TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives    The Holiday Resource

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nickylk Offline
Average Joe

Name: Nicky Lk

Is my cat going to be ok?... - April 12th 2014, 04:31 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I got my cat back in January, ever since I brought him home he's been sneezing and I used my free vet exam and even took him back to the humane society to get checked up and the vet told me to give him L Lysine and at the humane society they didnt give me an answer about it.

So, last week I took him to another vet and she said that she doesn't think his sneezing is an infection of any sort but that maybe when he was a kitten he did have one and it perminately damaged his sinuses because he would've gotten better by now if it wasn't perminate. But when he sneezes some times she shoots out human like buggers and some times there is blood in the mucus. When I googled about the blood it said that most of the time its not serious that the blood could be of something blocking his nasal passages or apart of allergies, and I don't have the money to get him further looked at

Also, off and on he will make this weird hacking noise and sometimes stretch out his neck like he cant breathe, I am thinking its maybe a hairball? But I am scared to think that it could be this sinus thing as well I've never had a cat before and all these things and how they act is new to me. I also think I am over worrying because my Grandma's cat we just had to put down because she was not eating and became very dehydrated and lost a lot of weight. But my cat other than the sneezing and that hacking thing seems fine, he's eating, playing, torturing my Grandmas other cat (she had two) and is using the litter box normally.

Can someone who is knowledgeable of cats let me know what they think? Could I be over worrying or should I be worried?

Edgar Allen Poe "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling-my darling-my life and my bride, in the sepulcher there by the sea".
  Send a message via MSN to Nickylk Send a message via Yahoo to Nickylk  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Katie Lydia Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: Is my cat going to be ok?... - April 13th 2014, 02:30 AM

I'm thinking he could have a possible foreign body like a grass seed, stone stuck in there which could cause the sneezing if it's irritating him or it could be cat flu, if he seems fine then it's nothing serious, if your cat starts to withdraw, isolate himself from you it means something is wrong as cats don't like to show they're sick, also check his mucous membranes (gums, eyes, anus) if they're pink then everything is dandy if they're white, blue or yellow then he's either in shock, jaundice or the blood is focusing somewhere on his body which needs it more.

I'd request an x-ray and the hacking thing does sound like a hairball, allow your cat some grass, if he's an indoor cat then you can buy cat grass as this helps them be sick.

Another possibility is he could be allergic to something, it could be food, fabric, other animals etc. Just give him plenty of water (NOT MILK unless it's goat as this is harmful).

Hope I helped.

(I'm qualified in the care of animals and work in a zoo but don't take my word as I can't legally diagnose, always go to a vet!! )

Razors pain you
Rivers are damp
Acid stains you
Drugs cause cramp
Guns aren't lawful
Nooses give
Gas smells awful
You might as well live.

♥ Family ♥ Animals ♥ Cats

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread