TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

2.5 months old lab bites a lot - October 28th 2013, 09:55 AM

I have absolutely no experience with any kind of pet. So yeah

My labrador is 2.5 months old. I've had him for about a month and half. He has started biting a lot and idk how to teach him not to do that. He is making a game out of it I suppose. And he has this aggressive look on his face when he goes to bite our hand or whatever.

What should I do?

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
A glitch in the system.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: 2.5 months old lab bites a lot - October 29th 2013, 12:40 AM

Hey.

When you say 'biting', do you just mean nipping, or is it actually bad enough to draw blood/really hurt? Because if it's the latter you may need to consult someone more professional, but if it's the former then I may be able to help.

First of all, when is he biting? Is it when you're playing, or around food, or just out of the blue? Regardless, the trick is to make it clear to him that it's not okay. You have to be the pack leader, so to speak, and teach him the rules. When puppies play with their siblings or other puppies, they sometimes get a bit rough, and gradually they need to learn what their limits are, what's okay and what's not. So since you're his 'family' now, you need to take on that role.

If he nips you while you're playing, try making a noise (like a yelp, or something else that indicates pain) and stop playing with him immediately. Turn away, fold your arms, and wait until he's calmed down before you address him again. When my dog was younger she'd get excited at playtime and sometimes nip; so I'd just say 'ouch!', turn around, and wait until she was sitting down and calmer before I'd resume playing. That way the dog will associate nipping with a cessation of playing, and learn not to do it.

You could also try some kind of deterrent. For my dog we use a spray bottle full of water; if she does something she's not meant to (jumps, bites, etc) we just give her a quick squirt. Actually now it's usually enough to just point the bottle at her; she knows what it leads to, and she'll stop the behaviour.

Basically try to get him to associate the nipping/biting behaviour with something unpleasant - like not letting him eat his food until he's calm, or not playing again until he stops. I'm not sure what level of obedience he's at, but training is always a good idea. Try to redirect the behaviour; instead of just saying 'no' if you see he's about to bite, get him to do something else. If you just say 'no' he'll be confused, wondering what you do want, but if you say 'no' to get him to stop biting and then 'sit', he'll (hopefully) do that instead.

I'm not sure if any of this made sense, I'm in a bit of a rush, but feel free to ask for elaboration/clarification.

Good luck!

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: 2.5 months old lab bites a lot - October 29th 2013, 09:56 AM

Hi,

Most puppies do this, my puppy did this usually he would chew things up rather than bite / nip us. We bought him a few sturdy chew toys like a good strong hard rubber tug toy or a good strong rope toy to chew and each time he went to chew the furniture up we would get his chew toys and say in a firm voice 'No' and give him his chew toy to chew instead. Perhaps you could try that ?

Also what we did was if he did nip us whilst playing we would say in like a high voice 'owww' and immeadatley stop playing with him, we did this so that he learns that biting/nipping when playing means 'game over' he doesnt bite or nip or anymore.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Wickgaga Offline
Average Joe

Name: Malorey

Re: 2.5 months old lab bites a lot - October 31st 2013, 10:27 AM

Good advice already given, but if you've had him for a month and a half and he is only 2.5 months old, you got him at what, only 4 weeks old (excuse me if I'm wrong...just woke up, not fully awake)? I'm not sure how you got him, but in any way, that is waaaaaaay too early for puppies to be away from their mother, heck - a lot sell them at 6 weeks and even that is early, as should be sold at 8 weeks at least, so he's missed out on a lot of lessons from littermates and mother, and that includes learning from them as well, when biting is not acceptable or their play biting is too hard. Though he of course would still be mouthy, as puppies are.

"They can't scare me, if I scare them first."

Closed Thread