TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CaptainCastle Offline
Should I call you Captain?
Average Joe

Name: Ry

Scared about going to the doctors - August 5th 2011, 09:44 PM

I'm fairly certain I've been depressed for years and now I think I've got seasonal affective disorder. I've finally decided that I can't carry on like this and I want to go to the doctors to ask for anti-depressants. But I'm really scared to, and I'm not sure that I would actually have the guts to tell them anyway. I'm not even sure I will be able to get myself to call to make the appointment.

PM/VM me anytime

Joined TH 24/06/05
  Send a message via MSN to CaptainCastle  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Scared about going to the doctors - August 5th 2011, 10:03 PM

Hey there,

I understand your concern with this, but tihnk of it this way: the sooner it's over with, the sooner you can get on the mend. Everytime you have doubts about doing this, just remind yourself that it's going to help you a hell of a lot, and that's why you're doing this in the first place. Obviously it's easier said than done, but you CAN do it. Calm yourself before hand, and then just...do it. Don't hold back, just tell yourself you can do it, and then do it. Maybe ask for some help and support from friends and family, as their encouragment may help you feel more confident about it too.

Good luck!
Hollie.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Scared about going to the doctors - August 5th 2011, 10:05 PM

Hey Ry!

It's good that you've realized something is wrong, and going to the doctor is an important step on the way to getting better.

Honestly, it seems quite scary at first. I mean, I talked to my doctor about my mental health. Calling in to schedule the appointment, they didn't ask too much. You could even tell the receptionist you just want a check-up or something, if you don't feel comfortable telling them. My excuse was something along the lines of "Personal Issues", I think.

Talking to my family doctor (basically my GP) was awkward, seeing as she's known me since I was a little kid. But, I pushed through my fears, and I told her. You know what? She was much nicer about it than I anticipated. She asked me some questions about what exactly I felt was the problem, I explained, and she referred me to a mental health place in town. It was a lot less scary than I thought it'd be talking to her.

So honestly, I'd say take the plunge. It's a bit scary and awkward at first, but once you realize they're there to help you, it gets a bit easier.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#4 (permalink)) Old
CaptainCastle Offline
Average Joe

Re: Scared about going to the doctors - August 5th 2011, 10:44 PM

Thanks for replying. i know I wouldn't have to explain why when I phone up, it's just another stage to chicken out. I'm worried I would book it and not go as well, or go and not be able to talk about it. That's why I don't want to see my family doctor, it will make it harder because I feel like she knows me too well. Plus every time I go to see her I feel like I have to justify what I'm telling her, and that's not going to be very helpful in this situation. I can't tell my family about it, as they know nothing about it, and neither do any of my real life friends.

PM/VM me anytime

Joined TH 24/06/05
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Re: Scared about going to the doctors - August 5th 2011, 10:53 PM

I know how you feel, with none of your family or friends really knowing. My family still doesn't know anything about my mental health, nor do most of my friends, except a couple it's been mentioned to when having "deep" talks.

When I went to my doctor, I got a ride in from a counselor I was seeing before. You know, you could write a letter with all your thoughts, and bring it in. Do you go in for check-ups? Physicals? Birth control? Prescriptions of any kind? If you have to go, go for your normal appointment, and maybe casually slip the note to her.

Another thing you should do, is find somebody you can confide in. For me, that's my boyfriend. He drives me to appointments (I don't drive), he's sat in with me with my GP, the psychiatrist I saw, the therapist I saw after that... He's been very supportive through it all. Honestly, I wouldn't have made it as far along as I have if not for him. Do you have any friends you can trust?

It's a difficult process, and the mental health system is messed, but it'll be worth it in the end.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
CaptainCastle Offline
Average Joe

Re: Scared about going to the doctors - August 5th 2011, 11:03 PM

I don't really go for check-ups. I just went yesterday to change the pill I'm on, I won't be going again for a while. i really don't want to tell my family doctor about it anyway, I don't want to feel like I have to justify how i feel. I'll just go to another doctor in the surgery. The only person I'd want to xcome with me is my boyfriend, but that isn't really possible as he lives over 3 hours away.

PM/VM me anytime

Joined TH 24/06/05
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Re: Scared about going to the doctors - August 5th 2011, 11:08 PM

Explain what you mean by "justify how you feel"? Because if you mean talking about how you feel, and kind of analyzing it, you'll have to do that with any doctor for a diagnosis.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Madeleine Claire

Re: Scared about going to the doctors - August 5th 2011, 11:19 PM

I know it can seem difficult to call and make the appointment but it's amazing that you've figured out the way you feel enough to want to call and get on medication for it. Honestly, it's not that difficult to to talk to the doctor about it. Mine asked a few questions about how I'd been feeling and then prescribe a form of Prozac for anxiety.

You can do it, trust me.
<3

(#9 (permalink)) Old
CaptainCastle Offline
Average Joe

Re: Scared about going to the doctors - August 5th 2011, 11:59 PM

I mean anytime I go and see her she asks me why I think that or why I want to do that as if she doesn't believe me. I feel like I have to be ready to convince her anytime I go to see her, and I have to plan a solid explanation to tell her before I go. I don't want that kind of pressure when I'm scared about going anyway.

PM/VM me anytime

Joined TH 24/06/05
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Re: Scared about going to the doctors - August 6th 2011, 12:08 AM

Are there any mental health programs near you, where you can speak to a counselor, therapist, or somebody? I'm not sure how your mental health system works, or what buildings you have, but it might be worth a look then.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
CaptainCastle Offline
Average Joe

Re: Scared about going to the doctors - August 6th 2011, 12:14 AM

I don't think it's that easy to see a counsellor without being referred by a doctor. I don't know of any nearby anyway. I'm not sure I want to get counselling anyway, I'm not all that up for talking about all my problems, and I never actually feel like talking helps.

PM/VM me anytime

Joined TH 24/06/05
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Re: Scared about going to the doctors - August 6th 2011, 12:22 AM

Unfortunately, if you're looking for treatment for Depression, there are two big components to treating (pretty much) any mental illness. Therapy, and Medication. They're usually used in combination, since medication can only do so much. Plus, it takes meetings, talking, etc. with doctors to get a diagnosis, and treatment. You have to talk to them, answer questions, and other things so they can get information, and figure out a diagnosis, and treatment, from there.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
CaptainCastle Offline
Average Joe

Re: Scared about going to the doctors - August 6th 2011, 10:36 AM

If I don't want to go for counselling they won't make me, can't be wasting NHS resources now. xD I can mainly cope with how I'm feeling, it's just in the summer it gets so much worse and I can't handle it. I just feel like I need medication to help me cope with that.

PM/VM me anytime

Joined TH 24/06/05
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Scared about going to the doctors - August 6th 2011, 04:20 PM

Hey there.

I think going to your doctor is a really good idea. Explain how you're feeling and explain the patterns you have noticed like only feeling like it at a certain time. I can't explain how much my doctor helped me and if you got the same support it might be really beneficial for you and either way there's nothing to lose.

I think he might suggest therapy for you which may be something you want to think a bit more about, if not try a few times and see how it goes. If you don't like it then you don't have to carry on. Medication might also be an option though

Definitely give it a go. I hope you feel better soon.
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread