your job but your boss cannot sack you for having depression. That would be discrimination so they are not allowed to do that. I don't think you even have to inform them what is wrong with you if you were admitted to hospital. You could just tell them you are ill and if you wanted you could say you were in hospital but you don't have to tell them why as far as I know.

I think you should have a think about it and if the mental health team think you should go into hospital then maybe you should. They obviously think it is what you need if they suggest that.

Stay strong.

Believe
You can do anything you want to
:-)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: Inpatient and work. - May 9th 2011, 09:49 AM

I can't bring myself to go in. I'm talking to Lynne about it tomorrow, but I have way to many questions.

What's it like? Would I be on a ward with other people? I don't want anyone to know what I've done.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: Inpatient and work. - May 9th 2011, 10:36 AM

I know the thought of going in is so scary and real but it probably won't be as bad as you think. I have been in hospital many times before so if you want to ask anything then you are more than welcome. You will be on a ward with other people and normally there is a mixture of people with different problems.

I think it is great you are talking to Lynne about it tomorrow. Hopefully she will be able to help you. You are doing so well. Stay strong.

Believe
You can do anything you want to
:-)

Closed Thread