TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lemonade Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

What can I do? - August 14th 2011, 10:37 PM

My really good friend has told me that she has clinical depression and that she is bipolar. But that her parents dont do anything about it. And she is too afraid to ask anyone for help because she fears that her parents dont care about her at all and wouldnt help her. She will only talk to me about it and she doesnt trust anyone else enough. And I cant help, I like across the country and seeing her like this is killing me knowing that I cant do much about it. Or can I? I dont know what I could possibly do! I've tried to convince her that her parents actually do care and that depression isnt her fault. She can be treated, but she wont listen. I dont know what I could possibly do, I care too much to see her do this to herself.

What can I do? Am I making the situation worse by doing all this? Do you think she is lying to me about something? What is going on here?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
mcspaz Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What can I do? - August 14th 2011, 11:03 PM

Why don't you ask her what you can do for her?
If she says "nothing", than tell her your feelings. Say, "I'm concerned for you as a best friend. I want to help, but I don't know how. I think it would be better if you got help from an adult, because then you would at least know how to make yourself better. I don't want you to have to go through this alone, and I don't think that just telling me is going to make everything better. I am worried for you, as one of my best friends, and I want things to get better!"

Anything you can to make her realise that she cannot depend solely on your support- she needs a much larger group of people to rely on.

I go to hear my inner voice and all I hear is high pitched screaming echoing within the hollow.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: What can I do? - August 14th 2011, 11:05 PM

Hey there.

Firstly what a great friend you are to care so much! Well done for being there for them.

At the end of the day, as hard as it is for you, she's in control of what she does and what help she reaches out for. All you can do is be there for her. Give her a hug and let her know you're always there if she needs anyone. You could even offer to see the doctor etc with her for support and encourage her to do so, but is she says no, you can't make her. If you ever feel she is at a risk to herself then I would tell someone if I were you, such as a doctor, a trusted adult, school nurse, teachers etc. Anyone who can help. They're there to support her and if shes at risk to her self she definitely needs someone knowing.

Remember to look after yourself too. Don't let this get on top of you and drag you down as well.

Stay strong.
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread