TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Katie Lydia Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Katie

how long did it take before you were diagnosed? - August 15th 2011, 04:56 PM

I was talking with my friend and i was giving her a lesson on depression, haha. Basically telling her what it feels like for me, why i cut etc. and i said i've had it for 5 years but medically only had it for 1.

What i mean is i know that i've had depression for 5 years but i was only diagnosed with it last year. It was put down to hormones as i was growing up and being a drama queen. Even when i was self harming the doctor didn't take me seriously, i started off harming by scratching myself really badly with a fondue fork and she turned to me and said "A fondue fork? Hmm that's a new one for the books!".

Luckily i found a great psychiatrist and she put me on meds and when i first met her i told her everything that was going on she immediatly said "You have depression, no doubt about it.". She got so angry that other doctors treated me horribly as i could have lost my life to suicide.

So did anyone else have trouble being diagnosed with depression, were you told you were hormonal or were you diagnosed right away?

Razors pain you
Rivers are damp
Acid stains you
Drugs cause cramp
Guns aren't lawful
Nooses give
Gas smells awful
You might as well live.

♥ Family ♥ Animals ♥ Cats

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: how long did it take before you were diagnosed? - August 15th 2011, 06:58 PM

My story is a little different but I'll tell it anyways. It took my family 6 years to take me seriously. My father finally took me to a counselor and after extensive tests, they said I had serious clinical depression and needed to be treated immediately... Everyone felt bad for ignoring my cries for help and I finally got the help I needed. I'm still in therapy and I've been in it for 2 years.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: how long did it take before you were diagnosed? - August 16th 2011, 05:38 PM

Hi

Well when I was in year 10.. I think I was 14/15 at the time... I was referred to the child & adolescent mental health services. I thought they were not taking me seriously and all that even though I was recieving treatment however they just never told me that I had been diagnosed with depression. I only found out this year when I saw it in my notes at the doctors. Anyway, I had recovered but I'm having a relapse and so I've been diagnosed with it again.. this time along with an anxiety disorder. Apparently I have emotional dysregulation.

PM // VM

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: kimberly beth

Re: how long did it take before you were diagnosed? - August 16th 2011, 06:02 PM

i was diagnosed last years too , for 6 years no one noticed , it was horrible .
i started self harming and i tried to kill myself because i thought i was alone .

Iam A Child Of The King Of Kings <3
I Am Proud To Say It !! Im Am No Longer Lost !

I Have Been Found .
  Send a message via MSN to Dont3verLooseHope  
Closed Thread