TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Michael~ Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Michael

Strange Webs of Emotions (Please Read) - June 10th 2011, 01:25 AM

Hi, so I haven't posted much on here in many months. I, however, just feel that I need some advice from other people at this time. I just hope people will read this. I have been depressed for almost two whole years now and earlier this year was one of the worst if not the worst period of depression in my life. For the past two months or so I have been better in comparison, but still nowhere near perfect. I went to a counselor last year for about 6 months but I stopped because it wasn't working. I take St. John's Wort twice a day, but nothing has changed except that it helps keep my moods more stable.

The main point of this is that I wonder if I should ask about antidepressants. My St. John's Wort does not really work so I don't know if medicine works for me altogether. If my supplement doesn't work, won't the pills not work for me either? Plus, my mom doesn't like the idea of antidepressants because she is worried about the side effects for teenagers. I just need some advice from anybody. If you have your own personal antidepressant stories, please share them.

Thanks

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Michael~ Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Strange Webs of Emotions (Please Read) - June 15th 2011, 02:10 PM

Gee, thanks everybody.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Liz94 Offline
Here I go again
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Elizabeth

Re: Strange Webs of Emotions (Please Read) - June 15th 2011, 03:01 PM

I don't have any personal experience on antidepressants. However I do think going to your doctor and saying these St John's worts aren't really working and I was wondering what other options I have. Also explain how the counselling didn't help either. Then your doctor can help explain the different options and tell you what they think would be suitable. They may also be able to refer you to a different counselling service as there is no harm in trying another different kind.

As for your mums worries I would take her along to your doctors appointment then your doctor can reassure you mum and explain any side effects to any pills that you may be prescribed to and your mums worries can be put at rest.

I hope that has helped
good luck

"Casting all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

"For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." 2 Timothy 1:7

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:2

PM/VM me anytime
LIZ
  Send a message via MSN to Liz94  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
CrimeStopper Offline
Emily
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Be content within

Re: Strange Webs of Emotions (Please Read) - June 15th 2011, 08:23 PM

Oh I think you totally should talk to your doctor about getting on a antidepressant. Supplements aren't the same as a real solid medication. The medication could totally make your moods better and stable. Isn't that what you want? Supplements I would say are more for people who may have mild depression but can manage it still.

I would not worry about the side effects of medication. Medication has come such a long way over time and has improved so much. There is side effects for everything that you do. Don't eat to many apples because you may become gassy. Don't eat to much greens or else your poop maybe green. There's side effects for everything that we do. I would not worry about those. Half the side effects that are said on anything is the worst case scenario. I personally feel that half of those side effects don't happen. But legally they need to be stated. Doctors are so good now that they aren't going to proscribe you something that may make you worse or give you a horrible side effect. They are cautious of those sort of things.

I was on many different medications as a teenager and I didn't have any of the side effects. I even took a medication at 15 that I was not legally suppose to take until I was 18 and I was fine. Actually to this day that's still the medication I would choose to take if I ever went back on medication.

This medication would change your world. DO IT! I think it's worth a shot. If you do get bad side effects the doctors will stop the medication anyways usually. Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: donna

Re: Strange Webs of Emotions (Please Read) - June 16th 2011, 12:46 PM

My mum wont let me go on medication either. Im planning on waiting until Im 18 and can legally make my own decisions. If you can talk to your doctor and convince her that you need something that works. Pills and supplements are not necessarily linked, and there are different sorts of antidepressants. good luck

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Breea1212 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Strange Webs of Emotions (Please Read) - June 17th 2011, 09:27 PM

Idk about your medicinces but my opinion of deoression is that its bad and leads to self injury I have self injured a lot! What you need is someone you can open up to and tell everything to you'll feel so much better!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: Strange Webs of Emotions (Please Read) - June 17th 2011, 09:42 PM

Hey!

Sounds like you're into the herbal medicine stuff? Hold on a second, and I'll find a good website... And... Voila!

Well, my standing on the whole antidepressant thing is a little biased. I don't think that antidepressant should ever be given to anyone. Why? Because antidepressants can actually cause suicidal thoughts and behaviors. Many killers have also been on antidepressants at the time they began killing... And many of them got lessened penalties for it, because the people convicting them knew that the prescriptions they were on could cause them to want to do this, or feel that it is acceptable to do it.

I also think that antidepressants are often unnecessary, because depression can -- with professional counselling -- be overcome, and sometimes even without that. I was depressed to the point of near-suicide two years ago. Now, I'm happier than I've ever been. And I know what true happiness feels like, and I'm more mature than most my age, because I've been through those things.

Now, I know what a lot of people are going to say to me, because I've been told the same things many times before. So don't get too angry at me for agreeing with the OP's mom on this one.

And like the above poster said, someone to vent to and talk to about these things can help immensely. Don't take antidepressants until you're ABSOLUTELY SURE you need them, and don't give into people telling you that you NEED to take them, because it's most certainly not true.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Michael~ Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Strange Webs of Emotions (Please Read) - June 18th 2011, 12:57 AM

Thanks for all of your replies.

For a few months last year I saw a therapist (maybe 10 times total). It didn't help me at all. It was relieving, but not worth the money for me. I don't feel like talking about my depression makes any difference.

I hear so many negative things about antidepressants from scientific sources so I'm still skeptical. I'm not particularly scared of the suicidal side effects because I just know I would never commit suicide no matter how bad I feel. I know that sounds naive.

Things have actually changed in the few days since I wrote this post. My mom started having severe body pains and can't do much right now. Therefore, I don't think I am going to bring up my depression problems anytime soon.

Closed Thread