TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
burning flesh Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I tried to kill my dog - June 9th 2014, 08:32 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of rape or abuse, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

A while back I tried to murder my dog. I want to make myself into someone who didn't care about others due to reasons that are irrelevant to this post. I tried to strangle her to death, but killing is a lot harder than you might think (I'm not just talking about the emotional aspect), so I gave up.

For about a year before I did this, I was deliberately distancing myself from anyone and I occasionally hit her and her sister as well.

I know that if it were me having been strangled, I wouldn't want to see them ever again, let alone live in the same house as them, however she cannot be given away.

I am NOT asking for understanding or forgiveness. I want to know what the best thing to do for her is: avoid or try to comfort her. I've read that dogs process things differently, and don't hold grudges, but I'm not sure if that's true, or what's best for her. She shakes whenever I'm around, but that's not new. Would it be better for her if I stayed away or tried to bond? If she were a human I wouldn't be asking, but dogs have different psychology and so I am. Would she be more traumatized by me trying to repair our relationship, or by not knowing my intentions?

To be clear, I am not going to hurt her or her sister ever again so they are not in danger from me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Em. Offline
I don't even like cats
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: I tried to kill my dog - June 9th 2014, 10:18 AM

If you are 100% sure that you are never going to hurt her or her sister again, and that you do not feel any negative feelings at all towards them, then try and bond and if they don't want to bond with you again, then unfortunately there's not really much you can do as the damage has been done.

Do your family know that you tried to kill your dog?

If you do feel any hatred or bad feelings towards the dog then maybe you should stay away from her, to make sure she's safe and happy as you do not want a depressed dog. They have feelings too and you should try give your dog away to somebody else, there are charities and organizations who take dogs, you could even sell her and her sister.

Hope it all goes well.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Awakening Offline
L’amore vince sempre
Average Joe

Re: I tried to kill my dog - June 9th 2014, 12:39 PM

Here's an article that you might find helpful: http://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/dogs-forgive-2919.html

You might be able to regain your dog's trust if you spend time with her and exhibit friendly behavior towards her. I'd suggest trying to do this but if you think that being around her is causing more harm than good then it might be a good idea to distance yourself.

I also think it might be a good idea for you to talk to someone about these violent urges that you have had. You might not be experiencing them right now but that doesn't mean that they won't end up affecting you again. I think it would be wise to know how to handle them if they do occur again so that you don't end up hurting anyone. That would be a really difficult thing to live with.

Feel free to message me if you ever need to talk. Good luck!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: I tried to kill my dog - June 9th 2014, 04:46 PM

I agree with what everyone else is saying. In my opinion, I think you should see a therapist/counselor first before trying to fix the relationship between you and your pets. If and when you do decide to see a therapist/counselor, talk them about how you should go about building up trust with your pets. Even though they are a therapist/counselor for humans, they may offer some help and some tips on how to go about regaining trust with your pets.

Anyways, you should start working on regaining the trust with you pets in between the therapy sessions (if you do decide to see a therapist/counselor). Then you should report back to your therapist on what went on and ask for their help on improving the next time.

Member Since 1/15/2012

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MermaidMassacre Offline
Finding beauty in darkness.
I've been here a while

Name: Bridget

Re: I tried to kill my dog - August 25th 2014, 03:58 AM

Could just be me watching too much Criminal Minds, but I think you need professional help. Harming animals can be the start of something worse. Animals are capable of forgiveness, so as long as you never try to abusive your dog again andonly show signs of kindness you should be fine. But seriously, I think you need to see someone because you wanting to kill your dog means there is something more going on that needs to be checked out.

I'll do whatever it takes to be the mistake you can't live without.
  Send a message via AIM to MermaidMassacre Send a message via MSN to MermaidMassacre Send a message via Yahoo to MermaidMassacre Send a message via Skype™ to MermaidMassacre 
Closed Thread