TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

My Kitty - January 16th 2017, 11:23 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of death or grieving, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

We just got back from an emergency trip to the vet with my kitty. He lost control of his back legs, fell down the basement stairs, then was out of it and stumbling around in pain. This happened back in July too, except that time he just collapsed, but we were completely convinced he was dying in front of us. They don't know what it is, but took blood work. They said if these are seizures (which was my first guess), then it's likely something that won't be treatable. He's recovered relatively well considering, but still... I'm expecting to have to put him down. Not only are these events not fair to him, but every time I hear a noise I panic and think he's dying. He's elderly, but he's not frail and aside from these two episodes, and throwing up a lot (which he always has), he's been fine. Mom says we're not getting another one because they live so long she doesn't want any more.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#2 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: My Kitty - January 17th 2017, 05:34 AM

Hey Katie,

I am so sorry that this is happening to your kitty. I am not quite sure what exactly you are looking for but I am going to try to give my best advice.

I know how hard it is to have a pet that has so much trouble that you think the best thing for them is to put them down. About 6 years ago we had a dog that had seizures and she was only like 4 but her quality of life wasn't good because she would have them every other day almost. The best thing for the pet is to put them to rest I think because when they deal with medical stuff it makes their quality of life not so good.

As far as your mom saying you cannot get another cat because they live to long. Maybe you could ask your mom if you could rescue a senior cat, or a cat that is like 7 that way they won't live as long as if you get a kitten and you can still have a cat.

I hope I helped a little bit.

If you ever need anything you can PM/VM me anytime

Your Friend,
Frankie

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Re: My Kitty - January 17th 2017, 07:52 AM

She says if it's not treatable, we'll wait for his quality of life to decline before we put him down. Once he recovers from these, he's pretty close to back to normal.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: My Kitty - January 17th 2017, 10:06 AM

Katie, I am so sorry to hear this. Cats are my favorite animals, and we had this issue with one of our cats a few years back. He had diabetes and got very sick suddenly... he was rushed to the animal hospital near the city but had to be put down. We didn't want him to suffer any more than he was, it would be cruel and inhumane. Unfortunately, I didn't get to say goodbye to my kitty.

Make sure your kitty's days are filled with comfort and love. If you can arrange for her to be put down at home, then go for it. Because I think that's where pets deserve to cross over the Rainbow Bridge: in a familiar setting.

If you ever need to chat, I am here.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Re: My Kitty - January 17th 2017, 07:12 PM

They think it might be diabetes, they're running the test now. If it is we'll try special food and insulin injections (no idea how we're going to get those in him) and if he doesn't respond, then it'll be time.

Closed Thread