TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pets Whether you prefer four-legged creatures, reptiles, or any animal in between, use this forum for any questions you have about your pets or pets you would like to have.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
matthewmatters Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Matthew

cats running away - July 19th 2017, 07:46 PM

i had a cat for about a year, but one day, she just left without saying goodbye
i wondered if there are any actual reasons for them doing this and if others here ever had similar things happen with their cats

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: cats running away - July 19th 2017, 08:35 PM

Was it an actual pet or was it a stray that you took on as a pet?

I have had a lot of animals and none of them have just left. The one I lost ended up getting out and by the time people realized it they couldn't find her. I assume that either someone else happened to find her and kept her or she ended up getting so far away from home that she was never able to find us again.

My boyfriend had a cat who got out one day and never came back. It is likely that he couldn't find his way back.

The fact is that in most cases animals who get out will come back if they can find their way home. Animals are smart and know where they are safe and where they will be provided for. So, most the other animals I have had that have gotten out would end up coming back.

However, if the animal was a stray it can sometimes be different for them depending on how long they have been a stray. Some strays will definitely stick around if you are feeding them because they know they are guaranteed a meal. However, for some odd reason some strays will disappear (sometimes reappearing months or even a year later).

That being said, I suppose there are exceptions to all of this? I've just always been told that if an animal can find their way home they are more likely to return home. That's why when a cat initially gets out people will suggest putting it's kitty litter out because they they tend to stay close to home and supposedly (not sure if it works but people within the pet rescue community have suggested it) the cat will come back because it can smell the litter.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
matthewmatters Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: cats running away - July 20th 2017, 11:07 AM

Well, i got this one from someone else who didn't want the cat anymore only a year old, but had spent a year with me before leaving

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: cats running away - July 21st 2017, 02:32 PM

Was your cat an indoor and outdoor cat?

Sometimes outdoor cats get distracted (e.g. They want to hunt) and they run off. The same goes for indoor cats; they see something and can easily slip out the door on you.

Sometimes cats leave and reappear within time; some cats are like that. Do you know how your cat's health was? That could have something to do with it.

I could be wrong but from what I have read, cats will return home if they are able to. If they do not return it is because they are unable to come home.

Last year, one of my solely indoor cats accidentally got out and was gone for two weeks. We went out every day and night and walked and yelled for her but she didn't reappear until someone found her under our car in the driveway. We don't know for sure but we think someone snagged her because she didn't have a collar at the time and she is pretty.

The year before that, someone let one of my cats out and we tried to be hopeful but a week later, someone called because they had found him after he was hit by a car.

In both instances, the cats knew where home was but something kept them from returning to us. One died and the other couldn't come home for whatever reason.

Does your cat have a collar? Do you know if your cat really liked your friend? Because he could have gone back to find your friend. It can be difficult when your cat disappears but try to remain hopeful. Your cat may return to you at some point.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#5 (permalink)) Old
matthewmatters Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: cats running away - July 21st 2017, 10:00 PM

she did have a collar but not like the dog (who was okay with her btw they both chilled on my bed together) but the dogs collar has the house phone number on, so if she got lost then any decent person who found her would let us know
i really dont know what the cat thought of the owner as i didnt know her, it was literally just one of those online buy a cat sort of sites and all the people who were giving away cats in my city were listed
but the house was some way from my house, so if my cat had gone looking for her old home, it's likely she lost her way

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Narrative. Offline
words MEAN things

TeenHelp Addict

Re: cats running away - July 22nd 2017, 02:46 AM

There are many reasons why a cat may decide to leave their home. She may have returned to her previous owner - even if she wasn't really attached to the person, she may well have wanted to return to her territory, to a place where she felt safe. If she hadn't been spayed, she could have gone off to start herself a family. She may have just wandered too far from home, been unable to find her way back, and set up camp somewhere else. She could have found herself a new human family (e.g. if she got lost and ended up confused and hungry, and someone came across her and offered her food and a place to sleep, she may have decided to just stick around there). Of course, there are the less pleasant options - maybe she intended to come back home but something stopped her. That said, there's always hope. I had a cat once who went missing, and just when we were thinking he wouldn't come back, he showed up one night covered in burs and grass seeds and looking suitably abashed. This is the same cat who was so attached to his house that when we moved into it and he and his owners moved out, he started to make the long, dangerous commute back to it (they had moved to the next town over, which meant he had to trek through the bush and across several busy roads to reach us) so frequently that his owners eventually decided it was safer for him to just stay with us. Anything is possible, and although it's hard to say for sure why your cat might have left, it's likely that she will try to return if she considers your place her home.

just because it hurts to go on
doesn't mean the battle can't still be won
;

Closed Thread