TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Puppy Proofing - January 13th 2015, 02:59 PM

Hey

I recently adopted a 4 month old puppy, which enjoys to chew on everything despite moving many items in the apartment where he can't reach or get to. He has a dental bone that he chews on and antlers but he doesn't seem to chew on that. I've gotten him toy balls and a rubber chew toy.

What are some things that I could give him for his teeth? I am tempting to go out and buy a bunch of dental bones for him to chew on. I've gotten those milk bone cookie things, amazingly he doesn't like them. Hopefully he will grow to liking them at some point.

I'm not buying him any doggy stuff'd toys, I feel it posses risks to him. I am also staying away from any form of bone or toy that could splinter.

I feel I am missing something that is very obvious to me... Any ideas?

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Most Likely Offline
Avete vos
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: -

Re: Puppy Proofing - January 13th 2015, 03:21 PM

When my dog was a pup, we got her a spiked-like rubber ball with a small ringing thing inside. Obviously the spikes weren't sharp, but they were enough to ensure the ball can be easily grabbed, and the sounds made by the bell made sure it's fun to play with and interesting. She got so attached to it that she loves it to this day, being 5-6 years old, and when we once took her for holidays with us, when we were staying in a motel, a family next to our room had a ringing toy for their kid that made exact same sounds like my dog's toy. She almost ripped our door out :P

One thing though, buying such toys do use a good vet or pet shop. Don't buy them on the market and rather not via the internet... you'll avoid things that have potentially harmful elements in it, chemicals and so.

Who dares - wins.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Most Likely 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Re: Puppy Proofing - January 13th 2015, 03:26 PM

Our dog LOVES to chew on particular treats; she's a bit picky.

I don't know what breed your dog is, but ours is a bit of a larger one, she's a purebred lab. So since she's a bit big, we get her bigger treats. She really loves to eat one brand called "Nudges." They aren't very hard though, they're more like jerky treats, so they get eaten fast. However, there's one other brand that lasts longer for her because it takes her awhile to get it fully eaten; it's much harder and is about 6-7 inches in length. These are from a brand called "Golden Rewards." She adores the porkhide twist with chicken flavor. These treats keep her very occupied, and on her best behavior; she only gets treats if she's being good!

Now, if your puppy is a small breed, it's still perfectly fine to get the treats I've specified; they DO make them smaller. I hope this has been of some help to you, and that you're able to find a solution to your problem soon. Good luck with your new puppy!

I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: Puppy Proofing - January 22nd 2015, 08:08 PM

When my dog was a puppy, he too liked to chew on things. It is common for puppies to chew on things because they are young and don't know better. I think you would sort of do the same thing if you were baby proofing. Of course it is going to be entirely different, but it is the same concepts.

You could try giving him rubber balls or any hard doggie treats.

Member Since 1/15/2012

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: Puppy Proofing - January 23rd 2015, 05:23 PM

I have an obedience trainer coming on the weekend to help and give me some tips and tricks.

I've moved a lot of things away from him. I've puppy proofed my bedroom where nothing is on the floor but a few blankets for his bed. I've gotten him more rawhide bones that he is having a more interest in chewing on them now. Which is great!

I am curious to know what the trainer is going to offer.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#6 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: Puppy Proofing - January 24th 2015, 10:45 AM

Hey,

I know you can buy a lot of sprays that stop them from wanting to chew on stuff. I think it's just a puppy thing. I have two bichon frises and my boy chewed loads of furniture when he was a puppy but the girl never. So I think it just varies dog to dog. Just try to get plenty of toys and things to amuse your dog whilst you aren't around.

Best of luck,
Paige

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Wickgaga Offline
Average Joe

Name: Malorey

Re: Puppy Proofing - January 24th 2015, 02:46 PM

I'd work on "leave it". My new puppy, who is 11 weeks now, once I got the "leave it" command in place, has become easier if he does try to sneak something he shouldn't have, because as soon as I say it, he drops it. Also, don't forget to redirect, if he grabs a cord or shoe, for example, I would instead use "drop it", remove that item from him, and give him a chew toy.

"They can't scare me, if I scare them first."

Closed Thread