TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
A glitch in the system.

TeenHelp Addict

Pet-related pet peeves. - December 17th 2015, 09:46 PM

I'm sure we all have these, whether they're things that other pet owners do (or don't do), questions we're asked, or misconceptions that other people have. I thought this would be a nice thread to rant/commiserate/sympathise.

One of my big ones is people assuming that because their dog is friendly, it's okay to let them off-lead around my dog. Like, that's great buddy, but when you let your three terriers off lead around my cattle dog and they bail her up in the corner, you're very lucky she doesn't eat them. I find a lot of owners also misinterpret what "good around other dogs" means - most of the "friendly" dogs I come across are actually quite badly behaved and even worse at recognising dog body language than I am.

Another big one, which I do not let anybody do with my dog, is when you have visitors to your house and your dog does something you're trying to train them not to do (for example, jump up), so you tell the visitor something like "Just turn your back on her until she sits" but the visitor goes "Oh I don't mind if she jumps up". That's not the point. If the dog's owner doesn't want the dog doing something, you, as the guest, should respect that and follow their instructions. I just feel like it's kind of rude, you know?

All right, rant over. Your turn guys, have at it.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Pet-related pet peeves. - December 18th 2015, 02:03 AM

When kids don't leave an animal alone. Not necessarily MY pet since I only have fish. But in general. That's how someone gets hurt.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: Pet-related pet peeves. - December 18th 2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static Wolfie. View Post

Another big one, which I do not let anybody do with my dog, is when you have visitors to your house and your dog does something you're trying to train them not to do (for example, jump up), so you tell the visitor something like "Just turn your back on her until she sits" but the visitor goes "Oh I don't mind if she jumps up". That's not the point. If the dog's owner doesn't want the dog doing something, you, as the guest, should respect that and follow their instructions. I just feel like it's kind of rude, you know?
YES. I AGREE! I am training my dog not to jump and people say it's okay. I had a lady actually trained him cause he jumped and I apologized. She was fine just told him to get down and used her hands. She mentioned that her dogs were like that.

So, Bentley has this thing where he doesn't like to be outside, so he runs out, I close the door, walk away, he then jumps on the window... I open the door... walks the other way. He repeats it. Till I tell him, "IN" and he comes in. Urg, so annoying.

I hate walking and find dog crap on the grass. I get my backyard is a mess but that is my yard and people aren't walking there. But, where people are suppose to walk, clean up after your dog and don't leave the shit lying around for someone to step on... It bothers me. I nearly stepped in a watered poop cake today...

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Pet-related pet peeves. - December 19th 2015, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static Wolfie. View Post
One of my big ones is people assuming that because their dog is friendly, it's okay to let them off-lead around my dog. Like, that's great buddy, but when you let your three terriers off lead around my cattle dog and they bail her up in the corner, you're very lucky she doesn't eat them. I find a lot of owners also misinterpret what "good around other dogs" means - most of the "friendly" dogs I come across are actually quite badly behaved and even worse at recognising dog body language than I am.
I agree with this. I hate when people let their dogs off the lead. They seem to ignore the signs that my local park has of receiving a fine if they don't have their dogs leashed haha.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Pet-related pet peeves. - December 20th 2015, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
I hate walking and find dog crap on the grass. I get my backyard is a mess but that is my yard and people aren't walking there. But, where people are suppose to walk, clean up after your dog and don't leave the shit lying around for someone to step on... It bothers me. I nearly stepped in a watered poop cake today...
Couldn't agree more with this. My dog usually does her business in the backyard but on the rare occasions when she's done it somewhere else, I've picked it up. So many people around here don't clean up after their dogs and I've ruined perfectly good pairs of shoes because of it.

I agree with Dez, too. I don't like it when people tease an animal, especially with food.

Something I also don't like is when people leave their dogs outside. There's this dog by my house and he is chained to a tree. He has shelter and food, but he is not allowed inside and that makes me sad. His whole life revolves around that tree. The laws about that vary where I live, but it's legal here to keep an animal outside as long as it has shelter.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Pet-related pet peeves. - December 20th 2015, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Something I also don't like is when people leave their dogs outside. There's this dog by my house and he is chained to a tree. He has shelter and food, but he is not allowed inside and that makes me sad. His whole life revolves around that tree. The laws about that vary where I live, but it's legal here to keep an animal outside as long as it has shelter.
Oh my god yeah. They may have shelter, but in the winter it still gets super cold and in the summer super hot with the sun beating down on you, and how often do they play with the dogs? I dunno, my dog always got free reign of the house except when she was being housebroken she couldn't go into the living room at night when we were all asleep. She even slept in our beds. The only place she wasn't allowed was on couches because guests sat there too.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
A glitch in the system.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Pet-related pet peeves. - December 22nd 2015, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiphany. View Post
When kids don't leave an animal alone. Not necessarily MY pet since I only have fish. But in general. That's how someone gets hurt.
Yes! And parents who don't supervise their children closely enough around pets, especially out in public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
So, Bentley has this thing where he doesn't like to be outside, so he runs out, I close the door, walk away, he then jumps on the window... I open the door... walks the other way. He repeats it. Till I tell him, "IN" and he comes in. Urg, so annoying.
Oh yes, the good old yo-yo. My cats do that a lot. Sometimes they'll go out one door and want to come straight back in the other door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow. View Post
I agree with this. I hate when people let their dogs off the lead. They seem to ignore the signs that my local park has of receiving a fine if they don't have their dogs leashed haha.
I can relate to this as well. There have been a few times when I'm walking my dog in a public place, clearly signposted with "no dogs off-lead", only to have off-lead dogs come sprinting past... or, even worse, running up to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassado View Post
Couldn't agree more with this. My dog usually does her business in the backyard but on the rare occasions when she's done it somewhere else, I've picked it up. So many people around here don't clean up after their dogs and I've ruined perfectly good pairs of shoes because of it.
That's so annoying. I always, always clean up after my dog, and it really bothers me when other people don't do the same with theirs - especially at dog parks where bags and bins are actually provided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassado View Post
I don't understand why people like this have pets. With the exception of some pocket pets, all of my animals have lived mostly inside with the family, and I wouldn't have it any other way. If you don't want to spend time with a dog, or let it actually be a part of your family, then what the heck are you doing with one?

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Pet-related pet peeves. - December 22nd 2015, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiphany. View Post
This is one of my biggest pet peeves. I actually had kids over for thanksgiving and put one of my cats in my room because she's mean and I didn't want any incidents. However, I left my other cat out because she generally likes people and is friendly. The kids were playing with her and she was fine with it but then they started to get rough and I could tell she was getting annoyed. I immediately got stern with them and told them to leave her alone because I didn't want her to swat at them or bite. They weren't listening at first and my sister in law spoke up. I was grateful because I was getting a little annoyed. My cats really good I don't need anything bad to happen that will have people dislike her or get her in trouble.

I also really hate when people just leave their dog poop on the lawn. We have one garage where we live so one of our cars is always parked at the curb and that's right by grass. My neighbor and this old man literally let their dogs poop and don't pick it up. I've stepped in it once or twice. My neighbor just assumes the gardeners will pick it up. I don't know what the old mans issue is. But, I've witnessed both of them see their dogs poop and walk away. All it takes is bringing two plastic bags with you and using one to pick up the poop and the other to hold it.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#9 (permalink)) Old
The Sloth Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Pet-related pet peeves. - December 23rd 2015, 09:49 AM

Personally I hate it when people don't watch their children well enough around pets, or when animals are left outside stores while the owner shops. Especially when the pet is left outside for a decent amount of time - or when it is the middle of the day. Ugh

(#10 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Pet-related pet peeves. - December 23rd 2015, 04:08 PM

I thought of another one! I don't like it when people bring their dogs into regular stores with them. I noticed people tend to do that more now, especially because it is acceptable to bring a pet to a pet store. But, I've seen people bring their dogs into home improvement stores and stores with food in them which is both a danger and a health hazard. In some places I actually think it's illegal to bring a non service animal in a store that sells food. I have a dog and I love all my cats dearly but I don't take all of them into the grocery store with me.

Quote:
I don't understand why people like this have pets. With the exception of some pocket pets, all of my animals have lived mostly inside with the family, and I wouldn't have it any other way. If you don't want to spend time with a dog, or let it actually be a part of your family, then what the heck are you doing with one?
Exactly! My dog was abused in the house she was in before us, and they used to keep her outside or under the house. When we first got her, she was afraid of going for walks or going in the yard because she didn't think she'd be allowed in the house again. I don't understand people like that either but I'm not very social unless I'm on TeenHelp so that's why I have so many cats to replace a social life.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

Closed Thread