TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Speckled Gecko Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Sophie

Unhappy Rejected from 1st choice Uni, can't take it. - March 25th 2012, 08:38 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hi,
I found out the other day that I have been rejected from my first choice university. I know that this sounds so stupid because I do have other options for Uni's, but this is the one that i absolutely loved and being told that i'm not good enough is hard. I've just been getting through the thought that i'm no good for anyone or anything, but this has put me right back to the beginning. My family wants me to appeal the decision, but i don't know if i can take the stress, and i mean it, i might break down (seriously)! Everything is passing by me in a blur at the moment and i want it to stop, all to stop! I feel so bad for posting all of my crap, when others are probably a lot worse, and that makes me feel even worse that i'm such a selfish cow!
I just don't know whether there's any point.
Speckled Gecko

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Rejected from 1st choice Uni, can't take it. - March 25th 2012, 08:58 PM

Hey,

Just because you got rejected from your 1st choice doesnt mean you should give up. Give 1 of the others a try, I'm sure in the end things will work out. <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Rejected from 1st choice Uni, can't take it. - March 25th 2012, 10:13 PM

Although you might view this as a little too harsh, I'll be frank anyway because you're already 17 and are already taking your first steps into the adult life:

We might or might not get along with our roommates, teammates, classmates, bosses, professors, lovers, relatives, etc. Some people would love us or hate us; some people wouldn't care about our existence at all. We would make mistakes; people would complain about our performance. Our job application would get rejected; we would fail some interviews. We might be accused of something we didn't do, etc.

In short, a lot of things won't go your way (unless you're a goddess or a daughter of a god); this is just the beginning. Welcome to life!

-----------------------

We all experience failure at some point in our life; it's inevitable and it's not the end of the world. So we should grow thicker skin and deal with them!

Look, if we're going to take every single failure or every criticism to heart and become depress all over them, then we're marching toward a world of hurt. Being overly sensitive doesn't solve anything.

If we fall down, then instead of just sit there crying and beg for sympathy, it's much better to stand up and keep moving forward. Sure, it's uncomfortable and it might hurt, but hey, whatever doesn't kill us or disable us makes us stronger. Take the fall as the lesson, grow stronger and either try again or press forward--or both.

=====================

And about your situation, you can always temporary attend another university for now. Do well in your classes. Then after a year or two, you can re-apply to your university of choice and transfer there.

Another alternative route is to attend a small college for a year or two to get used to the work load and stress, then re-apply to your university of choice later on.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Rejected from 1st choice Uni, can't take it. - March 28th 2012, 06:04 PM

Hey Sophie, you aren't being selfish by posting at all! Rejections like this are tough, I know we're in different countries, but I went through my own version of this last year. I only applied to one school because of the amount of time, forms and people it required and the school I chose was my first choice. I waited months while my application was processed and then got rejected. As painful as it was, it allowed me to have a year off which I'm now very greatful for and I applied to another school and I got in to start in June. It might be hard to believe right now, but these seem to be words I live by now "Just because life doesn't work out exactly the way you plan, the world doesn't fall apart." If you think appealing the decision will be too much for you, don't put yourself through it. You might be surprised where you end up going.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread