TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
dani99 Offline
Ms.Average
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Danielle

Do you want help for your depression? - March 11th 2012, 07:26 PM

I'm going to use myself as an example as simple as I can. I haven't fully recovered from my depression, but I'm getting there. This is what you need to do. First of all, look at my part so it's easy to relate.

Many people tell you that you can be happy from doing things you like, but that is only temporary happiness and is not something you should solely rely on.

First of all, my stress started any where from infant stage until toddler stage. I only say that because I can only remember back till when I was 3, but it might have started even earlier than that. It started with physical and emotional abuse. My father was very abusive and mean, and he always got into fights with my mom.

Do you ever wonder why you still worry about the past? I used to, too. But I soon came to realize based on my observations and what I've studdied of phycology is that I haven't gotten over that abuse because it was traumatizing. A person's brain develops from the time they are born and starts to stop as they get older. My brain was developing under a great amount of stress, so it was trained to not be able to cope with certain things and to hold onto that stress since it knows nothing more.

Some of you may have the same issue, and it's normal for the circumstances. That was part of my depression was the development of my brain.

Then it comes to my own self confidence. When you're downed your whole life and told that you're worthless and ugly and fat, what more can you believe? From the time I can remember until the time I was about 15, I was told cruel and terrible things that I believe. It is a fact that the time it takes to do the damage takes the same amount of time to undo the damage.

And very last but not least, it comes down to my past that didn't leave so much trauma. Things such as my miscarraige, losing my friends, break ups, being betrayed, having my grandpa die, and my dad leaving me when he became sober and nice. My mind that was developed to hold onto stress and trauma also made it to where I couldn't handle my past.

Conciously, I've accepted it. Sub counciously, it nags at me. I get panic attacks still and I'm still depressed. I still have nightmares of my baby that I've lost and my dad trying to hurt or even kill me.

So, how do you fix something like this? Of course, you can't control something that is subconcious! The key is professional help. Years and years of it. The cure to depression is the reversed affect of what you've grown to know. So stop sitting in that pool of hurt and sorrow and get help. It may not work over night or ever after a year. But in time, you'll find yourself closer and closer to happiness. Keep a positive head on and know that there is a way out.

Just a girl with an angel above, just a girl with an angel to love. My angel grew wings and she did dare to fly. But I promise my angel, it's only good night but never good-bye. My angel, my angel in heaven above. My angel, my darling, you'll always have my love. Rest in peace, my sweet darling, it's only temporary that we part. My angel, my angel, how you still do steal my heart </3

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: Do you want help for your depression? - March 16th 2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani99 View Post
A person's brain develops from the time they are born and starts to stop as they get older. My brain was developing under a great amount of stress, so it was trained to not be able to cope with certain things and to hold onto that stress since it knows nothing more.
That is like an answer to something I've been wondering for the past few days! Thank you so much for making this post Dani! It was really killing me the thought of why I crave so much stress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani99 View Post
So, how do you fix something like this? Of course, you can't control something that is subconcious! The key is professional help. Years and years of it. The cure to depression is the reversed affect of what you've grown to know. So stop sitting in that pool of hurt and sorrow and get help. It may not work over night or ever after a year. But in time, you'll find yourself closer and closer to happiness. Keep a positive head on and know that there is a way out.
I totally agree with this! We keep telling people to move out and not go in a shell. To speak up, not keep things in. Its all basically a part of reversing everything. To change the whole lifestyle where they've been hiding their feelings all the time. It is difficult to make an effort to adopt this new lifestyle, it takes time. But eventually we do get there.

Thank you for making this really lovely post.

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Closed Thread