TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ashleylovesyou Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: ashley

Depressed at 8 - February 26th 2012, 07:32 PM

My step-sister is 8 years old, and just like my own daughter. I am constantly taking care of her and she only talks to me about personal things. Being 17 and not blood related, I have no say in legally raising her. She told me she feels like she is a bad kid, and that she thinks she deserves to die and wants to die. I asked her if she was planning on hurting herself and she said no. She will not open up to anyone else and when I told my parents they said she was saying it for attention. I know her, she definitely wasn't!

How do I help this poor girl out?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Depressed at 8 - February 26th 2012, 08:13 PM

I would just like to say that good on you for taking her seriously. I remember being depressed around 7 or 8 and nobody taking me seriously.
If you have a doctor you could ask them about her, they might want to see her, maybe a counselor at school if you're still in school. Keep being there for her, because sometimes just having someone to talk to helps a lot. I would try to talk to your parents again about it, because just because she says she's not thinking of hurting herself doesn't mean she won't.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ashleylovesyou Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Depressed at 8 - February 26th 2012, 08:21 PM

I might go to her school and talk to her school counselor. If they allow me to. We don't go to the same doctors and I am not allowed to bring her to appointments or make her doctor appointments. I might take her to therapy. But if I can't talk to her school or bring her to therapy I don't know what else to do. CPS maybe? But I don't want her taken away from me. She should not be feeling this way at 8 and I should not be worrying about her. It's hard when I am the only one who is ever worried about her. I just want to legallybe responsible for her. she is not with me bow, she is at her mom's, she gets more depressed then also.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
xxprincessxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sammie

Re: Depressed at 8 - February 26th 2012, 08:27 PM

I know what you are going through, I basically raise my neice like she was my own kid as well. It's tough especially when you're doing everything for her but you can't make legal choices such as that, trust me, I know how hard that is.

All you can do though is be there for her through it all! Keep talking to your parents and so on. If it gets bad enough you may have to call CPS her welfare is the most important thing. You can try to talk to her school, I don't know if it will work but it's worth a shot. Also, maybe you could talk to an adult you trust as well and get their advice on the matter!

Best of luck through all of this! She's very lucky to have you in her life!!

all i want is a place to call my own and
mend the hearts of everyone who feels alone,
woah,
you know to keep your hopes up high and your head down low.

<3

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ashleylovesyou Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Depressed at 8 - February 27th 2012, 01:26 AM

I am depressed, but try not to show it around my younger siblings and I always put her first. But, do you think my depression could have "rubbed off" on her?

Closed Thread