TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

University Counseling - August 6th 2011, 04:09 AM

So I found out today that I am eligible for this special program at the University I am attending this fall. It's for either low-income, first-generation college students, or kids with learning disabilities. Seeing that I'm the first one in my WHOLE family going to college, I think that's the reason why. It pretty much offers free tutoring, workshops on time management and stress relief/procrastination, and they even take us on free trips (I'm in New York City, so think of all the awesome trips), and even a free trip to somewhere out of state once a year. Which is a huge plus for me.

BUT.

On top of academic counseling and stuff.. Every other week, I have to go to personal counseling for the school year, and it may be more often if they think I need it. Like.. one on one with someone asking me questions. It makes me a bit nervous, because kids who have done it in the past say that the first few times are a bit intense, in a sense. They try to get to the root of where any future problems could arise, and I really don't want them to realize that I have a few issues. The website even says that anything past generic concern is forwarded to the actual Health Services counseling center. I mean, it could be good for me, but I'm worried.

I'm the type of person who likes to fix everything myself. I feel like I can get over things without medical intervention, for the most part.. and what if they see my anxiety, stress, or depression at some point? I really don't want people prodding at me and asking questions. It just makes things worse. Or what if someone sees my scars? I was trying to start anew, back at the beginning. New friends, nobody that knows past behaviour, a new city.. but now.. it's like I really can't get away from it. I've been slipping up quite a lot lately, and all I need is the added stress from this counseling situation.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

(#2 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: University Counseling - August 6th 2011, 06:31 AM

I think it would be good for you. You would probably do better in school with the help and the trips would be fun. It would be a good chance to get help for the depression and anxiety. I definitely recommend doing it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Unknown10 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: University Counseling - August 6th 2011, 01:12 PM

Hey there.

The counselling may be good for you. I'd suggest accepting the help the university are offering. They're looking out for you and want to help. If you're worried about it, then talk to them about it. I'd recommend letting them help you with the depression and anxiety.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: University Counseling - August 6th 2011, 01:28 PM

The counseling would be confidential (I presume), and it is not like you would have to tell them anything you would not want to.

I tried to run away from everything I was dealing with when I went to college, but you can't run away from yourself.

You could just talk to them about how you would rather work things out for yourself if that is how you feel or basically just tell them what you said here.

But my advice is that you should use the therapy while it is available and to talk about the things that bother you.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
chook14 Offline
♪ itchin' on a photograph ♫
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ella

Re: University Counseling - August 6th 2011, 01:32 PM

I totally get how you feel about wanting a fresh start. If you dont want to talk about your past issues you dont have too. Even if you do see the councellor, it's up to you what you talk about. But it could really help you to talk it through with someone. discussing what you went though doesn't mean you havent moved on...in fact it's a good way of dealing with things so that you can move on. I like to try and fix everything myself too, and just deal with my issues in my own way...lately though I've been feeling like it would be kind of nice to just tell someone everything. Not to get their help or advice or sympathy, just purely so I can say it all out loud to someone and get it off my chest. You wouldn't have to tell all your new friends or anything...no one would know except the councellor! I wouldn't worry too much...if you don't want them to know about your past then that's your call. Maybe see how comfortable you feel when you get there. They're not just going to see that you've been depressed or anything though, you'll have to open up to them for that. If you tell them everythings a-ok they'll believe you! Good luck at uni, I bet you'll have an awesome time in NYC!

"He who does not weep, does not see" - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables.

<3

Closed Thread