TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

2 questions about my cat - March 5th 2015, 03:42 PM

I get really stressed out because my mum simply refuses to give him flea stuff to stop him from catching fleas. She always says that he doesn't need it this time of the year and it really plays my aniexty and stress up because I'm constantly worried that I'm going to catch fleas in my hair. He use to love laying on my bed I loved it to! Now he hasn't got the flea stuff on anymore I don't feel comfortable with him on my bed anymore. I always wash my hands when I touch him in case he has fleas on him and they have jumped on my hands. I personally think it's me being stupid more then anything. my second question is that he constantly meows now. He will run up stairs to the storage room and meow at it then run away. He always meows at us now it's getting to the stage where me and my mum both get annoyed because of it. He meows at least 10 times a day proably more. It's getting to the stage where it's becoming annoying. He's not a young cat hes old but in good health but he's not super old. He's at that stage where he's old but not super super old.
What are your suggestions? Thanks for viewing my thread take care ~Justin~

Points which I forgot to mention: he's an out door cat which means he's allowed out the house when ever he wants to. He also brought a dead mouse in the other day which means he could of inherited fleas from it. I mentioned I didn't want to watch fleas in my hair it's not just my hair I'm worried about it's my whole body haha.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Re: 2 questions about my cat - March 5th 2015, 05:54 PM

You need to put the creme all over him, your mum is wrong. The cat does need it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Skyline Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Skye

Re: 2 questions about my cat - March 5th 2015, 06:46 PM

First of all, to do with the fleas: they don't go into your hair, they stay on your arms and ankles and sometimes your chest. I have 3 cats, and in the seven years not once have I had fleas on my head. We only use the flea product on them if they have fleas in the first place, so most of the time they are unprotected, yet they only get fleas maybe three to four times a year, which isn't a lot. Second of all, don't worry about the meowing. Ten times a day is nothing, trust me. My cats must meow between 20 and 70 times a day. Each.

Just don't worry about the meowing, and if you really want to give your cat flea treatment then go ahead, after all it keeps them away.

Hope this helps a little,

Skye.

"You shall love your crooked neighbour / with your crooked heart."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Avox. Offline
Not In Use
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: 2 questions about my cat - March 6th 2015, 11:00 AM

Heyo!

I have owned a lot of cats, and I never had fleas in my hair but had them jumping onto my arms and ankles.
My current cat is an outdoor cat as well and I use frontline treatment and it really really works. You can also get tablets that helps as well, you can ask your local vet or petshop about it.

If money is the issue, you could look up home remedies?

Hope this helps!

Emily

Survivors have Scars. Victims have Graves.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Narrative. Offline
words MEAN things

TeenHelp Addict

Re: 2 questions about my cat - March 7th 2015, 02:22 AM

Hey!

First of all, even if your cat were to get fleas, they wouldn't migrate to you the way they would another animal's fur. The odd flea might end up on your skin, but if it bites you, chances are you'll feel it. I don't think this is you being stupid - fleas and other pests aren't much fun, so of course you'll want to do anything to reduce their impact.

I've always been told that pets need flea treatment all year round, so maybe you could get your cat's vet to talk to your mother if you think it's that much of an issue? Or you could find her some literature to read - pamphlets or something like that, either online or maybe at the vet clinic (I know the one we go to has all sorts of leaflets about taking care of your pets, including at least two or three specifically about flea control). You could explain to you mother that you have these concerns and would feel much better if your cat were up to date in terms of flea control. It's more prevention than treatment anyway, and it's better to be safe than sorry. You could offer to treat the cat yourself, if possible (for example with our cats, it takes one person to give them a flea tablet, but two if we want to do the liquid spot-on one).

To put your mind at ease, let me ask you this: is there any evidence that your cat does have fleas? Is he scratching a lot? Can you see any 'flea dirt' in his fur (little black flecks that look like, well, dirt)? If there's no sign of any of that, you can reassure yourself that it's just you being cautious and not an actual problem. Still, prevention is better than treatment.

As for the meowing, my first recommendation is to check that he's not actually meowing at something specific. For example our cats sometimes meow if they lose a toy under the fridge or if the spider they were chasing crawls behind the wardrobe, and since they have quite good memory they'll come back to the spot for a few days. It could be that his meowing, if he's suddenly more vocal, is a sign that something else could be wrong. Does it sound like he's in pain at all? It might be worth getting the vet to check him out anyway, just to make sure he's not trying to draw your attention to something that might be physically wrong with him. Animals can become a lot more vocal when they're not feeling well.

It could also simply be that his behaviour is changing. In which case it might be slightly annoying for you guys, but there's not much you can do about it, especially because it's not misbehaving in the strictest sense. So if you can rule out any external or internal causes, you might just need to adjust to it.

I hope some of this helped!

just because it hurts to go on
doesn't mean the battle can't still be won
;

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Smile Re: 2 questions about my cat - March 10th 2015, 11:47 PM

Thanks everyone!

Take care ~Justin~

Closed Thread