TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Brandy McCarter Offline
ablm
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Brandy McCarter

i dont know what to do :/ - March 8th 2012, 06:13 PM

well, i didnt really know what forum to put this under but i decided to go with this. in the beginning of this month i decided that i was going to run away, i had it fully planned out. i was bringing stuff to school, i had a ride, i knew what i was going to do. i was going to go to another state and try to get put into a foster home there, at the last minute though, the person that was going to give me a ride dropped out and decided it wasnt worth it. i feel ridiculous because i trusted someone to help me with something like that and i feel so conflicted cause i keep telling myself that truthfully it isnt that bad cause i guess its gotten better. i dont know. it seems like thats my phrase these days, 'i dont know'. i just cant make up my mind or make a decision. and my mom just got married to some guy that likes to pretend he wants to be a father figure then take it back like, 'oh just playin' im sorry but i dont like when people mess with my emotions like that. and the circumstances of their marriage are ridiculous. she went to pick him up from jail cause he was serving time for a DUI and an hour later they decided to get 'hitched' the next day. my mom makes fun of people for shit like that all the time so that act is hypocritical i could barely even look at her. i just dont even understand m mother anymore. i know those arent exactly appropriate pretenses to leave my family but they just dont give two shits about me or anything i do. i mean i told my mom i had a panic attack, she said 'ohh, really? what happened? are you ok?" in a half-assed attempt to show that she 'cared'. so yeah, at this point i just dont care. maybe at 16 i can get emancipated. doubt that'll work for me either

twinkle um...is a good word

Last edited by Brandy McCarter; March 8th 2012 at 06:19 PM.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Brandy McCarter 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: i dont know what to do :/ - March 8th 2012, 08:28 PM

Running away is not going to solve anything. Yeah sure we all want to run away from are lives sometimes. Heck I do all the time but in the end you just go to stay put where you are unless your being abused or something.

How your mom acts has nothing to do with you and shes allowed to date and marry who she wants. If you dont like him then I would telll your mom that in private. Your 16 its a tough age its the teen years where are parents dont quit understand us and we dont quiet understand them. But you can do it and maybe your mom really was trying to care sounds carring to me dont think every thing is negative. It sure did sound like she was carring and maybe she didnt know what a panic attack was really. If she doesnt then inform her let her know what panic attacks are.

Maybe try to look into family therapy with just your mom. Hang out with your friends when you dont want to be home.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Brandy McCarter Offline
ablm
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Brandy McCarter

Re: i dont know what to do :/ - March 9th 2012, 08:15 PM

ive tried family therapy with my mom, its never worked. and she knows what a panic attack is-my aunt (her sister) had them all the time when she was growing up and about my age. i know running away is not the solution, and there isnt abuse anymore-my dads gone so that problem is solved-but it does seem like a good way to fix things, even though realistically i know otherwise.

twinkle um...is a good word
  Send a message via Skype™ to Brandy McCarter 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: i dont know what to do :/ - March 16th 2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy McCarter View Post
ive tried family therapy with my mom, its never worked. and she knows what a panic attack is-my aunt (her sister) had them all the time when she was growing up and about my age. i know running away is not the solution, and there isnt abuse anymore-my dads gone so that problem is solved-but it does seem like a good way to fix things, even though realistically i know otherwise.

Like you mentioned -- there was abuse in the family, which was probably not only hard on you but your Mom as well. Her reaction to your panic attack may have been something she had to face when she was younger too, so she's developed a bad habit of reacting like it's no big deal.

While your Mom is your Mom, she is also human and at times, will not always make the best decisions or say the right things. It may not hurt to try to talk with your Mom, develop a better relationship -- through that, you may even be able to help her see some of her own struggles in her life.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Hope121911 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Bethany

Re: i dont know what to do :/ - March 17th 2012, 07:16 AM

If I were you I would try to sit your Mom down and talk to her and just let her know how you feel. My father is an alcoholic and I did this with him a little while ago and it's made things a little better. Even if your Mom wouldn't take it to heart, you would be getting those emotions off your chest and know that you tried your hardest.

Closed Thread