TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sparrow Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Had to come to terms with the harsh realities of my job - March 2nd 2012, 11:49 AM

I am doing a course in animal care to become a zoo keeper.I take a certificate course where they have lots of animals like dogs, cats, and horses. We were doing OHS (Occupational Health and Safety) we were running through what you do if there is a fire there. The dogs are taken with you because they are on a lead and therefore can be contained and restrained when you get to the evacuation point. But if we are with the other animals and there is a fire we put them back in their cages/stable and lock them in then leave.I'm having trouble dealing with this and really don't think I can deal with this because it will be the same at every animal related industry i go into but I want to work with animals I don't know what to do please I really need to talk about this.

Calm, relaxed, confident, and happy

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Silvia Offline
Average Joe

Name: Silvia

Re: Had to come to terms with the harsh realities of my job - March 2nd 2012, 02:29 PM

God, that's really terrible, I completely understand you...

You have 2 options. If you really like that kind of job, you can try to change things fron the inside once you're in that world, try to make people understand the need for adjustments in the fire protocol. Or you can just ignore it and just work as something else, in which case things will be just the same but with you ignoring it...

And bare in mind that a great fire accident is pretty unlikely, isn't it?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BulletHoles Offline
BulletHoles
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alicia

Re: Had to come to terms with the harsh realities of my job - March 2nd 2012, 05:17 PM

I mean the place has probably no other choice because they can't just let the animals out, but still. That's really horrible. If this really begins to bother you, i wouldn't stay.
  Send a message via Skype™ to BulletHoles 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Dylan

Re: Had to come to terms with the harsh realities of my job - March 3rd 2012, 07:27 AM

That really isn't the best situation, but I'm sure authorities will be alerted about the animals. Have faith in your local Fire Department, those guys are heroes.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: Had to come to terms with the harsh realities of my job - March 3rd 2012, 07:48 AM

For drills I can see why they dont want to do it. To be honest if it was a real fire and it was me I would let the animals out serious if there is a real fire let them out you will be a hero I bet if you did.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Had to come to terms with the harsh realities of my job - March 4th 2012, 05:50 AM

Lauri: Unlikely. If you're dealing with a zoo type environment and relase something like, let's say a chimapanze you will be punished under the law. It's public endangerment to leave wild animals loose. Furthermore you've created a mess for the law enforcement who will have to track and kill the animal. Finally, as I already mentioned the police would be required to kill the animal, despite the fact it may have very well survived in it's exhibit.

You have to realize that random fires aren't common occurances, you have more chance of being killed by a shark, which is less than being struck my lighting. So pretty slim.

The rule wouldn't be there if it weren't needed, as I mentioned if the animal were to get loose the police would have to kill it, by restraining it you're helping secure it's survival. You couldn't possibly save them all, and in an effort to have a replaceable zoo animal you'd be risking the irreplacable life that belongs to you, the lives of your co-workers and members of the genral public. By following this drill you'd be a true hero. This is going to be hard, but it's something you have to come to terms with. It might seem like you're condemming the animal, but you'd more likely be saving it.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#7 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: Had to come to terms with the harsh realities of my job - March 4th 2012, 06:02 AM

didnt relize there zoo animals yeah your right.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
Closed Thread