TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BookDragon Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Caitlyn

my cat has fleas! - December 21st 2015, 01:14 AM

My cat has fleas! I've just given him a bath with mild soap and sprayed him with white vinegar because pet MD said that would help kill them. Is there anything I can do to speed their demise and quicken his healing? He has a couple of scabs from nibbling.

My body may be a temple but I am the god to whom it is devoted. Do not presume to tell me how I may decorate my altar.

repeat after me: i can and i will. i may not get there right away. i may fail multiple or even hundreds of times. but i am going to pick myself back up and eventually get to the point i want to be at in my life.
  Send a message via Skype™ to BookDragon 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: my cat has fleas! - December 21st 2015, 01:46 AM

You need to get rid of the fleas that are in the house. If you clean only your cat the fleas will come back because they are living in your carpets and stuff. You can get a flea bomb thing but it's deadly to cats so you'd have to find somewhere to place them. There are some home remedies like shrinking salt all over your house and vacuuming after a few days.

If you Google 'natural home remedies for fleas' in Google the first link that pops up (at least for me?) lists like ten remedies. I'd do the salt but that's only because I had a neighbor do that and it took care of their fleas.

Hope this helped and best of luck. Fleas suck!

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: my cat has fleas! - December 31st 2015, 02:50 AM

Hi there!

Like Breaking Beautifully said, one of the ways to help get rid of fleas is to clean. Maybe try cleaning your cats bedding...that might help to get rid of them.

You can also ask your vet to get some flea protector.

Hope it helps!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
I'm sorry you lost.
TeenHelp Addict

Re: my cat has fleas! - December 31st 2015, 11:33 PM

Hey there.

I don't know any home remedies as I've always used vet-recommended treatments, but you could look into those if you want. As the others have said, you need to assume that the fleas aren't just on your cat - they're in your cat's environment. So clean your cat's bedding, anywhere it might have slept, even clothes it might have recently come into contact with. If you have any other pets in the home be sure to treat them at the same time so you tackle it on all fronts.

You'll also probably want to keep an eye on your cat while he's healing, especially as you said he's been nibbling. Try to prevent him from doing that, as you know (but he doesn't) that it won't actually help in the long run. If the fleas prove resistant, you can go to your vet and ask for a more powerful treatment - these tend to be more expensive but also more effective, and might be worthwhile if you're having issues dealing with the problem.

I hope this helped a bit, and I hope your cat is flea-free soon!

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: my cat has fleas! - January 8th 2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookDragon View Post
My cat has fleas! I've just given him a bath with mild soap and sprayed him with white vinegar because pet MD said that would help kill them. Is there anything I can do to speed their demise and quicken his healing? He has a couple of scabs from nibbling.
Is it an inside cat, or outside cat? You may need to treat your house. My cat had fleas about a year ago. Giving him baths resolved the fleas for awhile, but they kept coming back (and he is an inside cat). We had to bomb our apartment twice before it solved the issue. There's some kits you can get online. The one we had, had a spray that you sprayed the carpet and furniture with, then you placed powder all over the carpet and shifted it around with a broom and let it sit for several hours while you leave, and then vacuum it up. It was a pain. But he's been flea free for about a year.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."
- Carl Sagan

(#6 (permalink)) Old
JohnOldman Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: my cat has fleas! - January 13th 2016, 01:50 PM

Some good useful things for you)

1. Flea Comb

This is very similar to the flea comb for dogs, and while some cats may find the scent of citrus unappealing, the way this is prepared can lessen the intensity of the smell to their sensitive noses (but not to the fleas) because you don’t use straight lemon juice. Fleas hate the overwhelming smell of lemon, and it seems to help deter them. Combining the lemon with a flea comb-it can be either a regular comb, although the super fine toothed ones sold in stores are optimum-does twice as good a job. You get the pests out with the comb, while leaving a lingering scent of lemon that will keep them from coming back.

2. Apple Cider Vinegar Bath or Spray

Would you want to chomp onto something that smelled overwhelmingly foul to you? Probably not. The same thing is true of fleas and vinegar-even apple cider vinegar, which I actually like the smell of. Applying this during a bath or as a spray does not change a cats internal Ph. levels, and is a good way to naturally remove fleas, especially on kittens.

3. Dry D.E. Shampoo

Diatomaceous earth (DE) is a naturally occurring rock that is made up of the fossilized remains of ancient hard shelled algae (called diatoms, hence the name.) Easily crumbled into a fine powder, DE is an effective and safe means of repelling fleas. While harmless to humans or pets, it is lethal to fleas because of its tiny but incredibly sharp edges that can slice right through the pest’s tough, waxy, exoskeleton. The fleas then die of dehydration. It is important that you only use food grade diatomaceous earth-any other kind is not approved for use on animals or humans, not to mention it will be too finely ground to kill the fleas. Food grade can be safely used externally and internally in both humans and animals, which means that when your cat goes to lick itself off, DE won’t hurt it.

Closed Thread