TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

My Dog. - February 6th 2017, 05:22 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So I don't usually post stuff about my personal life on here but today, I had to put my dog of 17 years down and I'm not sure how I'm taking it. I feel numb. I feel lost. I can't get the images of my dog being at the vet out of my head. I'm grateful that I'll be busy over the next couple of days so I won't really have to think about it and that's what I'll be doing, I guess, until time passes. I feel awful that we had to put our dog down but he was suffering and we didn't want that. He was such a massive part of our life and it feels weird already that he's not here.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: My Dog. - February 6th 2017, 02:48 PM

Hey,
I am so sorry that you had to put your dog down. That is such a difficult thing to deal with. But what helped me when we put our dogs down is that we saved them from suffering even more. If we were to let them die on their own they would of suffered so you did the right thing. Another thing that helps me is to remember the good things about your dog. Remember a happy moment and when the picture of your dog at the vet comes up just picture that happy moment.

I really hoped this helped a little.
If you ever need to talk, vent, or need someone to listen I am just a PM/VM away.

Your Friend,
Frankie<3

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: My Dog. - February 6th 2017, 09:34 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. Losing a pet is always a hard thing to come to terms with. I know how hard of a decision that it is. I've lost a few pets by having to get them put down. You need to make sure that you give yourself time to grieve over it.

Most of the time I always found that I went through a couple different stages.

For a bit, I felt extremely guilty. I felt like I made the wrong decision and that I should have kept them. You may also start to question that if you were a good pet owner or not.

Then I started going into denial. I denied for a few days that my pet was actually gone. I convinced myself that my pet was at the vets or the store.

After a few days I became very angry. I took my anger out at a lot of different people, including myself.

And as everyone else, I went into a deep depression.

All of these emotions are normal. People deal with all of these emotions when dealing with a loss. I consider pets as family, and that's what makes it so hard. Try and do things to distract yourself. You can write a letter to your dog, go for walks, do something that entertains you and ultimately, take care of yourself.

You may never be ready to get a pet again, it all depends on the person. I was able to get a new pet, but it took a few days.

Whatever you do, do not blame yourself. You didn't do anything wrong. The best thing you did, was potentially stopped your pet from hurting. Animals can't tell us when they are in pain which is always hard.

I hope you're okay, you know where I am if you need anything at all.

Stay strong,
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
A glitch in the system.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: My Dog. - February 6th 2017, 11:15 PM

Hey,

I'm so sorry to hear this, but I want to take a moment to reassure you that you absolutely did the right thing. It's never easy to lose a pet, and in some ways it's even harder when you have to make that call to have them put to sleep. But you said it yourself, you did it to prevent more suffering, and I think that's a very responsible, loving thing to round out that seventeen year long relationship. You did right by your dog, even if it may not feel like it, and you should be proud of that.

It's going to feel weird for a long time. Pets take up places not only in our houses but in our hearts. You get into a rhythm with them, and it can take a while to adjust to the little things you didn't pay much attention to before. Sometimes you might catch yourself forgetting and thinking you need to feed your dog or take them for a walk, and that's totally okay. Give yourself time and be patient with yourself; this is the worst of it, and it will get better.

Like Brittany said, remember to take care of yourself. People grieve in different ways, and you're going to grieve differently for each loss. So don't be worried if you're reacting to this in a different way than what you expected; that's just a reflection of the unique relationship you had with your dog. Another important thing to remember is that some people may try to belittle your grief with the ever-popular attitude of ''it's only a dog'', but please don't listen to them. Pets are family, and you have every right to mourn your dog's passing.

I hope this helped a bit, and once again I am so sorry for your loss. Feel free to reply to this thread or PM me if you want to talk, and I hope things look up for you a little bit soon.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: My Dog. - February 8th 2017, 07:09 PM

Hey,

I am so sorry for your loss. It is never, ever easy losing a pet. And especially one that has been part of your life for that long. Whether you've got an appointment or it comes naturally, it's still a brutal blow. I had to endure the loss of three cats, two were put down and one died in her sleep in my parents' room at home. I cried for days, and wondered how I could cope. I think the two surviving cats (both of which were put down) dealt with the loss their own way as well. One just completely checked out and had to be brought to the emergency vet. He was my baby (and nicknamed 'baby') I never got to say bye to him.

At least your dog had you with them when they crossed the Rainbow Bridge. I think the important thing you have to remember is that your pet is no longer suffering. They'll continue to be with you in different ways, not just the physical form. They might appear in your dreams (all three of my cats have over the years) or there might be a sign in your ordinary going-abouts day by day, and you might get reminded of them from it. Hold on to that as well as the memories you had with your dog.

It'll be a long time before you can begin to recover from your loss, but you can get there. Your dog would want you to carry on with a smile. <3

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: My Dog. - February 13th 2017, 05:40 AM

Thank you everyone.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread