TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FallonRose Offline
Mind Mischief
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Exclamation Very Sick Stray! - June 15th 2017, 04:29 PM

My roommates found a very very sick stray cat under one of their cars this morning so we're trying to figure out how best to nurse her back to health. I have never seen a skinnier cat in my life especially for being less than a year old so it's very obvious she's been malnourished for awhile. I know to keep her warm, we've also given her a bath, and I need to go buy some formula so we can mix it with the dry cat food we have. Does anyone know anything else about how to help her?? We really don't want to go put her down.

Live Help Mentor 4/29/2017
Message me if you need anything.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Very Sick Stray! - June 15th 2017, 04:46 PM

I'm not sure what the regulations are like for strays where you're from, but usually you have to alert someone that you've found a stray. My housemates and I took in a stray dog about a month ago and had to inform a warden, who then let us carry on with the rehoming process ourselves, and if nobody claimed him after 28 days, you can become the legal owner. Like I say, I'm not sure how it works where you are from, but I'd encourage you to look into it just to make sure you're in the clear!

If you can, I'd take the cat into a Vets as well. It's great that you want to nurse her back to health, so a vet will be able to recommend any food which may help her put weight back on and maintain her health. Also, a vet will be able to tell you if there are any additional issues which may come with being malnourished, such as skin conditions, fleas, and even internal problems that you may not be aware of. She may also have matted fur which a vet would be able to remove with minimal pain, and depending on how matted the fur is, you may not be able to do it yourself. There may be charity vets practices which work through optional donations if you're not too sure you can afford it, so do a bit of research, but if you can, I'd definitely get her checked over!

Apart from that, I'd just make sure sure she's warm and safe! I think it's a lovely thing that you're doing! Depending on the process for strays in your area, you could keep her (if you're allowed and want to), or look into rehoming her through social media or registered cat/dog homes in the area. It can be difficult to know if these places euthanise though so you can always ask a vet for recommendations or give some places a call, or even see if you can visit and see what the conditions are like so you can make an informed decision too.

I hope this helps a bit! And I hope the kitty cat is doing ok.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#3 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Very Sick Stray! - June 15th 2017, 05:09 PM

Hollie said pretty much everything I wanted to. Just want to add that if you already have cats in your home do not let the stray have contact with them. There are a good number of contagious illnesses that can have quite negative effects in the long run. It's also important for any cat to be checked for those diseases because some of them don't immediately present symptoms. Some are even passed from the mother cat to the kitten if the mother was also a stray.

This is more for you, but if you and your roommates are renting the place you live in, a lot of companies do not allow pets or require you to pay a monthly fee to have one. I've not come across a land lord company that allows pets without a fee along with a deposit (like a security deposit, but for animals). Any damage that might happen while you have the pet you could be responsible for. Which could be if the cat urinates or sprays and also just general destruction (and holy heck are younger cats destructive!).

Personally, when I come across a stray that isn't doing well, I call a nearby vet clinic that captures strays to neuter/spay them, give them any needed vaccinations, and any needed medical care. Not all vet clinics do this, but quite a few in my area do. It's worth looking into.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

(#4 (permalink)) Old
FallonRose Offline
Mind Mischief
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Re: Very Sick Stray! - June 15th 2017, 06:03 PM

I ended up surrendering her to the Humane Society so this thread can be closed. Thank you all for your responses regardless

Live Help Mentor 4/29/2017
Message me if you need anything.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Very Sick Stray! - June 16th 2017, 12:28 AM

Since this issue has been resolved I am going to go ahead and close the thread. Feel free to message me if you'd like it re-opened.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread