TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Why won't anyone understand me? T_T - December 20th 2011, 03:01 AM

I have been depressed for 2 years now and I have been through a lot in my life. However, I am not always depressed because I know that the true meaning of life is to make something special out of it and it is not meant for abuse. Therefore, I am not always feeling hurt and depressed. But since I have experienced lots of pain in my life, I would feel extremely hurt in some times, but no one else understands me because 1)they cannot easily put themselves in my shoes and 2)when they see me happy, they ignore my sadness and pain overall.
How do I convince them?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Why won't anyone understand me? T_T - December 20th 2011, 04:32 PM

Well, it depends. I don't think just anyone should be aware of how sad you are. I only let the people most important to me know. BUT! I do tell anyone I meet how I'm actually feeling at the moment.

So, for the ones you want to tell, just sit them down and explain, "I'm happy most of the time, but I've been through a lot and those feelings kind of creep back up often. I need someone to know how I really feel, which is overall happy, but I still get depressed and sad often." Or something along those lines with your own words and feelings.

Be straight. It's okay to let people in.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Raining Glitter Offline
Average Joe

Re: Why won't anyone understand me? T_T - December 21st 2011, 12:01 AM

I'm sorry you are hurting. You don't deserve the treatment you received and I know it can be traumatizing. It is okay to feel hurt and depressed sometimes, since you've been through a lot. There are many healthy ways to get over this pain too. Just forcing yourself to be happy won't always help (I know because I do that to). Right now it sounds like you have a really positive attitude to life, it's just those few events from the past still are holding you back. It is completely normal to act this way, since what you've experienced is traumatizing. A lot of people share the feelings you have right now.

Have you seen a psychologist yet? Seeing one for trauma might help make your emotions progress. I have a friend who was abused when she was little. Her mom is currently in jail for what she did to my friend. My friend still has some emotional problems sometimes, but she is able to still live a regular healthy life. She's been through a lot, yet she is the most down-to-earth, open, and positive person I know. She got help to get over the trauma she experienced when she was a kid. A psychologist might be able to help you get over the emotions you feel when you get upset.

Why people don't understand? I'll try to take a whack at this.

People are humans. Everyone makes mistakes, no one is perfect. We all are basically trying to swim along in a massive ocean with gruesome currents. Some people aren't as good of swimmers as others. The stronger swimmers, although might be good at swimming, still are tired and barely making through the waves. Yet it all seems like they are fine.

Basically everyone is hurting. Every single person has some type of skeleton in their closet. Sometimes those skeletons makes people blind. A lot of people can't see how others' act for certain reasons. They can't see that one swimming barely struggling through the waves because they are too focused on the wave that's about to tackle them. Don't take it as no one cares about you-take it as them just not being able to see. They can't mind read, they can't piece the pieces together.

So don't hate yourself about no one understanding. I know how it feels, because everyone always thought I was just "stupid" or "lazy" or "emotional" during the times I was suicidal. I was also undiagnosed with ADD. So all the times I didn't do as well in school and worked my ass off to be at the regular value, truly it wasn't me "not being lazy" but me struggling along and not giving up. It's the same with you. Just keep on fighting against anyone who doesn't believe. Keep on struggling around. You'll find that you will get happier (: You WILL get through this because I know you will.

You are an amazing person. Just remember you've been through a lot. I hope you work through what you need to, you definitely deserve to be happy.

Be happy to pm me anytime you need someone to talk to I'd love to listen to you! You are not alone in this world and there are people out there that can understand.

Sometimes all you need to do is sprinkle a little glitter on someone's raincloud to blend them a rainbow.
Having a bad day?
Need some glitter?: Look, Listen, & Love
(note: I do not own the first two)
PM me ANYTIME if you want to talk!
I'll listen. You are not alone.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread