TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
taylor_4150 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

A decision to make-please help - December 29th 2013, 06:51 PM

Okay so my cat's problem isnt very common so you might not all be able to help but if you could try it would be appreciated.
So my cat has seizures. He's been taking medicine to reduce them. He doesnt have as many because of the meds. But the meds cause liver damage. I dont want to see the seizures, so I give him meds, but the meds cause liver problems, so he suffers either way. Recently, hes started to have bad seizures where he pees during them. He had one while he was in the litter box and it all tipped over. He could be doing this while nobodys home so its really scary. He could hurt himself or even die during a seizure. So is it better to keep him on meds but have liver problems, or is it better to stop/reduce meds but theres more seizures? I really dont know what to do. My parents want to put him to sleep because they are tired of dealing with it.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Chin up, buttercup.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emery

Re: A decision to make-please help - December 29th 2013, 08:33 PM

Hi there,

I've just experienced the loss of my cat. We had him fifteen years, and his situation was similar to yours.
He had a tumor in his mouth, and it was causing him immense amounts of pain. The medication that we got him to reduce the swelling of the tumor only caused frequent seizures.

We ended up putting him to sleep so he no longer had to suffer.
That's what I would suggest to you in your situation.
You don't want to see your pet suffer, do you?
It's hard for them to live in so much pain.
It's not a win win situation for your cat. Your pet will suffer either way you choose, so I would opt for your parents decision and put your cat down.

I'm so sorry. I know this must be hard on you, but I think it's in your cats best interest to have him put down.
If you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to PM me, okay? I'm always here. <3

I love you to the moon and back.

Darling you are the only exception. ~Paramore ♡

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: A decision to make-please help - December 29th 2013, 09:26 PM

Hi there,

In a way, I do agree with Emery. I know that it is really hard, but I know the liver damage will make your cat suffer, but seizures are really difficult for him to go through as well.

It's so hard to watch an animal pass and know you have to put them to sleep, but as my mom put it when my dog had to be put down, "They've been there for us all our life, so now we have to be there fro them, too." It's hard, but watching him suffer with either the seizures or the liver problems isn't really the way to go. I'm sure you don't want to see him in pain?

You can always call your vet and see if they are sure there are no other options available, but personally, if he's going to be suffering either way, then it may be the right thing to do to ease his pain.

-Dez

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Corrupted Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jake

Re: A decision to make-please help - December 30th 2013, 10:08 PM

I know how hard this decision is, as my dog I had in my life since I was born was put down 11 months ago. I absolutely hate saying this, but I think the only painless option you and your cat have left is having him/her put down. It may seem like a horrible thing at first, but when you've had almost a year to reflect, like me, you'll see the good it did.

"Structure is the enemy of progressive thought."

Closed Thread