TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tazzy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tarah

Unhappy How can I get past this point? - March 5th 2012, 10:45 AM

So people I suppose I just need advice. And answers from people with personal experiences.

Has anyone had severe depression and gotten through it, with out professional help?

I just want to know what it's like to be happy... I'm sick of the pain and crying. The negatives thoughts that are always there...

But I don't want to see a therapist or whatever you call them. I've seen two different ones in the past 4 years (not for long periods of times) and I hated them. I felt like they were judging me, and why should I tell my most inner thoughts who I've never told anyone else, to someone who is getting paid and who doesn't truly care...?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: How can I get past this point? - March 5th 2012, 04:24 PM

Hey, Tarah.

I can't offer you personal experience; I've never been diagnosed with any kind of depression, however I'm more than happy to offer you all that I Can in terms of support and advice.

While it is probably possible to get through depression without professional help, I would recommend it anyway. I know you say you've tried therapists, but each one will work slightly differently from the last one. No therapist is there to judge you. They are professional, and while it may seem like they don't care, they wouldn't be doing the job if they didn't care about how people felt. I know this may not be what you asked for, but I really would recommend the professional route if this is so bad. Honestly it can be so much help.

As for the negative thoughts, there are ways you can see some positive in life. However, it's not easy to remind yourself of the good things every day. None of this will be easy. Getting through the depression will not be easy regardless of how you do it. It will take hard work, effort and an open mind. I have no doubt that you can get through it, but you need to work at it. I always say that anything worth having in life with have some sort of a fight in order to achieve it. Take for instance, getting through school. The work involved is a lot, but when you get through it you feel a sense of pride. This can be the same sort of thing. Basically, every day, despite how bad things are, try to spot as many good things as possible. These can be as tiny as the way your hair looks or the fact the sun is out. IT could just be the colour of something which makes you feel good. But try to think og as many as possible, and keep a list or something. By doing this you'll distract yourself from some of the less possitive things and focus more on the good things life has to offer. There are loads of amazing things out there which may be able to help your mood, it's just noticing them and not ignoring it.

Alternatively, you could keep a memory box or something similar. This is basically a box of things you associated with a good memory or someone special to you. The things could be anything, but I find it always helps when I'm upset if i have something to remind me of good times. For example, I keep a book of messages I got in my last week of high school in my box because it has some nice messages that keep me going sometimes and make me smile. It can really be as simple as that. All it is is something to remind you that people love you and that you can do this. If it makes you smile, it's worth remembering and not pushing away. You can beat the negative emotions with the positive ones.

If you ever need someone to talk about, my PM box is always open and you're more than welcome to talk to me. I hope this has helped a bit. Remember you can beat this, just keep trying, and maybe reconsider the professional route as I do think it would be beneficial to you. Best of luck though, remember to stay strong.

Chin up,
Hollie.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: How can I get past this point? - March 5th 2012, 05:54 PM

Hey Tara,

People can get over depression on their own, but it takes a lot of work and a lot of awareness...about what causing the depression, and being open to responding differently to it. If you've tried that, or can't do it, then regardless of those prior experiences, you might want to reconsider your decision and re enter therapy, find a therapist whose acceptable to you. Sometimes, that takes time, the 'fit' needs to be right, unlike dentistry, therapy is very personal.

I often hear similar things form my patients, at least initially, about the whole 'judgement' and 'trust' and 'being paid for it' stuff. Typically, that only lasts a few sessions, b/c the real issue isn't the therapist, you know...we're a pretty empathetic, caring lot...but rather the difficulty most people have talking about..and hearing themselves!...talk about really painful, disturbing things is difficult, who wants to go there?

Give it some more time, and maybe talk for a while about the difficulty talking...or talk about other issues or events in your life. Like any relationship, therapy needs to built slowly and over time. Take that time, and you'll probably find you feel better in the end.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Dylan

Re: How can I get past this point? - March 5th 2012, 07:29 PM

Hola Tarah

I just recently (About..2 days ago) had to give up the girl I love most in this world.

I had to straight up tell her we can't talk anymore. I won't go in to details, but you can find them on the forums.

I still cry randomly. I can't eat bologna anymore because of her. I can't watch The Office, my favorite show, because it reminds me of her.

It's been 2 days, and I'm still extremely depressed.....

BUT!

I feel myself improving everyday. When I feel like letting tears out, I come on here and go in the chat room. I start listening to music, or other things like that. It helps.

I know what you're going through. It sucks. But, if I can do it, I'm sure as hell you can make it. ^^;

Good luck

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BulletHoles Offline
BulletHoles
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alicia

Re: How can I get past this point? - March 5th 2012, 08:29 PM

Hi
I have severe depression and have had it for a quite many years. Honestly for depression, you need to get through it "alone". Like you can't have professionals and people carry you through it, but by doing it alone you make it alot harder on yourself. You go through more pain then you really need to put yourself through. I mean haven't you been through enough?
Let people help you, reach out. But just let people know that you need to be able to get through this on your own.
And therapists don't judge you, at all. Thats why they went into that sort of work. Because they care, because they're just regular people who want to listen and help you move forward.
PM me anytime darling.

Are you always sad? Someone asked.
(Always is such a long, long time)
I couldn't say. But
If sadness was a sea, I'd drown in it.
(Salty and warm, sadness is.)
(Cold, too. Sometimes)
And I happen to love the sea.

And I watched your words burn tiny holes
into my retinas. Just wide enough to crawl into,
And forget you ever were.
  Send a message via Skype™ to BulletHoles 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Tazzy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tarah

Re: How can I get past this point? - March 5th 2012, 10:06 PM

Thank you guys. To Alicia- it's funny because I want people to be there but no one cares.
I might try and get professional help again, but I really can't handle all the 'trial and error' trying to find a good therapist.
Dr.Bobby, I meant no offense to you!
And Dylan, thank you for sharing that, I have read your threads. I think you made the right decision and you'll be happier than ever soon enough, just stay strong

(#7 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: How can I get past this point? - March 6th 2012, 02:31 AM

Tarah I had major deprssive disorder for 2 years before I got help so yes I have gone through it alone and I got better. I was not completly better but once I got help after those 2 years of suffering from depresison by myself my depression was no longer magor more like clinical.

In those 2 years it was my darkest times that i went through alone wen t through so many emotions and just stufff nightmares, panic attacks, sad , veyr very tired all the time, dressing in black, mood swings, lazy, not focused on hw hard to get hw school work finsshed. Allll that I look back and I can honestly say Im not that depressed any more my world now is not that black any more.

When I got help for the first time after 2 years already having depression I felt weird going to therapy because I was like my depression is not that bad any more I dont feel llike im in the dark place as much now. But therapy can help speed up the process tarah

YOU DONT HAVE TO SUFFER 2 YEARS OR LONGER WITH DEPRESISON LIKE I DID YOU CAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT YOUR DEPRESSION NOW SEE A THERAPIST THAT YOU TRUST YOU DONT HAVE TO SUFFER ANY LONER. WHY SUFFER NO NEED TO.

If you ever want to know any thing more about me you can always private message me or something or need help with something Im here for you {:
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
Closed Thread