TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Borxin Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Liz

(Suicide & Self harm) How do you tell a counselor about suicidal thoughts? - January 19th 2012, 12:50 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

To be warned... this might be triggering as it involves suicide and self harm.

I set up kinda an "emergency appointment" with my counselor for tomorrow because yesterday I was suicidal. I ended up cutting A LOT to keep myself from doing something to try to kill myself but it was very scary... I've been suicidal a few times and have suicidal thoughts a bit, but normally they don't go into being suicidal. I haven't really discussed being suicidal or having these thoughts with my counselor, but I really feel like I need to. I wrote down everything and what happened and why since it's easier to write it than to say it, and I'll give that to my counselor tomorrow.

What is it like when you tell your counselor? My parents do not know about my self harm or suicidal thoughts and they do not know I am in counseling either. I'm 19. Would they have to tell someone? I have never attempted and I'm not suicidal at the moment... and I doubt I'll be suicidal tomorrow during counseling (I might be triggered to cut or have cut since I will be coming straight from work and I'm sensitive to criticism...)

Any advice or tips or anything would be helpful. What's it like? My counselor I really like. I just started seeing this one because I switched counselors since my other counselor took up more of a management position, but I really like this one, a lot more than my last one.

Thank you in advance.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: (Suicide & Self harm) How do you tell a counselor about suicidal thoughts? - January 19th 2012, 02:20 PM

This greatly depends on your counselor. I had one who immediately wanted me hospitalized for cutting (my mom agreed). So I quickly 'straightened up' and avoided that situation.

On the other hand...I've had two counselors since who just say "Did you have a plan? Are you suicidal now? If I let you out of this room, are you going to go do it?"

And since you said you don't think you will tomorrow, they will likely just keep an eye on you and want you to contact them in the middle of the week to let them know how you are doing.

Generally, if you are still suicidal, have a plan, and are going to put it into action....then they would take further actions.

Does that help some? Just let them know you are doing bad and you were suicidal. Don't be scared, They are there to help. Likely they might suggestions medication or a change of medication. They will also want to know WHY. What triggered you to feel suicidal. And will likely tell you to avoid it for awhile.

PM if you need anything!

Closed Thread