TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Talking Hamsters! - September 7th 2014, 08:22 PM

Like the title says!

So on Tuesday (maybe Wednesday, I'm not sure yet) I'm planning to go to Pets at Home and get a hamster. I've never had a pet before (unless you count 7 goldfish over the course of 6 years) so I've been doing some reading. I've read that I'm best to get a cage that's metal wire with a safe plastic casing because it's harder for them to bite through and lets fresh air in and they can smell the room and stuff. Obviously I need bedding/shredded paper, a wheel and something to climb on/play with, food, water bottle, and a ball so it can run about.

I was going to get a Chinese Dwarf but then I saw a photo of a Syrian and ohmygodIwanttocuddleitsomuch so I changed my mind. I'm aware that they're more likely to bite but I've had plenty of nibbles from rats so I don't mind that too much.

So why am I making this thread?
Well I told my aunt about it and she suggested maybe I should get two hamsters so they don't get lonely. I was only planning to get one because I've never had a pet and don't want to jump in too deep right away, but do you think it'd be better to get two that maybe are already living together in the shop so I know they won't fight? I don't want my little hamster getting lonely! I'd prefer to get a bigger cage and keep them both in that than get two cages if that was the case. I have space on a shelf that could fit one cage, even if it was big, but no way I'd get two on there.
So yeah, my question is, do you think I should just get two so they have company?

Also, any other hints, tips, advice would be appreciated! I'm really excited.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Hamsters! - September 7th 2014, 08:41 PM

Louise, you can't get TWO hamster if you're planning on getting a Syrian now. Syrian hamsters are solitary and can be very aggressive with other hamsters so I would never advise buying two.

They live together well as babies but as soon as they become adults they're likely to fight and often these fights are to the death.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Hamsters! - September 7th 2014, 08:44 PM

Hey,

I've had hamsters before and they are cute

If you are getting a syrian hamster it's best to only get one because syrian hamsters are solitary animals, and if you were to get two then after 10 weeks of age they would need to be in different cages.

However if you do want to get two hamsters then a Chinese Dwarf would be suitable because they are sociable and do better in groups providing they have been together with others from a young age. Although if you get a female and a male, the female may be aggressive to the male so you would need to have a place in the cage/play area for the male so hide in. If they do fight it isn't common to lead to any serious injuries. I wasn't suggesting to put them in the same cage. I was saying IF they were placed together(ie taking them out) then the female may turn aggressive. Obviously if you were to get a female and a male you would want them in separate cages so you do not get baby hamsters. It's better to get the same gender if you want them to share a cage.
Oh and for the Chinese Dwarf hamster a glass aquarium or a plastic aquarium is better because they can squeeze through the bars of a standard hamster cage.

Last edited by Lexify.; September 8th 2014 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Clarifying :)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Hamsters! - September 7th 2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
Louise, you can't get TWO hamster if you're planning on getting a Syrian now. Syrian hamsters are solitary and can be very aggressive with other hamsters so I would never advise buying two.

They live together well as babies but as soon as they become adults they're likely to fight and often these fights are to the death.
See this is exactly why I thought I should ask. I'm kind of glad, I don't want to get two and risk neglecting them because it's more than I was ready for to start with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbrokenwarrior View Post
Hey,

I've had hamsters before and they are cute

If you are getting a syrian hamster it's best to only get one because syrian hamsters are solitary animals, and if you were to get two then after 10 weeks of age they would need to be in different cages.

However if you do want to get two hamsters then a Chinese Dwarf would be suitable because they are sociable and do better in groups providing they have been together with others from a young age. Although if you get a female and a male, the female may be aggressive to the male so you would need to have a place in the cage for the male so hide in. If they do fight it isn't common to lead to any serious injuries.
Oh and for the Chinese Dwarf hamster a glass aquarium or a plastic aquarium is better because they can squeeze through the bars of a standard hamster cage.
Yeahhh I think I'll stick with one, as you've both pointed out, two of them would fight. If I did get two they'd be the same gender anyway, I don't want to end up with 645654545 baby hamsters like my cousin.

We are the rainbow

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount13

Edit avatar

Re: Hamsters! - September 7th 2014, 10:59 PM

You've gotten great advice here. As for getting a hamster, new pets are always exciting! Can we see pictures if you do get one?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Wickgaga Offline
Average Joe

Name: Malorey

Re: Hamsters! - September 8th 2014, 03:02 AM

Syrians are the best! Personally, all the Dwarfs I've had were more likely to bite than Syrians. Though, I've heard Chinese Dwarfs are more tame out of the Dwarf varieties.

I'm concerned as to why it was suggested that if you got Chinese that you get a male and female to keep together....worrying about one hamster as enough.....I'm pretty sure having a litter would be even more worry....lol. That was kind of a silly suggestion beside that point, anyways.

I also personally don't agree with hamster balls. This is subject to opinion. I think letting them have a large play area or letting them free roam if you have the safe place to do so is much more rewarding provided also with treats to find and things to climb about. I just never liked them being stuff into a small ball with no option of it or not as a way of letting them out. Plus, hamsters don't have very good eyesight, which is why they so often bump into walls and such in the hamster balls, but if you do decide upon one, at least get a clear one over a colored one.

Also try to find a cage that doesn't have the wire bottom, same with the wheels. As this can cause bumblefoot along with be a hazard to them. If you can, get a Wodent Wheel of a large size, as usually Syrians in petstores are young or babies, and will grow to be larger OR you can tape the gridded / barred wheels on both sides with duct tape. This most likely will have to be changed time to time due to hamsters like to potty in their wheels.

Also make sure you don't get fluff bedding as it is known to get wrapped around limbs and cause circulation problems and etc. if you don't catch it in time.

I'm not sure the types of treats they sell in Scotland, but if you see the Yogurt Chips and such, while they are okay at times, feed in moderation as diabetes in hamsters can become a problem. There is lots of fresh foods they love as treats though! Mine really loved carrots and cooked pasta noodles.

I suppose that's enough lecturing now. I've had hamsters since I was 5 years old, so lots on my mind - haha! Was planning to get into breeding a couple years ago, but kind of grew out of hamsters for the time being and mine have all since passed away. Will get into again one day though!

Here's some of my past Hamsters! Tallinn, Buzz, and Midna!

"They can't scare me, if I scare them first."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Hamsters! - September 8th 2014, 04:52 AM

I wasn't suggesting to place then together, I was merely saying if they were together you would want a place for the male to retreat to because females are more aggressive. It is obvious you don't want to put a male and female together because that will be more likely to have hamster babies. I should of been more clear.

You want to be careful with what type of shavings you get, we've had a hamster who had allergies to the type of shavings we were using so we switched and he grew his fur back. We took him to the vet and she had told us that it was allergies and to try using tissue paper first and feeding the hamster a plain diet to figure out if the allergy was to something he ate or to the bedding. It turned out it was the bedding.

If you are getting a Syrian hamster then they will need space to run around and play, it is best to have a cage that is a minimum of 24 by 12 inches and preferably at least 12 inches tall. The cages with the tubes and the built in stuff will be too small for the Syrian hamster. You don't want a cage with wire on the bottom (they can get bumble foot as mentioned above, and hamsters don't watch where they are walking so they may get their limbs stuck in the cage). If you're going to get a wheel you want on without rungs (a smooth surface)

Although we didn't use hamster balls, if you are then you want to make sure it's in a contained area with no stairs and nothing to really bang in to and it's no longer then 15-20 minutes

They like many fruits and veggies though you want to stay away from citrus and too much broccoli and califlower may give them gas. They like hard boiled eggs, dandelion leaves along with many different veggies/fruit but it is always better to check online before hand. If you're peeling apples/pears/carrots etc then my hamsters always liked to have the skin providing we washed it first If you do give your hamaster tomatoes you want to make sure all the green is removed because they can not eat the green and cherry tomotoes are better because they're smaller

I'll stop rambling now Good luck with your hamster! I always loved hamsters although now we have Guinea Pigs

(#8 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Hamsters! - September 8th 2014, 03:13 PM

Thanks Lexi and Malorey for all that great information! I wouldn't have known about getting a wheel that doesn't have rungs on it.
I went into Pets at Home today so the hamster is 10 and I saw a cage at 15 that comes with a wheel, water bottle, food bowl, and little house.
My plan was to get a shredder and shred paper for bedding because I've read that's really good. NOT newspaper though because the ink can harm them, apparently.
I was also going to get a box, like a plastic storage box, and use that as a kind of play area. The hall is the only place where there isn't anywhere for my hamster to get in and get stuck but it can get quite cool in there and winter is coming soon. I thought if I get a big box then I can put in paper, toilet roll tubes, stuff like that and hide food in there too. That way I can let it out every night for a while without having it in the ball all the time.

Asda (Walmart) has these little bags with grapes, apple, pear, carrots, etc. and it's five for 1.50 so I thought those would be great. I'll get some hamster safe choc chips or yoghurt drops and some little things for it to chew on too, like this:

Is there anything else I'm missing do you think? I know you can't bathe them so is there anything I can do to try and keep it clean or do you just leave them be?

Also, I decided I want to call it Bonnie or Bon-Bon. I'll upload photos when I get it.
(Are male or female better do you think?)

We are the rainbow

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Hamsters! - September 8th 2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaLlamaDuck View Post
Thanks Lexi and Malorey for all that great information! I wouldn't have known about getting a wheel that doesn't have rungs on it.
I went into Pets at Home today so the hamster is 10 and I saw a cage at 15 that comes with a wheel, water bottle, food bowl, and little house.
My plan was to get a shredder and shred paper for bedding because I've read that's really good. NOT newspaper though because the ink can harm them, apparently.
I was also going to get a box, like a plastic storage box, and use that as a kind of play area. The hall is the only place where there isn't anywhere for my hamster to get in and get stuck but it can get quite cool in there and winter is coming soon. I thought if I get a big box then I can put in paper, toilet roll tubes, stuff like that and hide food in there too. That way I can let it out every night for a while without having it in the ball all the time.

Asda (Walmart) has these little bags with grapes, apple, pear, carrots, etc. and it's five for 1.50 so I thought those would be great. I'll get some hamster safe choc chips or yoghurt drops and some little things for it to chew on too, like this:

Is there anything else I'm missing do you think? I know you can't bathe them so is there anything I can do to try and keep it clean or do you just leave them be?

Also, I decided I want to call it Bonnie or Bon-Bon. I'll upload photos when I get it.
(Are male or female better do you think?)
One note with shredding your own bedding you want to make sure the edges aren't sharp because you don't want your hamster to get paper cuts. You can use hay or toliet paper/paper towel rippedinto strips as well

Here's a link of foods which are okay for hamsters as well as what to avoid
http://www.hamsterific.com/hamsterun.../foodlist.html

Personally I think males are better then females just for the simple fact is from what was what we read about females being more moody and can be more agressive although it all depends on your hamster because each is different. Males are generally more mellow
One note, female hamsters urm get "in heat" every 4 ish days...They produce a smell to let umm male hamsters know the are ready to..yeah (make hamster babies) although this smell usually is a sign when they are almost finished and ready to come out of heat. They produce an unpleasant smell to attract males. Again not all hamsters smell the same but just a warning

You can't bathe hamsters, they produce oils which prevent them from getting a cold. Hamsters do spend a long time grooming themselves. The best way to keep them clean is to make sure the cage is cleaned out regularly

If I can think anything else I will reply when I get home and am on my computer

(#10 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Hamsters! - September 9th 2014, 02:21 PM

This is Alfonso. IT'S ONLY BEEN HALF AN HOUR AND I ALREADY LOVE HIM. LOOK AT HIS LITTLE FACE AND THE CARROT AND OH MY GOD.

HE seems to be doing alright. He's confident in exploring his new home and eating the treats I've left for him. He's only panicked once and that was my fault when I was trying to lift the cardboard box he came in out of the cage and because my hand came from above and went over him he got a bit scared. But he's let me stroke him and looks at me all nose twitchy when I talk to him. I'll post more photos soon, I don't want to overwhelm him so giving him time to settle in and get comfy.

We are the rainbow

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Hamsters! - September 9th 2014, 02:45 PM

Awww, he's so cute!! I bet you'll take amazing care of him.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: Hamsters! - September 9th 2014, 02:57 PM

He is so cute!

Member Since 1/15/2012

(#13 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Re: Hamsters! - September 9th 2014, 05:17 PM

Aww, he's adorable, Louise!

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Hamsters! - September 9th 2014, 05:24 PM

Little Fonzie is really cute Louise! If you have anymore questions feel free to send them my way on here, fb or text whichever, I'm always happy to help with rodents

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Hamsters! - September 9th 2014, 08:18 PM

He's such a cutie, the cheeks!

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Hamsters! - September 9th 2014, 08:19 PM

He's so cute

(#17 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount13

Edit avatar

Re: Hamsters! - September 10th 2014, 01:17 AM

Louise, you picked such a cute little guy! I just know you'll take care of him so well.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Amandaapandaa Offline
Bi and Proud ✴
Average Joe

Name: Manda

Re: Hamsters! - September 10th 2014, 08:56 PM

Awh. So adorable ♥ !!!!!! You are going to be a great hamster owner

(#19 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Hamsters! - September 11th 2014, 12:59 PM

So this is Alfonso's second full day with me and he's doing fantastic. When someone comes near his cage he'll come up to the bars and start sniffing, he looks over if you talk to him and is very friendly. He bit me last night but he was trying to get at my ring so it wasn't an attack as much as "Ohhh what's this can I chew it? Oops I missed."
He even squeaks at me when I talk to him sometimes.

My problem is his cage. I'll get my first paycheck from my new job on October 28 so that weekend I'm getting him a new cage. This one is 25 x 30 so it's pretty small. The guy who sold me the cage said it'd be fine for Alfonso, even when he gets bigger. He said I'd never have to buy a new one.
But all it has in it is a house, food bowl, and edible log with parsley in it, and there's barely any space for him to run about. I've been looking this morning for something bigger online just to see what I can find and I've discovered from other customers' reviews that not only is the cage unsuitable for a Syrian because there's no space to have toys and chew thing for them for their entertainment, but the wheel that comes with it (about 6 inches) is far too small for a hamster and can hurt their back.
No one in the store told me I'd need a sand bath for him either.

Most of the hamster cages I've found are pretty small so I think I'm going to just invest in a rat cage with a couple of levels. I'm also going to get this for him to play with when I bring him out:

He's been biting the bars a lot and I've read this is because he's bored so he really needs more toys and things to entertain him but this cage just isn't big enough. I'm really annoyed that I paid for this cage under the impression it was perfect for him, and that I'd never need to get a bigger one because this size would be fine.
I should have looked at the legal cage size requirements before I got the poor guy (80 x 40)

Hopefully this one doesn't do him too much harm until I can get a better one.

We are the rainbow

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Hamsters! - September 11th 2014, 01:23 PM

Sometimes the bar chewing isn't just because they're bored. Even with my old hamster who had a million other things to do she still kept chewing the bars so if you get a bigger cage and it still carries on then don't worry too much. If it's a problem though putting lemon juice on the bars can act as a deterrent, although my hamster just used to lick all the lemon juice off and then go back to chewing again

Do you have something for him to wear his teeth on? Like chewing sticks? If he has other things to chew on he might not be so obsessed with the bars.

I already showed you the website I buy cages from (littlepetwarehouse), their "Little Friends" cages are really big and have narrow bar spacing so are suitable for hamsters. If you end up buying a different rat cage make sure to check the bar spacing first. Ideally it should be under 1cm so the hamster can't try and squeeze out of it

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Hamsters! - September 11th 2014, 06:30 PM

My hamster chewed the bars non stop, no matter how many things I put in his cage to gnaw on!!

(#22 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Hamsters! - September 15th 2014, 10:50 AM

So I've spent the weekend Googling various things and subjecting poor Alfonso to a little poking and prodding. But after looking at several different sites, many diagrams, and checking seven times, I've confirmed that Alfonso is a she. Thanks for that, Pets at Home.
Unfortunately, when searching how often this happens at Pets at Home I also found some horror stories so my main concerns at the moment are that she's healthy and doesn't have any serious health problems, and that she isn't pregnant since they thought she was a boy and kept her with other males.

She is fed hamster muesli and has two carrot sticks (cut into chunks and hidden around her cage) each day for her teeth and because she really likes carrots. She's treated with crunchy fruit bites and the occasional chocolate drop too. She's really active and seems healthy to me, but when I hold her, even just when one of her feet is on my hand, I can feel her heart beating. To me it seems like it's going pretty hard but maybe that's normal?
Her feet are also kind of strange. She has lots of bumps on the bottom of her feet, kind of like this:

My priorities for her at the moment are to get her a bigger cage and more toys, which I can do at the end of next month. (I'll get paid then, no point getting toys before I can afford a cage they'll actually fit in.)

I'm really frustrated with Pets at Home for selling me an inappropriate cage and a hamster that was the wrong gender. I don't mind having a girl at all, I adore Alfonso (no, I'm not changing her name now) but there were reasons I had asked for a boy so I'm a little annoyed with them.
They took my phone number when I got her/him and told me they'd call in a few days to see how the hamster was settling in and to make sure everything was okay. That was on Tuesday so if they do call do you think I should mention this? It seems to happen a lot (my friend bought a "male" guinea pig from them and later found out it was a pregnant female) so I don't think it'd do much good to complain about their practices. I just feel like I need to tell them that they HAVE to check the sex of their animals and that they need better trained staff in this, and in recommending suitable accommodation for their animals. If I hadn't Googled all this, Alfonso would be stuck in that tiny cage with little to nothing to play with for the rest of his/her little life.

We are the rainbow

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Hamsters! - September 15th 2014, 03:39 PM

Hey Louise,

Just wanted to reassure you that her heartbeat being hard is normal for smaller animals especially when you first start handling them as they need to realise that you're not a giant predator about to eat them

The smaller the animal, the faster the heartbeat usually so it's nothing to worry about

As for the feet, it looks pretty normal and I'm pretty sure when I first noticed it I had the same thought and googled it which confirmed that Syrian hamsters do have small pads on their feet like that. As long as they're pink it's normal.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Hamsters! - September 25th 2014, 12:45 PM

Sorry, I'm totally bumping this, but I didn't want to make a new thread.
So I sent Pets at Home an email on their website and posted on their Facebook page.
Spoiler:
I included a photo and then explained my issues:
This is my gorgeous Alfonso bought almost two weeks ago from your Wishaw store. He was sold alongside your small wire cage with house, wheel, food bowl, and water bottle for 15. Since then...
- I have discovered that despite the assistant checking twice and telling me confidently that Alfonso was a boy, that he is in fact a girl.
- The cage is FAR too small, there is no room for a hamster to run about and no space for any toys. I've had to pay 43 to get one that's the correct size for a Syrian (75x40x40) from Amazon.
- The wheel is way too small, if you got her age right, Alfonso is only 12 weeks and she was bending almost halfway around the wheel backwards when trying to run in it. Paid 7 for a new wheel which is the required 8 inches minimum for a Syrian but, surprise surprise, doesn't fit in your cage.
- The water bottle that came with the cage was faulty. I refilled it on Saturday morning and when I went to change the water on the Monday morning I found that no water was coming out of it. God only knows how long poor Alfonso was without water but she was delighted to finally have a drink. 2 on a decent water bottle now too.

I was told that the cage you sold me with Alfonso was perfect for a Syrian, it had everything "he" would need, and I "will never need to get another one. Even when he gets bigger it's still a good size for him."
I've now shelled over 50 extra in less than two weeks because your staff sold me completely inappropriate equipment. I dread to think what might have happened if Alfonso turned out to be pregnant seeing as you were keeping her with other males. I'm really concerned about the welfare of the other animals you sell because most people will take you at your word that your pet supplies are suitable when they clearly are not. I'm really disappointed in this service and will not be returning to Pets at Home in future.

On a happier note, Alfonso is a beautiful hamster who is very friendly. She doesn't bite, but will lick your fingers if they smell like food. If she wants out and you're trying to fix something in her cage, she'll climb on your hand until you bring her out for ten minutes for a cuddle before she lets you finish whatever you were doing. I absolutely adore her and she is honestly the only good thing to have come from this (very expensive!) experience.

A girl called Debbie from their Facebook team asked me to send my contact details to them via PM so she could keep in touch with me. She said she was raising the issues I'd discussed with their Area Manager and Field Pet Manager. This happened between Sunday and Tuesday this week. This morning I got an email from Debbie apologising for everything, saying that they were taking it very seriously and had launched an internal investigation. She assured me that "any action or training deemed necessary will be taken."
She then said that as an apology they wanted to send me some vouchers to spend in the store. She apologised AGAIN and asked for my address so they can send me the vouchers.

So just a note, if you think a pet store has given you false information or mistreated any animals, the best route is to tell them publicly. I've not even had a confirmation email from their website form to say "We've received your complaint and will be in contact soon." yet posting on Facebook has had a result in a matter of days.

Hopefully I can use the vouchers to get Alfonso a wheel that isn't so noisy my dad can hear it from his room. The past two nights I've had to get up at 3am after being completely unable to sleep through it and lie the wheel down so she can't run in it. I feel really bad about it, but the noise really is impossible to ignore.

But yes, a good result from Pets at Home. I'm so glad they're taking me seriously and going to give further training if this isn't an isolated incident. Very pleased with them.
Just a shame the same can't be said for Amazon. Grumblegrumble.

PS:

We are the rainbow

Closed Thread