TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Possible New Dog In House - November 29th 2016, 11:37 AM

Yesterday, a lady came with her dog. The dog is female, not fixed, the dog is well behaved only have a few concerns. Later, my roommate approached me saying, "she might be moving in and that is why she was here." I'm like okay.

Later I began thinking about Bentley who is fixed, and the female dog which is a mix of a wiener dog and dash hound. So it it smaller than Bentley.

Bentley and the dog were playing, after Bentley settled down from meeting her, Bentley was playing nice and the dog was nipping at Bentley and would back off.

I have worries that she will bite Bentley while he is playing nice with her. She was growling and snipping when I was playing ball with both of them. Which I kept telling Bentley to be "gentle" and he was gentle.

If they move in its fine but I don't know what rules to set in place. When I am not home Bentley is in his crate and my roommate has taken him out but put him back. Since there might be another dog in the house I don't want them alone unsupervised without me there. I am worried that this dog might hurt my dog because of the way they were playing, how she was so nippy towards Bentley while showing her teeth.

I would say that Bentley stays in his crate till I am back. I would talk to my one roommate about giving him permission to take him out but put him back in. I'm not able to trust this dog completely if they move in.

Any advice or suggestions would be helpful.

I don't know if the dog has her updated shots. Bentley is due for his in December. Not sure if I should be asking. But I told the owner of her dog Bentley has all his shots and he is due for more in December and that his rabies has another 2 years cause he got the 3 year rabies.

Any help is much appreciated.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Possible New Dog In House - November 29th 2016, 07:36 PM

Something you could do is explain to your friend that if he takes Bentley out of the cage they need supervision and explain what rules you would need him to follow in regards to the supervision. If you aren't comfortable with giving him rules then simply explain that you do not want Bentley out of the cage. In this instance, your friend should respect your wishes.

The dogs might be able to become friends. There are a number of reasons that this dog might have been acting this way. But, I agree that supervision until they get used to each other or even after is a must. I have had dogs and I've never had an issue with introducing them to one another but I have heard of these type of issues arising.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline

I can't get enough

Re: Possible New Dog In House - November 30th 2016, 11:23 AM

Thank you for the reply Jenna

I feel more comfortable having Bentley in his crate that way I know he is safe, won't get out (having random people call me saying my dog has been found) or something happening. I watch as they played yesterday and Bentley was nice and kind, but the dog is territorial with everything.

This morning I found Bentleys toy, one of his favorites shredded to pieces. My one roommate said we can buy new toys. "What for them to get destroyed again? What is the point in buying toys? Bentley loved this toy." so I walked away annoyed and threw it out. Grabbed his other toy and brought it to my room. I am annoyed. This dog literally shredded my dogs toy.

Moving his bed into my room cause what the dog is going to shred that too.

I don't want Bentley around the dog without me being there. I hope it doesn't cause issues for the new roommate as she loves animals. The dog shredded his toy and I am upset over it. The dog nips and tries to bite when Bentley wants to play with a ball together, nope that dog tries to nip.

I am afraid this dog is going to teach Bentley bad dog manors. I don't know if that is even possible to happen.

I'm afraid to address it with her that I am upset Bentleys toy got shredded and other issues. I know Bentley has issues but he is a sweet, kind and gentle dog. He respects other dogs. He needs work on walking and him seeing another dog but he would never hurt another dog.

+

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Possible New Dog In House - November 30th 2016, 02:37 PM

In truth, you are probably going to have to talk to this lady about her dog and some of your concerns. I know you don't want to cause issues but the thing it, this dog is not being nice and the animal shredded a toy. It is up to the owner to ensure that that doesn't keep happening. The only way she is going to know it's an issue is if you talk to her about it.

Someone else might come along who has better tips as well. I know Chess is good with animal stuff so if she replies it will probably be a good bit of information. But, from experience, if you have an issue with someone the best way to resolve it is by talking to them. While the issue isn't with the person it is with their dog and they are the only one who can make a change with their animal or at least keep an eye on them and make sure they don't destroy toys.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline

I can't get enough

Re: Possible New Dog In House - November 30th 2016, 08:01 PM

I agree with you in talking to her. She apologized and said she will buy him another toy. It's not about that - her buying a replacement toy. She said she buys ropes and things that her dog can't rip up to get at the little squeaker. My dog doesn't destroy his toys, he is gentle playing with them. Getting more toys like the ones he has (plush like toys) is a waste of money now. I would need to keep them in my room. I am now worried the dog will chew apart a pillow I got Bentley and the purpose I got it was for a training tool when everyone eats. Now, at some point that dog is going to rip a whole in it cause it was fluff in it.

Now I will be moving it to my bedroom and training him from there. Have him go there when he is told. Still not a bad way to train, still works but would require much more patience and time.

I am going to talk to her later today when she returns back. Set ground rules that I don't want Bentley out of the crate while I am not home.

For an example, Bentley and Snooki (the dogs name) were both in the kitchen with me while I was putting my dishes in the dishwasher. Bentley walks past Snooki and she freaked out and growled then Bentley barked at her. Had to yell at them to knock it off. Snooki is trained in many area that Bentley isn't but this dog doesn't know how to be friendly around Bentley who wants to play nicely.

My concern still stands of this dog going to teach Bentley bad manors.

I hope this discussion with her goes smoothly.

+

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
A glitch in the system.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Possible New Dog In House - December 13th 2016, 09:24 PM

Hey there,

I'm sorry it's taken me a while to reply to this! Since it's such a multifaceted issue I wanted to make sure that I had the time to sit down and reply to all of it in detail rather than just giving a generic or vague reply. So, here I am.

First, I think you're well within your rights not to want Bentley out of his crate while you're not home, especially if he's going to be around a dog he's not very familiar with. While the dogs are still in the stages of getting to know each other it's important that they're supervised at all times so that the owners can identify and deal with any problems as they arise, rather than waiting for them to build and potentially cause harm to either dog. I'm not sure if you've had a chat with the other dog's owner yet; if so, how did it go? I think it's a very good idea for you both to establish some ground rules before things go any further.

As far as their playing goes, do you have a better idea of how they're interacting now? Growling in itself isn't necessarily an aggressive act; my dog growls at me when we're playing, and sometimes I growl back - there's nothing actually threatening because she knows that the game ends if her teeth hit human skin, so it's all just part of the fun. She also growls when she's playing with other dogs, which is kind of the equivalent of me being sarcastic with my friends - it may sound mean from an outside perspective, but those actually involved in it know there's no harm or hard feelings. Do you think that could be the case with the other dog? If she's actually biting Bentley then yes, that's definitely a problem (especially if Bentley doesn't appreciate it), but if it's just growling and showing teeth then that may not actually be an issue.

Has the other dog destroyed any more of Bentley's toys? It could be that it was a once-off because the dog was stressed, unsupervised, or particularly energetic. I don't think it's a waste to buy your dog more toys, but you might just need to be careful about where you leave them. You could teach the other dog not to go into your room, and that way Bentley will have a safe space where he can leave his toys or go to play with them where he won't be disturbed and they won't be destroyed.

It's possible for dogs to pick up bad habits from each other, but those can be corrected with habits. For example sometimes my dog comes back from the boarding kennel and thinks she can get away with doing things she's not allowed to do (such as jumping up on people) because she's been around other dogs who may have different rules or behaviours. It usually only takes a couple of days to get her back into line, simply by being firm and reminding her of the boundaries. So if Bentley starts to display any behaviours you don't want him to have, put a stop to them as soon as you can. Keep an eye on him, especially when he's interacting with the other dog, and be ready to redirect his behaviour or remind him of what the rules are.

It's also vital to be proactive during this whole process. Don't wait for problems to develop or worsen - if you see something that could be a problem, deal with it ASAP. A lot of it will likely have to be a collaborative effort between you and the other dog's owner because you both need to be on board if it's to do with an issue that could affect both dogs. Work together to come up with solutions that benefit everyone, and let the others in the house know what's going on so that they can help with training or enforcing rules if necessary.

One last thing to consider is that, counter-intuitive as it may seem, sometimes you have to let the dogs sort it out. If you're constantly trying to intervene or mediate then the dogs will never really feel comfortable with each other. They may need some time just to figure out their boundaries and how to properly play and coexist. For example the first time my dog was introduced to my friend's dog, we were worried because they both seemed on edge, so initially we kept trying to keep them apart a bit; that didn't work, but when we ended up just giving them free rein they managed to work out how to play together because they set their own boundaries and got a feel for each other's style of play. So if the dogs aren't actually hurting each other and neither of them seem particularly aggressive or distressed, sometimes it can help to just let them be (as in, don't intervene - still keep a close watch, especially at first) so they can self-mediate and find some middle ground.

Again, I don't know where you're at with this or whether you've spoken to the other dog's owner, but I hope the situation is better than it seemed at first. I also hope this helped a bit, and feel free to reply if you have an update or any questions or comments!

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline

I can't get enough

Re: Possible New Dog In House - December 18th 2016, 12:31 PM

Thank you for replying Chess.

I sorta talked to her about Bentley. She always mentions how he is so gentle and her dog isn't. For example her dog goes fast to get a treat from her hand and sometimes biting. I would never allow Bentley to do this. I gave her advice how I taught Bentley to be patient and "gentle" so now she is doing the same, sometimes. We talked, she mentioned they get along great when I am not home (I've allowed her to have Bentley there) and I need to bring up that if she puts him in my room he needs to go in his crate. She said she tried and he tried to bite her. I find it amusing a little because I am patient with him when he goes in and I give him a treat, no one else seems to be patient with him.

The only issue Bentley has is he puts his mouth around Snooki's neck. I think Bentley learned a bad habit when my ex had a cat, Bentley would pick the cat up by the neck and carry her. I think that is what he is trying to do, but he is gentle. I am now training Bentley to give kisses and be gentle with her, but it's a slow process. Snooki is a real b*tch of a dog, sorry for being so blunt. Snooki yelps and gets all mad at Bentley for walking by if she has a bone when Bentley doesn't want it (I understand it's a territorial thing). Yesterday, she got mad at Bentley cause he was trying to play and she just freaked at him, had to tell them to knock it off. When I hear her get into these moods, I tell Bentley to stop. I have just let them work it out as well. Bentley has laid down beside Snooki with some distance while she chews on a bone. Bentley is learning about her space more.

He doesn't have any toys anymore. My roommate put them all in his box, not sure why. I have this one toy that is long, fluffy and has some weird plastic material in the middle (so it's skinny but the head and tail) and he usually plays with it. I guess both dogs had issues? I think my roommate mentioned something about it one night I came home, but I can't remember. Snooki destroys toys as why the owner won't give her toys with fluff in them. When I first got a fluffy toy for Bentley I thought he would put a hole in it, but he never did. I am getting Bentley some of those mind-intelligent toys/games to play to keep him busy as having fluff filled toys won't work.

I know in the mornings Bentley is really hyper and is much for Snooki and the owner, I usually walk him (if the weather isn't to cold outside) and go to this fenced in part to let him run around in the snow. That doesn't always help, he comes back with the same energy almost. I've explained to the roommate he is a hyperactive dog and no matter what I do he will always have energy. She doesn't actually believe me.

Another big thing I am having issues with is that her dog hasn't been to the vet in 3+ years... Bentley is going this Wednesday morning for a check up and his vaccines. I know one of them it's not good for Bentley to be around other dogs because there is a higher risk for other dogs getting sick. I need to talk to his new vet about it. I can't make her take her dog to the vet. I mean her dog doesn't even wear a collar with tags and IDs which I can't enforce at all because it's none of my business. I just think is poor ownership, she cares about her dog. I am worried when I get to the vet and explain there is another dog who hasn't been to a vet in 3+ years, it might cause more concerns. I asked her if Snooki has her rabies, she said yes. I don't recall when or how long the rabies shot would last. Bentley is good for the next 2 years for rabies, as he got the 3 year shot last year.

+

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
A glitch in the system.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Possible New Dog In House - December 27th 2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WretatsyRemedial View Post
I sorta talked to her about Bentley. She always mentions how he is so gentle and her dog isn't. For example her dog goes fast to get a treat from her hand and sometimes biting. I would never allow Bentley to do this. I gave her advice how I taught Bentley to be patient and "gentle" so now she is doing the same, sometimes. We talked, she mentioned they get along great when I am not home (I've allowed her to have Bentley there) and I need to bring up that if she puts him in my room he needs to go in his crate. She said she tried and he tried to bite her. I find it amusing a little because I am patient with him when he goes in and I give him a treat, no one else seems to be patient with him.
I think this is a good idea. Teaching things like bite inhibition is vital if you want a well-behaved dog, but it's going to be most effective when everyone's on the same page. If they're not, the dog will likely learn different rules for everyone. For example Bentley might think he only has to be gentle with you and not anybody else if you're the only one who holds this boundary with him. Everyone needs to follow the same rules and processes if they want the dog/s to behave in a certain way; one person should be in charge of the training but everyone should be involved, if possible. It might be good to sit down with your roommates and talk about this so everyone knows what they need to do.

Quote:
The only issue Bentley has is he puts his mouth around Snooki's neck. I think Bentley learned a bad habit when my ex had a cat, Bentley would pick the cat up by the neck and carry her. I think that is what he is trying to do, but he is gentle. I am now training Bentley to give kisses and be gentle with her, but it's a slow process. Snooki is a real b*tch of a dog, sorry for being so blunt. Snooki yelps and gets all mad at Bentley for walking by if she has a bone when Bentley doesn't want it (I understand it's a territorial thing). Yesterday, she got mad at Bentley cause he was trying to play and she just freaked at him, had to tell them to knock it off. When I hear her get into these moods, I tell Bentley to stop. I have just let them work it out as well. Bentley has laid down beside Snooki with some distance while she chews on a bone. Bentley is learning about her space more.
As I think I said before, part of this is going to involve letting the dogs sort out their own boundaries and find some common ground in how they interact with each other. It sounds like Bentley is doing a good job of that, and it might just take Snooki some time to adjust to being around another dog so often. With the resource guarding (Snooki being possessive of her food), there are some ways you can go about minimising that behaviour. For example you could get her used to having Bentley nearby (but not close enough to interact) while she's eating, so she starts to learn that he's not a threat and he's not going to steal her food. You could also try reinforcing her good behaviour, for example giving her a more high value treat than the one she already has if she doesn't become territorial with Bentley around, if that makes sense.

Quote:

He doesn't have any toys anymore. My roommate put them all in his box, not sure why. I have this one toy that is long, fluffy and has some weird plastic material in the middle (so it's skinny but the head and tail) and he usually plays with it. I guess both dogs had issues? I think my roommate mentioned something about it one night I came home, but I can't remember. Snooki destroys toys as why the owner won't give her toys with fluff in them. When I first got a fluffy toy for Bentley I thought he would put a hole in it, but he never did. I am getting Bentley some of those mind-intelligent toys/games to play to keep him busy as having fluff filled toys won't work.

I know in the mornings Bentley is really hyper and is much for Snooki and the owner, I usually walk him (if the weather isn't to cold outside) and go to this fenced in part to let him run around in the snow. That doesn't always help, he comes back with the same energy almost. I've explained to the roommate he is a hyperactive dog and no matter what I do he will always have energy. She doesn't actually believe me.
I would definitely agree with this. When people think of exercising their dogs they often only think of the physical side of it, but most dogs also require a fair amount of mental stimulation - especially active breeds like yours. There are a lot of ways you can add some mental stimulation into your dog's day, all of which may help him feel more settled and less energetic. I would recommend having a look into the different types of toys and food dispensers that you can get to see what might be good. It doesn't have to take a lot of time, either; it can be as simple as scatter-feeding or putting your dog's biscuits into a ball so he has to figure out how to get them out. Even just training for a few minutes a day can help; anything that requires your dog to think and respond to stimuli counts as mental stimulation, so have a play with it and see what your dog likes.

Quote:
Another big thing I am having issues with is that her dog hasn't been to the vet in 3+ years... Bentley is going this Wednesday morning for a check up and his vaccines. I know one of them it's not good for Bentley to be around other dogs because there is a higher risk for other dogs getting sick. I need to talk to his new vet about it. I can't make her take her dog to the vet. I mean her dog doesn't even wear a collar with tags and IDs which I can't enforce at all because it's none of my business. I just think is poor ownership, she cares about her dog. I am worried when I get to the vet and explain there is another dog who hasn't been to a vet in 3+ years, it might cause more concerns. I asked her if Snooki has her rabies, she said yes. I don't recall when or how long the rabies shot would last. Bentley is good for the next 2 years for rabies, as he got the 3 year shot last year.
I agree that it's negligent or even potentially dangerous to not take your dog to the vet for so long. Maybe you could talk to the other owner and see if you can encourage her to take her dog to the vet, or at least find out why she's reluctant to do so; a yearly checkup is a very good idea if you want to have a healthy, happy dog. If there's going to be two dogs in the house it would be a really good idea for them both to be vaccinated at the very least, and for you to get any potential problems sorted out quickly so that they don't affect the other dog.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

Closed Thread