TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bailatyvm Offline
bada bing bada boom.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Faith

Kind of drowning, at the moment? - June 6th 2011, 08:43 PM

Here's how I'm feeling right now, metaphorically.

I feel like I was out at sea and about to drown, but someone threw me a line, and I grabbed on. But I feel like I grabbed on and got pulled up JUST enough so that I could breathe, but every other part of me is still submerged.

I'm sick of hearing talk to me when you need to and stuff like that. I want someone to make the effort and talk to ME first. But that's needy and rude...but I'm sick of being stuck :/ ughughugh. I'm pretty stable at the moment but..I don't know. I feel like everyone thinks I'm stronger than I am and they're just going to let me go, and then I'll be drowning again. And it sucks :/

--
searching for myself...
and hugs. mostly hugs.
--

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Madeleine Claire

Re: Kind of drowning, at the moment? - June 7th 2011, 02:18 AM

Hey, I'm sorry that things aren't going too great. As long as you aren't drowning any more, then you're obviously doing a little better. I think that people tell you to talk to them because who knows if you need help at that exact moment?

Sometimes you have to ask for help, you have to ask for people to get you out of the water. People will always care about you, and if they let you go it's because you haven't shown them that you need help, which sometimes yes, can be difficult.

Don't worry about totally being alright, the fact that you're stable is really good, now you just have to figure out a way to make yourself a little happier, and better, every day.

<3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Kind of drowning, at the moment? - June 12th 2011, 02:44 AM

I understand; there are many times when I have felt the same - why doesn't anyone notice how much I'm struggling right this moment? When I am in a bad place, it is so easy to take everything personally.

When I found myself on the other side, witnessing other people struggling, it occurred to me that a lot of the time, people don't necessarily want to be approached about it. Asking someone if they're okay on a frequent, consistent basis may be taken the wrong way by some people - either the asker is pressuring them into revealing personal information, or is assuming that they're not able to take care of themselves. Of course this is not always so, but there is certainly the risk of someone reacting that way, which would do them more harm than good. On the reverse, one may think that making the first move to ask someone else if they're okay is 'needy and rude'!

We are all stronger than we think. Our struggles, whatever they may be, will always obscure our perceptions to some extent. For example, it might seem like we are losing the fight - but each mistake we make is an invaluable learning opportunity for the future. With the experience of past shortcomings, we can be better prepared to uncover the path of light for good.

Hang in there.

"If limitations exist, it is because we have erased the possibility of potential."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Hiraeth 
Closed Thread