TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
alibear101 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Alyssa

Quitting the pills and scared - August 13th 2011, 04:57 AM

So I've been on prozac for about 2 years now and my doc is saying that by april of 2012 he wants me off of them for good. he wants me to stop because he doesn't think that i need them. I guess im just scared about the what if factor. I know deep down that it is me that's keeping me happy its just right now im afraid that i wont be good without them. i dunno if i've got a dependancy on them or something but it scares me to think that I have to come off of them and face it alone. can someone help me?

Everybody dies, but not everybody lives <3
  Send a message via MSN to alibear101  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Darrenboy! Offline
my long tongue is long.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Quitting the pills and scared - August 13th 2011, 05:18 AM

i'll help you

thinking of positive things can help as much as pills and sometimes even more. Try putting on happy music, as well as doing happy things and helping people in a happy way. Basically, its all happy. try doing that and watch as the world around you changes to become a happier world.

because the world changes according to how you view it

promise you, things will get better. remember we're always here, all right? we love you!

Those who have went through more pain than everyone else, and want to protect anyone and everyone they know and care for from that pain, are stronger than everyone.

we come, we help, we stick and never leave. pm me anytimeee!

Official member of the completely Unofficial free hugs Club !

I'm firing mah Hugs!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
daisyduck Offline
Average Joe

Name: Samantha

Re: Quitting the pills and scared - August 13th 2011, 05:58 AM

I'm in the same situation. I've been on it for a few years and my new therapist wants to see how i'll be doing if i go off of it.

Remember they won't just take you off of it, you'll be weaned off of it slowly over a course of lower dosages, so hopefully you won't have any withdrawal symptoms.

Also Remember that if you start feeling really bad after you go off of it, they can always put you back on it.

Just stay strong, and try to stay strong. Who knows, maybe you don't need it anymore.

You aren't alone. PM me if you want to talk

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.Jess. Offline
Previously xxjessxx
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Quitting the pills and scared - August 13th 2011, 01:20 PM

Hey

I can totally understand why you're scared of coming off your medication, it'll be a big step for you! Try and remember you're doctor wouldn't suggest taking you off them unless he thought you were ready for that. He has faith in you, so have faith in yourself April 2012 is a very long time away yet, so it sounds like it'll be a really steady gradual process - which is really good!

Does you're doctor know you're worries about coming off you're medication? It might be a good idea to share them with him so he's aware of your feelings and he can reasure you about the whole process

Have you got any other support in your life at the moment? Are you seeing a counsellor or therapist? While your making this transaction make sure you lean on the other people that are around to support you. It'll make it a lot easier for you! It'll help you understand that you can have a happy life without medication

I hope it goes well for you, keep us updated! Take care

(#5 (permalink)) Old
alibear101 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Quitting the pills and scared - August 13th 2011, 09:18 PM

thank you guys so much. I have told him that i feel very worried about going off the drugs but he has assured me that i'll be fine. i have been trying to be more happy but its hard for me as u guys probably know. :/ things just don't go easily for me so hopefully things will work out. it would be nice to be off all my drugs but i guess this is a start

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.Jess. Offline
Previously xxjessxx
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Quitting the pills and scared - August 13th 2011, 09:52 PM

When you've been depressed it definately is hard to get yourself feeling more happy, so its a massive credit to you that you're trying to do that, well done It sounds like you have you're doctors support behind you, that's lovely! Keep opening up to him so he can help you the best he can throughout the process. If you start hiding things it'll make it harder for both you and him It'll be lovely for you to be able to be off the medication, really, really good! It's a great aim to have, and you'll reach it, and be happy and okay! I believe in you

(#7 (permalink)) Old
alibear101 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Quitting the pills and scared - August 14th 2011, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Jess. View Post
When you've been depressed it definately is hard to get yourself feeling more happy, so its a massive credit to you that you're trying to do that, well done It sounds like you have you're doctors support behind you, that's lovely! Keep opening up to him so he can help you the best he can throughout the process. If you start hiding things it'll make it harder for both you and him It'll be lovely for you to be able to be off the medication, really, really good! It's a great aim to have, and you'll reach it, and be happy and okay! I believe in you

thank you for everything <3 you are really really really helping me. i love you! thank you for believing in me, you are the first and hopefully not the last. message me if you ever want to talk?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
.Jess. Offline
Previously xxjessxx
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Quitting the pills and scared - August 14th 2011, 11:18 PM

Same goes to you too, I'm always here, espically through all these changes!!! Good luck and let me know how you're getting on, yeah? Take care <3

Closed Thread