TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Amandaapandaa Offline
Bi and Proud ✴
Average Joe

Name: Manda

Question whats best for my dog...? - September 6th 2014, 08:58 PM

My family & I are 80% likely going to move within the next year to a different state in America . My dog is a very anxious and nervous little tyke and my dad doesn't want to take him with us when we move (since we will be moving to a big city/town). I personally think that we shouldn't bring him because t would make him really anxious and he is already anxious enough as it is where we live right now. I feel awful though to leave him. I know I wouldn't give him to just anybody but I feel like a terrible owner for leaving him here. My dad won't be persuaded.

What should/can I do?

Manda

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: whats best for my dog...? - September 6th 2014, 09:18 PM

Hi there,

I know it must be hard to have to make this decision but you wouldn't be a bad owner if you left him there. If he's an anxious dog and you honestly believe he'd be happier not moving to a big city then that makes you a good owner in my eyes for doing the responsible thing.

That being said, before you make the decision perhaps you could speak to the vet about your dog's anxiety? They might be able to advise you on ways to help keep the dog calm.

I hope this helped, take care

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: whats best for my dog...? - September 6th 2014, 09:56 PM

Hi Manda,

Try not to feel guilty about leaving him. It can be a very difficult decision to make, but you sound like a sensible and responsible person, and you are putting your dog's best interest first- which is definitely a good owner.

If you decide to leave him, you could check out any local animal shelters. They will look after your dog and will make sure that any potential new owners will be thoroughly investigated, so you can have peace of mind about the welfare of your dog. Alternatively, if you decide to find new owners, you can come up with some questions that you would like to ask them about their lives, other pets etc to get a better picture of what kind of home your dog will be going to.

As Cara said, has your dog been to the vets about his anxiety? They will definitely be able to recommend things to calm him down, which will be very useful for him, whatever happens.

All the best

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: whats best for my dog...? - September 9th 2014, 12:39 AM

I agree with what has been said above - I know making this decision can be hard but it''s great that you're looking out for the safety of your dog. When we moved, we were able to buy a spray that made my cats a whole lot calmer. I can't remember exactly where we purchased it, but something similar may be worth looking into if you decide to take your dog with you.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

Closed Thread