TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Antidepressants without withdrawal effects - March 14th 2012, 07:40 PM

Hi, does anyone know if there are any antidepressants that don't have neasty side effects if you miss a dose or suddenly stop taking them? I think I need to get back on some antidepressants as I'm feeling ridiculously low, but one of the reasons I stopped taking them is because I hated the effects I got if I forgot to take a dose (brain zaps, anxiety, shaking, sweating etc). I have so far tried fluoxetine, sertraline, mirtazapine, venlafaxine and duloxetine. The most effective were duloxetine and venlafaxine, but unfortunately they gave me the worst withdrawal effects.
Anyone have any good experiences with antidepressants and minimal withdrawal effects from them?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Antidepressants without withdrawal effects - March 14th 2012, 08:48 PM

I think all antidepressants cause withdrawl in some people. Why not try to find a way to not miss doses instead of trying to find a medication that has bad effects if you miss those doses?
I have a bit of my medication in my car so that no matter where I am I don't miss any.

If you're really hell bent on going through all the antidepressants I found a list on this site (http://apt.rcpsych.org/content/13/6/447.full) of all the antidepressants known to have caused withdrawl. Maybe you could cross-reference it with a full list of antidepressants and find a couple that are excluded and do some of your own research?

It's the nature of how antidepressants work though that cause withdrawl, I think pretty much everything that affects your brain chemistry causes some sort of withdrawl big or small because your body adapts to it.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Antidepressants without withdrawal effects - March 14th 2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeapOfFayth View Post
I think all antidepressants cause withdrawl in some people. Why not try to find a way to not miss doses instead of trying to find a medication that has bad effects if you miss those doses?
I have a bit of my medication in my car so that no matter where I am I don't miss any.

If you're really hell bent on going through all the antidepressants I found a list on this site (http://apt.rcpsych.org/content/13/6/447.full) of all the antidepressants known to have caused withdrawl. Maybe you could cross-reference it with a full list of antidepressants and find a couple that are excluded and do some of your own research?

It's the nature of how antidepressants work though that cause withdrawl, I think pretty much everything that affects your brain chemistry causes some sort of withdrawl big or small because your body adapts to it.
This^. Although you can take that compliment with a grain of salt, too

The real issue is how well they work when you take them. If you feel better, then you'll have to come up with way to remember to take them! That's your task here, all of the meds you've listed need to be taken regularly and consistently. Sometimes, it helps if the doc prescribes them at a certain time, some people can remember more easily at certain times of the day.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Antidepressants without withdrawal effects - March 15th 2012, 10:52 AM

Keeping it in the car is such a good idea! I quite often forget to take them if I'm starting work early because I don't start to function until after 2nd cup of coffee. If I do decide to go back on meds, I think I'll keep some in my car for the times when I do forget.
I'm pretty reluctant to go back on them as I think that they are overprescribed and aren't actually fixing anything, just numbing my mind enough to allow me to get out of bed without crying uncontrollably. I think the government are pushing antidepressants as a way of controlling the masses and keeping us quiet about all the horrible things that are happening in the world. Most of the time, I will take my pills anyway, but sometimes I get so overwhelmed with the thought that I am being controlled that I stop taking them and then the withdrawal just reinforces the belief that someone wants me to take those pills because if they want to control you, they're not going to make it easy to stop taking those meds.

And, yes. I do realise that I just made myself seem crazy and paranoid.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Antidepressants without withdrawal effects - March 15th 2012, 02:44 PM

Antidepressants shouldn't help anyone control you, they shouldn't numb you, they shouldn't change your perspective on anything, they shouldn't change who you are at all. All antidepressants are supposed to do is make it so that the depressive and related negative feelings that you feel are easier to handle and overcome, anything above and beyond that is a side effect and should be told to your doctor.

And yeah keeping it in the car is a good idea If you have a locker at work you can leave some in there, I used to leave them all over my house so I couldn't say I was too lazy to go to the kitchen and take them. If you're at someone's house a lot why not leave a couple there too?

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Silvia Offline
Average Joe

Name: Silvia

Re: Antidepressants without withdrawal effects - March 15th 2012, 05:24 PM

Hi,

I do think nowadays doctors are overprescribing antidepressants... But if u feel u really need them, they are there for you. Always bare in mind, that it is just a way of helping ur brain produce serotonine and other quimicals in charge of keeping us in a good mood, so that we don't spend all day long sunk in negative thoughts and feelings, but they are not the solution to our problems, just a little push...

Closed Thread