TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Catlady Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Smile This cat lady NEEDS a cat! - November 17th 2015, 10:49 PM

Like seriously how can I convince my mom I need a cat?! Really hard to fufill my life long dream of being a crazy cat lady without a cat lol Thanks loves!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: This cat lady NEEDS a cat! - November 17th 2015, 11:14 PM

First of all, may I ask why your mom isn't in agreement of you getting a cat? Tackling her main concerns may help convince her. For example, she may have financial concerns or need reassurance that you would take care of it when she is busy.

My suggestion is to sit down and talk to her. Let her know you've really been wanting another cat and ask her if it would be okay to adopt one. Reassure her that you'd be committed to the process of taking care of the cat (if you are, I'm sure you would be!) such as spending enough bonding time with him/her. They can become rather rebellious if they don't get enough attention! Then there is the proper feeding, replacing the water with clean water, cleaning up any messes and maintaining a fairly clean litter box, etc. Going over all of the responsibilities of adopting a cat with her is an in-depth discussion, which would show her you are committed and willing to take on the responsibilities.

Hope this helped and that you are able to adopt another cat. Keep us updated? They can bring a lot of joy as you know. If you do get one soon, you'll have to show us!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Catlady Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: This cat lady NEEDS a cat! - November 17th 2015, 11:38 PM

Thank you! It is mainly financial concerns.. I am just trying to be patient with it. Just really love cats and want one!! I know it might sound crazy but like when I am around cats and had my cat I was a lot happier! Yes, I definitely will if I am able to convince her Thanks for the advice

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
I'm sorry you lost.
TeenHelp Addict

Re: This cat lady NEEDS a cat! - November 17th 2015, 11:38 PM

Hey there.

Ellie's given you some good advice, so I'm going to approach this from a different angle - one you may not like as much.

The first thing to keep in mind is that, since you're only fifteen, if you do get a cat it will ultimately be your mother's responsibility. You need her permission to get it, which probably means that it will go under her name, and it will likely be up to her to take it to the vet, buy food, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong, but at your age a lot of the responsibility of having a pet will fall on your parent/guardian - unless you have your own income, source of transportation, and everything else you'll need in order to take care of the cat.

Second, remember that pets are a huge responsibility - especially cats, which can live for up to twenty years. Do you know where you'll be twenty years from now? Will you still be able to care for a cat? What will happen if you move out, go to college, do an exchange program? Again the responsibility may well fall to your mother, and if she didn't want a cat in the first place it's not fair to ask her to take that on. You may be in a great position to care for a cat now, but things are likely to change for you in a few years - you'll start thinking about moving out, making a career, all these things that will impact your ability to take care of the cat you so desperately wanted as a teenager.

In all honesty, I would recommend waiting a few years, maybe until you move out of home or at least know what you're going to do after you finish school. That way the cat will definitely be your responsibility, and you won't need your mother's permission or input. You said it's a lifelong dream to be a crazy cat lady - so what's a few more years? You'll have plenty of time to have all the cats you want later on, but if your mother doesn't want one now then you'll have to respect her decision because you're still living under her roof.

I'd also recommend talking to your mother about this, being as open and honest as you can. Think about the future, about how the cat will fit into your life in a few years, and be honest about your ability to care for a pet both now and in the future. But if she decides that having a cat now wouldn't be a good idea, you should honour her decision.

In the meantime, could you volunteer at an animal shelter or maybe go to any cat cafes that may be near you? That way you can be around cats without having the responsibility of actually owning one.

Like I said, this probably wasn't what you wanted to hear, but I think it's important to think about. Pets are for life, and they're a huge responsibility - so you need to make sure that you, and anyone you live with, are absolutely ready for it.

Good luck, and I hope that whenever you do get a cat it's a great experience.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Catlady Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: This cat lady NEEDS a cat! - November 17th 2015, 11:50 PM

I did need to hear about it from a different angle. Makes me have a better understanding of the situation. I feel that at this point in my life and the things I am going through having a cat would help me. But I totally get what you have said! Definitely need to take all of that into consideration. Thank you!!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
I'm sorry you lost.
TeenHelp Addict

Re: This cat lady NEEDS a cat! - November 18th 2015, 10:10 PM

Thanks for taking my advice on board; I was worried I might have offended you. I definitely understand where you're coming from. There's actually quite a bit of science behind the idea that pet ownership can actually be beneficial. But the thing is, pet ownership is often a trade-off - what you want against what's best for the pet. So in your case, while having a cat would almost certainly help you, it's also important to consider whether living in your house would be good for the cat. Financial concerns are very valid reasons to be reluctant to get a pet. My cat, for example, had a vet bill this year that cost about the same as a month's worth of groceries - and that's on top of the regular vet check-ups, vaccinations, his other slightly-urgent vet bill that then required another week's grocery money on medications, and of course all his living expenses. So when you have pets it's important to have an emergency fund in case anything unexpected happens, and that can be quite expensive. When you take on a pet you kind of make a silent promise to love them in sickness and in health, and unfortunately that invariably means vet bills. Maybe you could look into fostering cats for a welfare organisation? That's more short term so could be more manageable, and often the rescue place will foot the vet bills so all you have to worry about is upkeep. Again, good luck with whatever you do, and I wish you all the best.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Catlady Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: This cat lady NEEDS a cat! - November 19th 2015, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static Wolfie. View Post
Thanks for taking my advice on board; I was worried I might have offended you. I definitely understand where you're coming from. There's actually quite a bit of science behind the idea that pet ownership can actually be beneficial. But the thing is, pet ownership is often a trade-off - what you want against what's best for the pet. So in your case, while having a cat would almost certainly help you, it's also important to consider whether living in your house would be good for the cat. Financial concerns are very valid reasons to be reluctant to get a pet. My cat, for example, had a vet bill this year that cost about the same as a month's worth of groceries - and that's on top of the regular vet check-ups, vaccinations, his other slightly-urgent vet bill that then required another week's grocery money on medications, and of course all his living expenses. So when you have pets it's important to have an emergency fund in case anything unexpected happens, and that can be quite expensive. When you take on a pet you kind of make a silent promise to love them in sickness and in health, and unfortunately that invariably means vet bills. Maybe you could look into fostering cats for a welfare organisation? That's more short term so could be more manageable, and often the rescue place will foot the vet bills so all you have to worry about is upkeep. Again, good luck with whatever you do, and I wish you all the best.
Thank you so much! No I was not offended by it at all, I need to hear different point of views. It's very important to learn why the person does not want you to have the pet. Thank you again!

Closed Thread