TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Why has our cat become an annoyance at night time keeping the house awake! - October 24th 2015, 12:32 PM

Hi everyone!

We have our cat he's not a young cat we have had him about 10 years and we love him lots. He has been keeping us awake at night for the past 3 nights in a row and it's beyond a joke because we have work and other things to go to. My mum is the one who's getting effected the most because her door is broken and all you have to do is push it very slightly and it will open. The cat comes up around 3 times a night and goes in her room stands there looks at her and goes back out. Me and my mum are both light sleepers and because I have a light in my room because of my anxiety at night time she gets woken up. Why is our cat doing this? He's more then welcome to come in my room and sit with me if he's lonely.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Why has our cat become an annoyance at night time keeping the house awake! - October 24th 2015, 01:16 PM

Probably because cats are massive knobs.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: Why has our cat become an annoyance at night time keeping the house awake! - October 25th 2015, 07:49 AM

Can you and your mom keep your bedroom doors cracked open just enough for your cat to come in? This way the noise of the door won't wake neither one of you.

Since your cat is 10 years old, chances are is that he is not very active in terms of being playful. Still, in some cases older cats still like the attention of their owners and this may be his way of attempting to get your attention if he's ignored during the day. Maybe try to spend more bonding time with him during the day? You can do this by holding him, petting him and attempting to play with him even by simply using a string. If he does begin being more playful, don't encourage him to overdo it since he isn't a kitten or a young cat anymore.

Have you recently changed the pattern in which you feed him? If he is being fed early in the morning and a few hours before you and your family go to sleep, he may be getting hungry in the middle of the night therefore attempting to wake others up to feed him. A suggestion would be to give him a slight bit more food than other meals right before you go to sleep to see if that changes his behavior.

Does your cat have a cat bed of his own? If not, it could be a good idea to invest in a cat bed to keep elsewhere in the house for when he sleeps. This way he'll be discouraged from going into the bedrooms to sleep. If that doesn't work then would it work to put a cat bed to put beside one of your beds so your cat will have a place to sleep near you? Cats sometimes want to be around their owners and providing a comfortable place for your cat to sleep near you could help this problem if that's the case.

There can be reasons behind your cat keeping you up but sometimes it's something simple such as him wanting your attention, feeling lonely or just being nocturnal and spontaneous like cats usually are! But I hope this helped and that you figure something out with your kitty. Best of luck.

Closed Thread