TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TheArgo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I am 22 years old, and I feel my life is already over - January 2nd 2012, 06:23 PM

My Dad had a stroke earlier this evening, and I have pretty much broken down. I can't stop crying and I have no one to talk too about it.

I have suffered in silence with depression since I was 15 - so roughly 7 years. I haven't left the house much in that time...maybe 3 times a year on average.

All the friends I knew from High School have moved on and we don't talk anymore. People I meet on the internet never really become my friends.

My parents don't know about my depression I don't think, at least we have never spoken about it...or spoken about anything really, and now is not the time to bring it up.

I really don't know what to do with my life...if my Dad dies...I just don't know. I want to get better and get on with my life. Having this situation come up made me realise just how alone I really am.

What should I do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: I am 22 years old, and I feel my life is already over - January 2nd 2012, 06:37 PM

I hope your father is okay. Is he? Worry about him for the moment.

As for the long term depression, it makes perfect sense if you're not getting out much and you feel terrible. You need to go out and do things, meet people, etc.. Your life isn't over; it is just beginning. At the very least, you should take a walk outside every day (weather permitting) just to get some sunlight and fresh air. If you're in a city, there should be a large number of things going on around you that you can do. Find things that interest you (or if you aren't sure, give them a try) and go meet people.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
ThornedRose Offline
You're scrumdiddlyumptious!
Average Joe

Name: Sydney

Re: I am 22 years old, and I feel my life is already over - January 2nd 2012, 06:54 PM

22 and you think your life is already over? It's just begun. I hope your father is ok, but I'm certainly familiar with the feeling you're experiencing right now. Everyone seems to go their seperate ways after High School, maybe you should try to meet new people. Like another poster said, get out and do things; meet new people, take up a new hobby, just go for a walk it will do miracles for your depression. Im sure you've heard this before, but maybe talk to someone about your depression, you said you couldn't talk to your parents about it so maybe another relative or someone you trust. I take an herbal supplement for my depression, I don't like any kind of drugs at all, and it enhances my mood a good bit. I'm sorry to hear you've had it for so long, and just kept quiet about it. We are all here if you need us. if you need anything feel free to PM/VM me.

Enjoy the little things in life, for someday you will realize they were the big things.
  Send a message via Yahoo to ThornedRose  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
TheArgo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I am 22 years old, and I feel my life is already over - January 2nd 2012, 11:36 PM

Thank you for the kind words, my Dad is doing better than he was earlier in the day.

My main worry now (Apart from his health) is when do I bring my problems to my parents? They seemed oblivious for the last 7 years to me and my problems, and I don't want to put strain on my Dad as he is really sick.

This may be selfish of me, but I don't want to live my life as it is now. Something has to change and I think I will need their help to do it.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
ThornedRose Offline
You're scrumdiddlyumptious!
Average Joe

Name: Sydney

Re: I am 22 years old, and I feel my life is already over - January 3rd 2012, 12:21 AM

No that is not selfish. Everyone wants to be happy, and anyone who says otherwise is psychotic. I'm glad to hear your dad is doing better. I think the best time to tell them, and I think you do need to tell them, is a few days after this thing with your dad calms down. Your parents will listen, just tell them everything. Let them know what's going on. I'm sure if you sit down and tell them and I'm sure they will be supportive and understanding. Again, you wanting to be hppy is NOT. selfish. I will make sure to keep you and your family in my prayers. Keep us updated on how everything goes.

Enjoy the little things in life, for someday you will realize they were the big things.
  Send a message via Yahoo to ThornedRose  
Closed Thread