TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
anemoia Offline
don't be lasagna

I can't get enough

Cone of shame not working out. - April 20th 2017, 02:56 AM

Right, my cat was neutered today and he's doing really well overall.

The vet said he might need an e-collar once the anesthetic wore off. Turns out that he does because he has constantly been trying to lick himself and bite off the glue from this tattoo type marking they put on cats to show they've been neutered/spayed. He doesn't have any actual sutures on the outside of his body, so him pulling them out isn't a worry. Though, there is always the risk of infection.

The e-collar ended up going horribly. I watched him ram himself forcefully into things for 20 minutes before taking it off him. I realise that it's better for him to be uncomfortable wearing the e-collar compared to him getting an infection and needing antibiotics or even more surgery (this was the logic I used to convince my mother to buy it in the first place), but he was going to end up injuring himself from ramming into things.

I will be giving the vet a call sometime tomorrow to ask what they recommend I do because with or without the e-collar he's going to harm himself in some way.

In the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions of other ways to keep him from accidentally harming himself, that'd be great! I've priced soft e-collars and Googled to look for other options, but there doesn't seem to be any that I want to waste money on since they're like the e-collar we already bought.

Aside from watching him constantly and calling him/squirting him with water, I'm not sure what to do.

the darkest day. the blackest hour.
chin up, shoulders back.
let's see what we're made of, you and i.

pm / vm

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Narrative. Offline
Demons Jim, demons.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Cone of shame not working out. - April 24th 2017, 01:02 AM

I'm so sorry you haven't received a reply to this. Did you end up calling the vet to see what they recommend?

Hopefully your cat is doing better now; sometimes it just takes them a while to get used to something new, like a cone of shame.

it's a whisper turned a battle cry
we're still here 'cause we refuse to die

(#3 (permalink)) Old
anemoia Offline
don't be lasagna

I can't get enough

Re: Cone of shame not working out. - April 24th 2017, 01:10 AM

Not to worry! The vet did agree that the cone did seem counter productive, but to give him a bit of time and he should leave things alone. He did actually calm down a good bit and wasn't bothering anything too much anymore. He managed to chew off all the glue on his stomach, but didn't irritate anything too badly.

So for the most part this can be closed. Thanks for replying, though!

the darkest day. the blackest hour.
chin up, shoulders back.
let's see what we're made of, you and i.

pm / vm

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Narrative. Offline
Demons Jim, demons.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Cone of shame not working out. - April 24th 2017, 02:29 AM

I'm glad it all worked out well. I'll close the thread now, but feel free to make a new one if you need any more (very belated) help.

it's a whisper turned a battle cry
we're still here 'cause we refuse to die

Closed Thread