TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Katie

It hurts. - January 30th 2012, 11:51 PM

I used to be one to consider suicide. Then I stopped, wiped those ideas out of my head and everything.
The flashbacks are getting worse, I can't stop them, and the thoughts are back.
Does anyone have an idea of how to get rid of the flashbacks and the thoughts?
I just hate it. I'm over crying, and I want it all to stop.

I'm so scared.

i feel so weak.
probably because i am.

I know it gets hard sometimes
But I could never
Leave your side
No matter what I say

Cause if I wanted to go I would have gone by now,
But I really need you near me to
Keep my mind off the edge
If I wanted to leave I would have left by now,
But you're the only one that knows me
Better than I know myself
-Adam Lambert

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Julia

Re: It hurts. - January 30th 2012, 11:56 PM

I suffer with thoughts too but not flashbacks. It kinda sounds like it would take the same strategies though maybe. I admit sometimes, you can't make the thoughts go away. Sometimes you just have to wait it out. But sometimes you can make them go away. Usually I make them go away by talking to people, writing, watching TV, taking a bath, anything to distract you. Also telling yourself "Stop it, im doing it again, I need to stop." when you do get those thoughts. I would try to apply the same stuff to when you have flashbacks. If you ever need someone to talk to, you can talk to me=)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Char

Re: It hurts. - January 31st 2012, 12:08 AM

I consider suicide a lot actually and I also get a lot of flashbacks. I have no idea how to cope and it doesn't help with everything else. Sometimes doing something to distract you from even thinking about these thoughts are always a good thing to do. Try and do something you enjoy...but when I get flashbacks I just stand there, close my eyes and breathe...they pass, but they never go..

x

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: It hurts. - January 31st 2012, 12:10 AM

Hi there. I'm really sorry that things are hard for you right now. I'm really glad that you've come to us for some help and support. Dealing with flashbacks is a really hard thing to do. I don't know what the flashbacks are from but i just wanted you to know that if you want to talk about then you're more than welcome to do so. We're here to listen and we'll try our best to help you cope with what's causing you so much pain. Something people have told me they have found useful is to ground yourself. Sit yourself down, look at where you are, take notice of your surroundings and hold onto what you're sat on. This night help you overcome it and help you know that you are where you are now. Sometimes i try and sing or talk to myself. It sometimes helps me but different things help different people so it's all about trial and error. Have you tried counceling? If this is an on going issue then getting profferinal help might be something worth looking into. Things like CBT or DBT might help you. EMDR is a form of psychotherapy which is often used to help with flashbacks. You could talk to your doctor about the support available or look into therapy yourself. These people are here to help you so don't be afraid to let them in. Suicide is never the way out and it shouldn't be an option for you. What helped you before? I know things are hard for you right now but they can and they will get better so keep on fighting this. Don't be on your own either. You can do this. Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Katie

Re: It hurts. - January 31st 2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lygophobia View Post
Hi there. I'm really sorry that things are hard for you right now. I'm really glad that you've come to us for some help and support. Dealing with flashbacks is a really hard thing to do. I don't know what the flashbacks are from but i just wanted you to know that if you want to talk about then you're more than welcome to do so. We're here to listen and we'll try our best to help you cope with what's causing you so much pain. Something people have told me they have found useful is to ground yourself. Sit yourself down, look at where you are, take notice of your surroundings and hold onto what you're sat on. This night help you overcome it and help you know that you are where you are now. Sometimes i try and sing or talk to myself. It sometimes helps me but different things help different people so it's all about trial and error. Have you tried counceling? If this is an on going issue then getting profferinal help might be something worth looking into. Things like CBT or DBT might help you. EMDR is a form of psychotherapy which is often used to help with flashbacks. You could talk to your doctor about the support available or look into therapy yourself. These people are here to help you so don't be afraid to let them in. Suicide is never the way out and it shouldn't be an option for you. What helped you before? I know things are hard for you right now but they can and they will get better so keep on fighting this. Don't be on your own either. You can do this. Jessie.
The way things are, I don't know if I can cope for much longer. I'm currently going to councelling, but It's a group thing, with my parents, and they don't know about my self harm or thoughts, and I'm too scared to ask for a solo session.
I've been considering posting a thread telling my story. My story is too much for me to handle, but I just need to calm down. I want to tell my story, so others can understand, and I can help them, or vice versa.

I'm just so scared.

i feel so weak.
probably because i am.

I know it gets hard sometimes
But I could never
Leave your side
No matter what I say

Cause if I wanted to go I would have gone by now,
But I really need you near me to
Keep my mind off the edge
If I wanted to leave I would have left by now,
But you're the only one that knows me
Better than I know myself
-Adam Lambert

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Julia

Re: It hurts. - January 31st 2012, 12:25 AM

Its understandable that you'd be scared. I think it would benefit you if you were to have a solo counceling sessions from now on. I find that when someone is with me during therapy sessions, I hold some things back. Sometimes I don't even have a reason for why I hold things back, I just do cause i'm embarrassed or feel like if someone knew a certain thing, they'd look at me different. But when you go to a counceler, you don't need to worry about them looking at you differently cause they won't. Their job is to help you. To make things better for you. But the way you are gonna make more progress I think is with solo sessions. And don't worry, you don't always have to say things. In fact, you don't have to say ANYTHING that you don't want to. I think it would help you a lot.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: It hurts. - January 31st 2012, 12:43 AM

Hi again. It's completly understandable that you're scared and i think that's normal for anyone in your situation. It's home that you've got a councelor. Do you find the therapy you're having now helpful? I also agree that it might be good for you to have individual sessions. Sometimes having some 1-2-1 time with someone can really help. It'd be a good chance for you to let the councelor in and let them help you because at the end of the day that is what they are these for but they can only help you in a way which you will benefit from if you are honest with them and if you tell them what's going on for you. I know that might be hard but if you want help and want to start to feel better then you're going to have to take that step. You're never alone in this. Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread